Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

On 4/14/2022 at 11:50 AM, cobrakai said:

Interesting situation i've noticed lately.  There are 2 seller accounts that are flooding a bunch of listings ("i-Deals store" and "Deep_Discount_Entertainment").  They don't seem to be hitting the Lego listings yet, but lots of other toys. When you click their storefront info, they both have the same address in Florida.  If you google the address, it comes up as "Alliance Entertainment Corporation," which is a large distributor that used to focus on DVDs/CDs and other media.  I know when I worked retail, they used to supply us with the new release countertop DVDs.  I know they have started getting into toys and collectibles recently because I recall being solicited by one of their salespeople who used to be my rep with another distributor.  On some listings, they will just immediately tank prices to MSRP on new release items with seemingly no regard for Amazon fees.  On other items, they will price at normal, competitive secondary market prices.  On some listings, both of these seller accounts will be on the listing at totally different prices.  I just thought this was interesting and i'm not sure there is anything shady going on, but I thought you needed a good reason to have a 2nd seller account.  I didn't think you were supposed to be selling the same products on your second seller account.  Here is an example where both sellers are on the listing at the same time:

https://www.amazon.com/Mega-GNY53-Construx-Fighter-Jet/dp/B07YT7PN5T

I've started to notice a ton of new Turkish sellers on the newer collectible minifigure series like Marvel Series 21 and Series 22.  They immediately slash prices making it impossible to turn a profit.  For example ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BNX6F7T  

Up until January, FireStar Toys and Brick Takeover were the only 2 stores I regularly came across located outside the US.  Anyone else think this is odd?  I try to mind my own business but these Turkish sellers are killing the bottom line.  

I also see things like this where 2 sellers have the same address only the suite is slightly different.  If you google the address the first thing that comes up is "Another scam recorded from business related to 30 N. Gould ..."

BINBIRCE LLC --> https://www.amazon.com/sp?ie=UTF8&seller=A3AS4VD8457FRO

Nivi Store Inc --> https://www.amazon.com/sp?seller=A3IRLJR6T57DXZ

30 minutes ago, SleepingGiant said:

I've started to notice a ton of new Turkish sellers on the newer collectible minifigure series like Marvel Series 21 and Series 22.  They immediately slash prices making it impossible to turn a profit.  For example ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BNX6F7T  

Just some Turkey based FBA sellers that got the minifigs for $2 a pack? :drag:

On 4/14/2022 at 11:04 AM, cobrakai said:

I tend to agree, but the whole thing is strange.  I wonder what their legitimate business reason for the 2nd selling account was.  Both accounts are registered under "DIRECTTOU", which is owned by Alliance Entertainment. I did find this when googling and researching them:

DirectToU LLC is the parent company of several wholesale and direct-to-consumer distributors of music, video and software[1] including (but not limited to):

Collector's Choice

DeepDiscount.com

CCVinyl[2]

PopMarket[3]

WOW HD (Formerly CD Wow!)

ImportCDs

DirectToU LLC is owned by Alliance Entertainment. Alliance Entertainment and its subsidiaries own 48%[4] of the global vinyl record distribution market.

they don't sell actual sets,.

webami.jpg

Edited by chaozz

• 3 weeks later...

This is a first.  I sold a $500 set to an FPO AP address 3 1/2 months ago.  Today, it unexpectedly came back to me, looking like this:

PXL_20220504_212416999.thumb.jpg.52f48c333d6b6dc764321f6da4fd6713.jpg

One of the many labels on the package says "Return to sender - invalid or closed military designated unit" (looks like the buyer never got it).  Not surprisingly, the box is completely destroyed and at least a few parts bags are busted with many loose parts scattered around.  The odd thing is I don't believe there has been a return request/refund yet (I'm sure that's coming when I least expect it).  Any suggestions on what actions I should take?  I have $500.00 insurance by USPS / U-PIC -- should I file a claim for that (although I don't even know where to file it from -- USPS or U-PIC -- and U-PIC's site says you only have 90 days from the shipping date, and this came back on day 102)?

Edited by I am Niko
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, I am Niko said:

This is a first.  I sold a $500 set to an FPO AP address 3 1/2 months ago.  Today, it unexpectedly came back to me, looking like this:

PXL_20220504_212416999.thumb.jpg.52f48c333d6b6dc764321f6da4fd6713.jpg

One of the many labels on the package says "Return to sender - invalid or closed military designated unit" (looks like the buyer never got it).  Not surprisingly, the box is completely destroyed and at least a few parts bags are busted with many loose parts scattered around.  The odd thing is I don't believe there has been a return request/refund yet (I'm sure that's coming when I least expect it).  Any suggestions on what actions I should take?  I have $500.00 insurance by USPS / U-PIC -- should I file a claim for that (although I don't even know where to file it from -- USPS or U-PIC -- and U-PIC's site says you only have 90 days from the shipping date, and this came back on day 102)?

