Retired Product Update Thread (2014-2017)

1 hour ago, mudcatsfan said:

The thing about the Red 5 being 'sold out' online in the US (across Walmart, Target, TRU, ShopAtHome.com, etc), is that they have been readily available for months on Lego B&M store shelves across the US. I think Lego is hesitant to put the retiring soon or certainly not the retired tag while they are on shelves. It's like begging resellers to get overly aggressive in avoiding limits.

That being said, i have no doubt that once in-store inventory is depleted these things are gone.

I truly believe that Lego (in the US) did this intentionally. It's easier for them to enforce limits on a few dirty QFLL's when you they get to look them in the eye as you buy them. 

IE: Hey this guy hasn't showered this week, no X-wing for him.

Also the appearance of a full shelf of 5 sets (and more in the back) makes the reseller THINK there are millions of these out there, no rush to scoop them up.

In fact, there's around 75 stores in the US, so even if they had 20 sets each, that's 1500 sets. That amount would be gone in a BLINK online if it was marked Retired.

I suspect lego "bottlenecked" the remaining Xwings by putting them in Lego brand stores only rather than selling them online to try to keep them in-stores through the holidays. 

Mission Accomplished, now off to retirement.

Well said! I think this is exactly what Lego did with the Jurassic World theme and directed big box stores to do. With 75919 Indominus Rex I have seen a big orange label on each case at ToysRUs "Do No Key. Direct Ship" and these were shipped to ToysRUs via courier instead of the regular pallets. By removing it online, it allows Lego to stock their stores to avoid the mass re-sellers hoarding. Note, TRU did not have these online throughout the holidays but poped up in store here and there.

Only problem they create now is that everyone thinks JW is hard to get and when they pump out a new wave, more people will be jumping on it and will probably be buying more than usual.

Edited by tacsniper

48 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

What if they are just slow at updating their web in the US? It´s been like that for months now and it´s not just the X wing they haven´t passed to retired status.

Well because exactly what i've stated. EVERY lego store in America has full shelves of these, and has for months. 

I think if they mark it retired, it just creates a frenzy that they dont want to deal with.

Of course with the holidays over, they might be happy to do so to clear space for Jan 1 sets.

13 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Well because exactly what i've stated. EVERY lego store in America has full shelves of these, and has for months. 

I think if they mark it retired, it just creates a frenzy that they dont want to deal with.

Of course with the holidays over, they might be happy to do so to clear space for Jan 1 sets.

It's clever when you think about it. For certain, the US is the main priority to TLG regarding reselling. From an outsider looking in, it just appears to be nuts over there compared to other countries.

2 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

IMO, they probably just allocated more Star Wars inventory to America as it is expected to be hottest market over all in global scale.

• Like 1

In the Netherlands the Cargo Plane (MSRP €130,-) can still be bought for €90,- at Bol.com, no shipment costs. 

While you're at it, you can pick up a Brandenburger Tor (21011) for €25,-. That one is also retired in Europe, sold out in US.

(Edit: sorry for the offtopic but it seemed relevant here)

Edited by Roy vd M.

On December 28, 2015 at 0:42 PM, botchy123 said:
darth.jpg.e30ad757b0f1c9ed8e4fb5f5db5b3e44.jpg

Great pic.

We all have diff Lego days to remember like today pretty much every year :).

10221 SSD, 10224 TH, 10227 BW, 10228 HH and Fire Brigade to name a few. Some had 10179 MF as their day.

Then we have days like May 30, 2014 at Amazon. Now that was a super day to remember.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, elkolonel said:

I don't quite know what to do with myself now the retirement frenzy is over! When's the next bout?

Well, January through April is usually a good time to either buy the retiring products while they are still found for either collection or investment... Or build!  So you have choices!

2 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Great pic.

10221 SSD, 10224 TH, 10227 BW, 10228 HH and Fire Brigade to name a few. Some had 10179 MF as their day.

Then we have days like May 30, 2013 at Amazon. Now that was a super day to remember.

2014 was a crazy year. Who can forget the weekend of July 4th when Target was selling one dollar for eighty seventy five cents? And May 12th, Cory Day!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Great pic.

Then we have days like May 30, 2014 at Amazon. Now that was a super day to remember.

what happened on may 30 at amazon? for us who don't know

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

Well, January through April is usually a good time to either buy the retiring products while they are still found for either collection or investment... Or build!  So you have choices!

I still think Europe has different rules.

On 12/28/2015 at 9:32 AM, mudcatsfan said:

The thing about the Red 5 being 'sold out' online in the US (across Walmart, Target, TRU, ShopAtHome.com, etc), is that they have been readily available for months on Lego B&M store shelves across the US. I think Lego is hesitant to put the retiring soon or certainly not the retired tag while they are on shelves. It's like begging resellers to get overly aggressive in avoiding limits.

I have never seen a Red 5 at the B&M in OKC.  Well, not since late July anyways.