Have you built 76023 The Tumbler?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. ignore.

• ignore
    • Ignore
  2. 2. Have you built 76023 The Tumbler?

• Yes
    • No

I dont belive its going after one year. Which exclusive retired after one year? This thing has at least another year. If it really goes this year, there have to be some issues with that set. (Manufactoring costs, licensing)

Bwing tells you it can happen. The tumber sells ok so would seem a strange decision - maybe those exclusive tyres are pushing up the production cost......

Everything can happen.

Lego is currently the nr. 1 toymaker in the world. If they want to keep that place they need to innovate and keep renewing themselves. So if a new movie with a new batmobile is coming out they need to be part of it. Cause they need to stay interesting for current legofans and attract new legofans in able to grow. Cause competition won't be standing still as well.

Also I think maybe this is not selling as good as we might think. Alot of my friends who are not investors like it alot! But no one owns one. Cause of the higher pricepoint and they think they still have plenty of time.

Yes, normally you would expect this to be around for at least two years. But lately Lego seems to be stepping away from logical retirement dates.

So if you do not have a Tumbler yet. And you like it. Buy it a.s.a.p. Just to be sure not to miss the boat. If it retires early this will be a homerun.

• Like 1

Everything can happen.

Lego is currently the nr. 1 toymaker in the world. If they want to keep that place they need to innovate and keep renewing themselves. So if a new movie with a new batmobile is coming out they need to be part of it. Cause they need to stay interesting for current legofans and attract new legofans in able to grow. Cause competition won't be standing still as well.

Also I think maybe this is not selling as good as we might think. Alot of my friends who are not investors like it alot! But no one owns one. Cause of the higher pricepoint and they think they still have plenty of time.

Yes, normally you would expect this to be around for at least two years. But lately Lego seems to be stepping away from logical retirement dates.

So if you do not have a Tumbler yet. And you like it. Buy it a.s.a.p. Just to be sure not to miss the boat. If it retires early this will be a homerun.

Yeah I agree. I think a lot of consumers (and maybe investors too) have been putting this set on the long finger. It wouldn't surprise me to see it go. I still think it will do well as it's just a great set. I just hope we don't see those exclusive tires pop up in another set at some stage.

• Like 1

Wouldnt it seem a bit off to have the tumbler on the shelves featuring bale and ledger as figures when the movie running then is completely different regarding the vehicle as well as the characters? The tumbler is no generic-licensed Batman set, but dedicated to the TDK trilogy. Draw your own conclusions from that.

I suppose so. But then this set only came out 2 years after the last Dark Knight movie. It's hard to know what Lego's thinking might be with this. Also, I know it's not quite the same thing, but they're still releasing OT SW sets along with new ones, I guess because they sell well. I think with the Tumbler it will just come down to how profitable it is to keep it going rather than how it aligns with current movies.

• Like 1

I suppose so. But then this set only came out 2 years after the last Dark Knight movie. It's hard to know what Lego's thinking might be with this. Also, I know it's not quite the same thing, but they're still releasing OT SW sets along with new ones, I guess because they sell well. I think with the Tumbler it will just come down to how profitable it is to keep it going rather than how it aligns with current movies.

SW is an original IP that has never seen a reboot or something like that, the whole universe is continuous, so there is no reason to exclude OT sets from the current lineup when the saga continues with a seventh movie. Comic licenses like Batman, Spider-Man, Turtles and so on, on the other hand, are not continuous, but consist of many different separate ("isolated") books or chapters that can be redone and rebootet over and over again, because you don't have to pay attention to any connections to other movies. So, what works for the "unique" SW universe and its sets, results in a conflict marketing-wise for "rebootable" series like Batman imo. To have sets from an older iteration on the shelves while a new iteration is running in cinemas should be schizophrenic enough for LEGO to not do it. People want the new stuff.

Edited by rfish
  • Like 1

This guy actually comes from my home town so i have no reason to doubt him but does he have access to this kind of intel from sources that might actually be in the know.

Just wondering if anyone knows if hes a "what I heard from a lego store employee".  Either way I want a tumbler, was going to wait but I've fallen for that one before and missed out.

Does anyone know where to find the Tumbler in Germany? I mean... outside the Lego store and SaH?

Thanks in advance.

As taran already mentioned, it is still only available through SAH and physical Lego stores (that means in Germany it really is an exclusive!)

Isn't this the same Brick Blogger that has called for the retirement of the Death Star a couple times before this year?  And the quote says retired from LEGO brand retail stores.  I could see it being phased out from retail stores due to lack of shelf space but still made available on the Shop at Home website, Amazon, Target, TRU, etc.

• Like 1

Isn't this the same Brick Blogger that has called for the retirement of the Death Star a couple times before this year?  And the quote says retired from LEGO brand retail stores.  I could see it being phased out from retail stores due to lack of shelf space but still made available on the Shop at Home website, Amazon, Target, TRU, etc.

Maybe Lego has decided to tip off this brick blogger to be sure that we don't get Town Hall'd 'cause they like us now...?

Okay, I'll bite:

"How do you know it is selling well?" or "What evidence do you have that it sells well?"

LEGO Shop at Home is still limit 1. Helicarrier came out after Tumbler & is now limit 5. Brickset has EU sales. I would say it sells well. I'm not saying it won't retire early, I'm just not saying it will.

i like the chart you provided.    we just don't know if TLG thinks the set is a financial success or not based on that info.  the set might look like a good seller to us but in reality, maybe TLG had higher sales expectation.  thus, i don't think we can judge whether a set is selling well because we don't have the original 76023 expectations to compare to actual sale #s.

I have no clue about its retirement. But finding out if it's selling well is not rocket science (any more). These sales numbers (of a Batman set in EU) with a limit of one compared to other 100+ $/€ sets - what further evidence does anyone need?

• Like 1

i like the chart you provided.    we just don't know if TLG thinks the set is a financial success or not based on that info.  the set might look like a good seller to us but in reality, maybe TLG had higher sales expectation.  thus, i don't think we can judge whether a set is selling well because we don't have the original 76203 expectations to compare to actual sale #s.

So you're saying 76203 is the replacement...? ;)

Edited by dcdfan

I have no clue about its retirement. But finding out if it's selling well is not rocket science (any more). These sales numbers (of a Batman set in EU) with a limit of one compared to other 100+ $/€ sets - what further evidence does anyone need?

This chart by itself tells us very little.  Now if you take the data from ALL the sets and compare them, then you have something.  Maybe some accounting or numbers guru out there with nothing to do can make this happen.  

This chart by itself tells us very little.  Now if you take the data from ALL the sets and compare them, then you have something.  Maybe some accounting or numbers guru out there with nothing to do can make this happen.  

I started to look at the sales rate of exclusives in Europe but it really isn't that helpful without production, marketing, and distribution costs. An example is that if I can sell 500 tumblers at a $120 profit each but I sell 1000 of a modular at $100 profit each, then future production schedules will change.  The mid range sets probably have the highest margins which will have a greater impact on schedules.

Here's my 2 little sense. 

New batman movie coming up, with a brand new variation of a batmobile.  Next year, we could possibly see a new UCS batmobile based on the one in the movie.  The tumbler goes away.

That would make 3 UCS batmobiles based on versions from a movie.  That makes sense to me, as they continue a batman UCS theme.  Regardless, worth having one for investment.  I see nothing but upwards on any UCS batmobile sets.

Edited by fossilrock