I would file a claim and see if they pay it, As for Amazon unless they open A-Z i would do nothing. It's past 90 day so feedback can't be left.

Edited by chaozz

17 hours ago, chaozz said:

I would file a claim and see if they pay it, As for Amazon unless they open A-Z i would do nothing. It's past 90 day so feedback can't be left.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get anywhere with USPS on insurance (probably not).  If the customer contacted AMZ directly and they refunded him, that would show on the order page, correct?  I don't see any adjustments on the original order page, don't see anything in the returns yet, and I just ran a summary report and I don't see any adjustments for it.  Maybe this customer has extraordinary patience.

3 hours ago, I am Niko said:

Maybe this customer has extraordinary patience.

or no longer on this earth.  who knows.  i have had several instances of items returned-to-sender without a refund request or any followup on the order from the customer though nothing this big.

my standard operating procedure on the amazon side of things is to do nothing until prompted by amazon or the customer which has never happened.  

in my case the items were resellable and lower cost though not cheap (one item was $300) and i didn't care since i was never asked to fulfill a refund.

if you sold the item and you made your money and your not being asked to offer a refund, i would take pictures of the damaged item, open it up and take more pictures just in case the customer files a return.  your response is to ask for proof that the item is returned because you never received a set like they one you sent out.  they have no proof the item was returned to you and you don't need to admit it was returned to you.   then part it out or build it and if you ever get contacted you have your photos.  

going to look and see what is up with the customer and that messaging you can't give them a full refund bcuz item is damaged blah blah blah - that's just asking for double helping of trouble. 

i'd keep my head down and move on to the next sale and chalk this up to the mysteries of the retail universe and if u get hassled down the road u have ur photos and  ur like oh yeah now i know wtf this pos damaged set i received is from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cladner said:

or no longer on this earth.  who knows.  i have had several instances of items returned-to-sender without a refund request or any followup on the order from the customer though nothing this big.

my standard operating procedure on the amazon side of things is to do nothing until prompted by amazon or the customer which has never happened.  

in my case the items were resellable and lower cost though not cheap (one item was $300) and i didn't care since i was never asked to fulfill a refund.

if you sold the item and you made your money and your not being asked to offer a refund, i would take pictures of the damaged item, open it up and take more pictures just in case the customer files a return.  your response is to ask for proof that the item is returned because you never received a set like they one you sent out.  they have no proof the item was returned to you and you don't need to admit it was returned to you.   then part it out or build it and if you ever get contacted you have your photos.  

going to look and see what is up with the customer and that messaging you can't give them a full refund bcuz item is damaged blah blah blah - that's just asking for double helping of trouble. 

i'd keep my head down and move on to the next sale and chalk this up to the mysteries of the retail universe and if u get hassled down the road u have ur photos and  ur like oh yeah now i know wtf this pos damaged set i received is from.

Appreciate the insight and I'll be taking that advice...I definitely wouldn't reach out to the customer or anything like that.  I did wonder if the recipient might have passed away, but didn't want to go there :(

• Like 1

i successfully got a soul crushing negative feedback (first in over a year bye bye 100%) removed after some cranky pants half demented grandma left me 1 star with a review "how should i know whether this thing is any good its for my grandson".

Antonio GIF - Antonio - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

personal record discount and all time low i have ever paid shipping on amazon.  my shipping settings are hyped.2tha max.  winning $5 on a $2 scratcher level of endorphin release happening.    amazon.  making smalls great again.

image.png.a07167c8c51354e6632c9ec82252e017.png

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, cladner said:

personal record discount and all time low i have ever paid shipping on amazon.  my shipping settings are hyped.2tha max.  winning $5 on a $2 scratcher level of endorphin release happening.    amazon.  making smalls great again.

I shipped an order for $2.68 today.  Brought back memories of USPS circa 2019

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, cladner said:

Just wait until UPS says your 6x4x3", 4oz box was actually 96x54x20" and 87 lbs, then proceeds to bill you $2,500.  Then you spend the next two months having Amazon tell you to contact UPS, and UPS tell you to contact Amazon..  Sorry for killing your good vibe 😆

Edited by I am Niko
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, cladner said:

Not sure if anyone else has this happen, But a lot of days say after 3pm all discounts go away. When I go to ship the next day that same order is now discounted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I detected a dropshipper with buyer's name: James (who listed himself as business customer). This person made two consecutive orders with different names and different shipping addresses, associated with different PO***** attached to the shipping addresses (PO I assume stands for purchase order). I initially did not realize what PO was until the second order was in with the same pattern of shipping address. I already shipped out the first order and am hesitant to proceed with the second one. Can any members who have experience with dropshippers guide me what to do? Should I message him to let him know I don't want dropshippers to mingle with my business or open a case at Amazon (which I believe it would be a total useless step)?

