LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

I'm shocked that only 1 out of 35 got picked.  It makes sense to just say, "hey, we need to get caught up," I guess (if that's their reasoning), but there are a few I'm disappointed about.

I'm bummed about the Avatar set, Brickwest Studios, the windmill, and the Gold Mine Roller Coaster.  I'd guess the roller coaster, if submitted in there after the big roller coaster retires, would have had a better chance to pass.  Unless LEGO has plans for another roller coaster of some sort after it retires.

The rest are either too much licensing (after Big Bang, Friends, and Seinfeld, do we need more TV comedy based sets?), or too similar to regular LEGO sets.  Or just overly complicated for consumer LEGO, imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

it will just end up like the crappy lego art but a painting. lego are so narrow minded now days its embarrassing. 

I appreciate LEGO exploring a different genre (essentially 2-D wall art)...I realize their offerings so far are relatively "safe", but it's still an impressive jump outside their comfort zone.

I feel that what their 2-D offerings have lacked is really a partial 3-D element...where the picture partially comes out of the frame...will show some interesting build techniques but more importantly combines what LEGO IS good at (3-D modeling) w/ the traditional 2-D wall art.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HandyHand said:

That's a LOT of denials! 

Will be interesting to see what LEGO will make of the official Van Gogh Starry Nights set.

No shortage of good builds here but unfortunately either it was something the LEGO company has already done (or going to do) or simply too many licences/properties needing their own approval outside of the program. Also a handful of huge housing projects across the board. Even the Vincent Van Gogh painting is close to the art theme LEGO is currently producing though I suppose that line has different standards (between parts usage & style) than recreating an outright renowned painting.

In any case I always look forward to more LEGO art.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

If they stay true to the Van Gogh painting submission then it will certainly be a very unique and attractive Lego art model, and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it and will stay sealed in my Back-log so that my grandchildren some day will be hanging it on the wall of their cabin in the starship to Mars.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Love the Van Gogh Starry night set.

I was at first surprised at the negative response to this approval (mostly elsewhere, not really here), but then I realized that I am far from impartial (having worked at the Met museum all through my 20's).

So my verdict - great set - poor seller - excellent investment.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I appreciate LEGO exploring a different genre (essentially 2-D wall art)...I realize their offerings so far are relatively "safe", but it's still an impressive jump outside their comfort zone.

I feel that what their 2-D offerings have lacked is really a partial 3-D element...where the picture partially comes out of the frame...will show some interesting build techniques but more importantly combines what LEGO IS good at (3-D modeling) w/ the traditional 2-D wall art.

This exactly. I showed my wife this morning, she recently embroidered a simplified Starry Night for a friend as a gift. Her immediate reaction was that it's awesome as submitted, if they just make it a mosaic it will ruin it.

21 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

I have a few of the sonic dimensions sets lying around somewhere, it's probably time to move them before the price drops since the sonic minifig is no longer unique to the dimensions sets.

• 2 months later...

native.png

A whopping 57 Ideas qualify for the 1st 2021 LEGO Ideas Review.  These are sets that qualified between January and early today.  There was a set that actually qualified just shortly after the results closed, so that one is the first that qualifies for the review period that starts early September.

Early this morning, we closed the latest review qualification round and a mind-boggling 57 submissions have reached the 10,000 supporter milestone and therefore qualify for the First 2021 Review. The competition is certainly getting tougher!

Saying that we're admittedly blown away by your engagement here on LEGO Ideas, would be an understatement! 

These 57 product ideas have hit the 10,000 supporter milestone between the months of early January 2021 and today's review qualification date, the 3rd May 2021. We'd like to offer our congratulations to all 10K members who've made it this far! 

Product Ideas hitting 10,000 supporters after today's deadline will be eligible for the next review period instead that starts on the 6th of September, 2021. In fact, we can see 1 project has already hit the 10K milestone and will therefore be part of the next review.

We look forward to celebrating our 10K Club members through the 10K Club Interview series, which will kick-off as soon as we've announced the Third 2020 review results. 

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/9f898d46-12a3-4928-b7e6-ba061e849d62
(Copy and paste the link)

15 minutes ago, marcandre said:

A lot of meh here. They need to tighten the standards somehow or raise the votes needed. This is too many. 

Marine life is cool. I want Zelda and Metroid sets but these ones are weak. Nothing else jumped out at me. 

there should be a secondary voting for similar builds or themes.

9 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

there should be a secondary voting for similar builds or themes.

Or maybe a second round of voting within the 57 winners for the top 3-5? Clearly Lego isnt going to make them all, so we are all served best by having the most popular ones voted on by fans. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

A whopping 57 Ideas qualify for the 1st 2021 LEGO Ideas Review.

So many great builds, most of which I would or may already have featured in one of the site's MOC topics. Unfortunately I have difficulty seeing any of them becoming a legitimate set when considering all the tweaks required for production streamlining on top of various popular properties.

The Among Us submission in particular has a snowball's chance just briefly looking over the gameplay of the source title. Can you imagine children building the set then arguing over who's being "sus"? Ha. The couple Nintendo related builds might have some leniency but in that case LEGO could have something up their sleeve anyway.

Be that as it may, the life-size violin is exquisite.

I want the instructions for the Asterix & Obelix busts.

Agreed castle related sets are out (including medieval things).  Also anything NASA / space related.   

I think Chocolate Factory is in.  If Nintendo are smart, they would allow Animal Crossing set to test the water a la Minecraft back in the day.  Marine Life is in but LEGO is going to scale it down. The Office, but it will be a $100+ set.  Asterix & Obelix busts if LEGO can get the licensing

I'm thinking these are the most likely to be actually made (in descending order of likeliness):

1) Charlie..Chocolate factory (great movie, brilliant design)

2) Violin (like the piano)

3) mask of Pharaoh Tutankhamun

I'd add in succelents but for sure that will be included in the botanical theme at some point.

Marine Life is cool but birds a bunch of years back did not sell well enough to justify expanding the theme and surely there are more bird fans than fish fans

Three thoughts immediately came to mind looking at this list:

1. I can't help thinking that 90% of these or more have zero shot. Wish Lego would tighten things up a bit, they are just pissing off the community with 57 getting through and all but 1-3 will be rejected.

2. Licenses seem to be choking out "Ideas" as originally intended with at least 26 of 57 (might be more) needing licenses.

3. Maybe some day Lego will understand that there is a pretty healthy demand for castles and other historical themes (Greeks, Romans, Vikings, etc.) in minifig scale.

• Like 1