LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

Congratulations to Pirate Bay, Sesame Street, and the Playable Piano.  I think Pirate Bay will sell like hot cakes.  There hasn't been a solid pirate theme for a while (last I can remember is Pirate Roller Coaster?) and to get one on this scale is great, even though I'm not personally a huge pirate theme fan.  Sesame Street I might get for my kid, depends on how big they end up making it.  And as a musician who plays piano, drums, guitar, etc. I will probably get 2 or 3 of the pianos.  Wow, three Ideas projects... and it sounds like Anatomini has a good chance of becoming a real set during the next round as the designers continue to work out the ability to design, produce, and price it right.

Edited by MusiKyle
Typo

Happy about the Pirate Bay, that's what I was rooting for.  All of these seem like larger models, which is a little surprising.

25 minutes ago, Rodeogeorge said:

We do not lump the time honored AV club in the same group as buzzfeed.

Considering some of the other sites under the same family as AV Club, I don't think it's a stretch. 

10 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

As a dad who is currently watching Sesame Street, I'm excited about that. I never liked the pirates that much and this one just seems like a suped up 6270 Forbidden Island like I had as a kid.

Lots of great memories watching Sesame Street for me. I still haven't watched it since it went to HBO.

• Like 2

Love these choices - all three of them!  Clearly Lego has gotten very comfortable with the larger Ideas sets.  

Sesame Street will be gold after EOL, though I do wish that they could do a new mold for Big Bird's head.  

High hopes for Pirate Bay as well, as I see this having a similar audience as OFS (doing well) and the Treehouse (will do well).  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Lots of great memories watching Sesame Street for me. I still haven't watched it since it went to HBO.

I have seen a few episodes from the switch and compared to before, they have really benefitted. The production value has increased. It will be interesting to see how they do character moulds for these. For me, will it be a design choice like Toy Story or will Bert, Ernie and the gang all get customized heads (via Simpsons)?

4 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

LEGO should create a new line of Sesame Street sets.  This will consist of modular diorama builds: rooftop, Bert & Ernie's room, Big Bird's Nest, Elmo's, etc.  Have 1 set for 123 Sesame street building as a skeleton structure to put those dioramas to create a complete building

They could easily build the entire neighborhood.  Child-sized modulars.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kumas said:

Does anybody outside US know what Sesame Street is ? I guess they could do it as next modular (Jan 2021)

I had the exact same question yesterday before the reveal. 

I did a little research and came across a wikipedia page for Sesame Street (funny huh?)  On that page I read the following: "By the show's 40th anniversary in 2009, it was ranked the fifteenth-most-popular children's show on television, and by its 50th anniversary in 2019, the show had 100% brand awareness globally. In 2018, the show was the second-highest-rated program on PBS Kids."  After I read that I was sure the Sesame Street set would be picked.

Really I think the only question is; who will buy this the most, kids or AFOL who grew up with Sesame Street?  Is there anyone on here who has NOT watched Sesame Street at some point in their life?

18 hours ago, kumas said:

Does anybody outside US know what Sesame Street is ? I guess they could do it as next modular (Jan 2021)

I am super happy for the Pirate Bay

It is a very Americanized set.  If you look at the Wikipedia page on Sesame Street and at all the other countries that have either a dubbed version or a co-production version, you quickly realize that what we (in the US) grew up with is not necessarily familiar to others.  Easy example, Big Bird has a different name and colors in the Mexican version that debuted a few years after ours.  China doesn't have Oscar the Grouch, they have some furry purple pig.  Denmark has an Elmo spinoff, but not Sesame Street.  The UK has The Furchester Hotel? So even the location isn't recognizable. I'll go for good demand in the US and mediocre everywhere else. The US will have the nostalgia factor helping it, but everywhere else not so much.

If there had been a current Pirate theme, the Pirate Bay would just be a MOC and probably wouldn't have had a chance.

The piano is the epitome of what the Ideas theme can be.  Truly something LEGO wouldn't normally do.

I was worried the Office would get selected. TBBT should make them lean No, but Central Perk might make them lean Yes.  Plus, the whole Netflix connection where the office (US) and friends are currently syndicated. Thank God, they didn't select it. Hopefully the other stronger candidates helped.

We got the full straight from the US version when I was little. Can still remember wondering what a trash can was and marvelled that butter could be sold in sticks. Some of the tunes I can still sing (poorly). I liked the pinball counting bit... one two three four five...six seven eight nine ten ...eleven twelve.?

Do they still use that one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Furious_george said:

We got the full straight from the US version when I was little. Can still remember wondering what a trash can was and marvelled that butter could be sold in sticks. Some of the tunes I can still sing (poorly). I liked the pinball counting bit... one two three four five...six seven eight nine ten ...eleven twelve.?

Did anyone say Count??? Ah ah ah ah

GjnN9WA.jpg

• Haha 2

We got the full straight from the US version when I was little. Can still remember wondering what a trash can was and marvelled that butter could be sold in sticks. Some of the tunes I can still sing (poorly). I liked the pinball counting bit... one two three four five...six seven eight nine ten ...eleven twelve.

Always loved the pinball break. Just showed my 6 year old that last week.
  • Like 1