1 hour ago, tyclin said:

I think I detected a dropshipper with buyer's name: James (who listed himself as business customer). This person made two consecutive orders with different names and different shipping addresses, associated with different PO***** attached to the shipping addresses (PO I assume stands for purchase order). I initially did not realize what PO was until the second order was in with the same pattern of shipping address. I already shipped out the first order and am hesitant to proceed with the second one. Can any members who have experience with dropshippers guide me what to do? Should I message him to let him know I don't want dropshippers to mingle with my business or open a case at Amazon (which I believe it would be a total useless step)?

Disable shipping to po in ur shipping options like me and never deal with this crap again.  PO means u have to use USPS to ship.  that is almost never the cheapest option.  as a control freak, i don't like it when customers take away my options in how i get an item to them so i disable PO.  also in my experience over the years, i have had disproportionate number of problem buyers at PO boxes.

in your case i would not message the buyer. that is asking for trouble.

i would either send out the item purchasing shipping through amazon or if ur metrics can take the hit, cancel the order and use address not deliverable as the reason.  then after you send or cancel the order you can go back to that individual order details page for order and in the upper right next to the refund order button there is a "request a review" button where you can hit that and say you think the buyer is drop shipping from you.  u might be wrong and/or amazon may not give a crap but at least you did something.

when ur getting orders from business buyers it usually means ur pricing too low and someone else can eek out a small profit or spend less money on shipping by having you do the work.   as fbm seller,  pricing is the weakest lever to push on amazon to make a sale.  the strongest lever is arrival time/delivery -  having your shipping settings set up so that ur homestate and adjacent states shows up getting items in 1-2 days allows you to price at instock FBA as an fbm seller and capture the buybox.  

Edited by cladner

1 hour ago, cladner said:

Disable shipping to po in ur shipping options like me and never deal with this crap again.  PO means u have to use USPS to ship.  that is almost never the cheapest option.  as a control freak, i don't like it when customers take away my options in how i get an item to them so i disable PO.  also in my experience over the years, i have had disproportionate number of problem buyers at PO boxes.

in your case i would not message the buyer. that is asking for trouble.

i would either send out the item purchasing shipping through amazon or if ur metrics can take the hit, cancel the order and use address not deliverable as the reason.  then after you send or cancel the order you can go back to that individual order details page for order and in the upper right next to the refund order button there is a "request a review" button where you can hit that and say you think the buyer is drop shipping from you.  u might be wrong and/or amazon may not give a crap but at least you did something.

when ur getting orders from business buyers it usually means ur pricing too low and someone else can eek out a small profit or spend less money on shipping by having you do the work.   as fbm seller,  pricing is the weakest lever to push on amazon to make a sale.  the strongest lever is arrival time/delivery -  having your shipping settings set up so that ur homestate and adjacent states shows up getting items in 1-2 days allows you to price at instock FBA as an fbm seller and capture the buybox.  

Thank you for your input.

Just want to clarify the following "disable shipping to po". Since the first order did not mandate me to use USPS; however by disabling shipping to po, that would also eliminate the address including any wording like "PO" (in this case, it means purchase order I believe)?

1 hour ago, tyclin said:

Thank you for your input.

Just want to clarify the following "disable shipping to po". Since the first order did not mandate me to use USPS; however by disabling shipping to po, that would also eliminate the address including any wording like "PO" (in this case, it means purchase order I believe)?

I read po as Post office- post office box address usually ups fedex will not deliver to P.O. Box .  I don’t think there is much risk fulfilling the orders as long as u use Amazon to buy shipping. 

I have never had any issues with business orders with different POs. Actually I have some repeat buyers and if I the price works for me then so be it. 
i wouldn’t contact the buyer since that against Amazon’s tos. Just use Amazon’s shipping for labels, signature for expensive items and if for some reason you get a return deal with it at appropriate 

Oh not sure if ever posted before but , If you use FBA, go into your setting FBA and block france, they have been sending emails about tax.

This is even orders that go to a forwarder in say FL first.

Hello,

In accordance with the French Anti-Fraud Act (provisions of paragraph 3 of Article 242 bis of the General Tax Code), Amazon is required to provide you and the French Tax Authority details on your Selling on Amazon activity that is related to France. This information can be used to determine whether or not you have potential tax and social security obligations in France.

Edited by chaozz