10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

Yeah there isn't any real reason customer service reps would even need to know retirement dates. Their job is to assist you and to try to make sure you buy something, so the most they need to know is when an OOS set is scheduled to become available again. It doesn't do them any good from a sales perspective to be telling customers, "Yeah you've got 2 years left to buy the Palace Cinema, glad I could prevent you from spending money today."

I'm still awaiting an explanation as to why people think PC is up for retirement this year. And preferably one that does not include the words "town" and "hall".

• Like 2

Yeah there isn't any real reason customer service reps would even need to know retirement dates. Their job is to assist you and to try to make sure you buy something, so the most they need to know is when an OOS set is scheduled to become available again. It doesn't do them any good from a sales perspective to be telling customers, "Yeah you've got 2 years left to buy the Palace Cinema, glad I could prevent you from spending money today."

I'm still awaiting an explanation as to why people think PC is up for retirement this year. And preferably one that does not include the words "town" and "hall".

Yeah that's right and probably PS will be done first, but why not just get it as long as it's easy to get?

I think PS will retire this year and PC next year.

Having bought all the PC I want to have, it'll be a relaxed time for me when the craziness is starting all over again.

• Like 1

The only reason I see is the Town Hall experience :) and that PC has been mostly out of stock at other retailers, but mostly over the holiday season and that means little.  Although, the out of stock at other retailers recently seems to be based on people panic buying PCs from Amazon.  If people stopped panic buying and PC was ever allowed to come back into stock at Amazon, then Target would soon drop their price to match Amazon.

People are buying PCs up quick enough now that it will provide motivation for Lego to extend its pre-planned production life, IMO.

• Like 2

Just a note I am not advocating any of this. I was trying to catch Stephen up on his question unless it was in jest and I did not get the sarcasm.

Stephen asked since when on the date field and it was discussed on here last week by some (I did not start it) and several months ago by several individuals.

As a fact I did make a call last year about the Death Star told them I wanted one but did not want to buy it yet did they think it would be around for a while if I needed more time.

The response was let me check the "planned manufacturing date" and they said it looks like it will be here to 2016.

Has this field topic been discussed at least 2x before? Yes

Do I believe the date is in stone? No

Can it change either way? Yes probably will more than not

Do I believe there is a field the person looked at with a date in it? Yes

Is everyone on here bored and as Kirk said want a piece of the action? Yes

That is all I am implying.

I am not implying or advocating a PC retirement. I only have 2 and want it to be around a lot longer.

The only reason I see is the Town Hall experience :) and that PC has been mostly out of stock at other retailers, but mostly over the holiday season and that means little.  Although, the out of stock at other retailers recently seems to be based on people panic buying PCs from Amazon.  If people stopped panic buying and PC was ever allowed to come back into stock at Amazon, then Target would soon drop their price to match Amazon.

People are buying PCs up quick enough now that it will provide motivation for Lego to extend its pre-planned production life, IMO.

I have not been able to get one at Amazon yet.

Which is why the TH experience may well be one of the best marketing exercises Lego will ever do. Now who is going to take the chance on not buying any modular that reaches the 24 month mark lest it EOL before they expect it to?

The bare facts are that, out of the 5 retired modulars, 2 went after three years and 3 went before. Pet Shop will join the 3+ group and only time will tell when the others go.

I don

Edited by valenciaeric

They told me On a call about 6 months ago. I did not ask they just were saying what they were checking when they were getting it for me on a set.

I think multiple people have reported it.

I think it was called the planned manufacturing date field but can obviously change at any time...

Interesting how everyone thinks this set has life, which it should, but also so everyone is buying it or wanting to buy it at least it seems on the surface,

I guess everyone with concern has already blown through their limit 5 at LEGO Shop at Home where it has been readily available to ship for some time.

i have zero pc. That's how confident I am that there is plenty of time. And I'm a btp. :) Sets going no where in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Edited by hxckid88
  • Like 2

Someone is *really* snapping up PC on Amazon.  It's the #36 seller in all of Toys and Games, and the only $100+ set in the top 100 toys and games.  In fact, I believe it's the only set above $60 in the top 100.   Given the scripts and difficulty in actually getting an order for one, I'd guess most of the buying is from resellers.  FWIW.

Try reading the retiring soon thread again without trying to ridiculize people and you'll have AN answer.

If we look at the post-Green Grocer modulars the FB and GE both lasted 4+ years and the PS is almost 4 and still alive. So the only modern modular that went early was the TH, which was anomalous in both price and piece count vs. the others.

PC is also different in price. It is cheaper than the other modulars. At least in Europe.

• Like 1

CC and GG are definitely less relevant in this discussion because they were produced when the modular series was in its infancy, hence the short supply and massive demand for them now. It would be foolish to base your investing decisions on those sets; they are from an era that is over.

The Haunted House may be comparable in size but it is not a modular building. You're kinda grasping at straws here.

What if they announce another modular? Well, then they could retire the Pet Shop since it is the oldest currently active modular building.

Lego can ramp up production on other sets to meet Christmas demand without necessarily retiring a product. (example: The Tumbler being unavailable at the end of 2014)

You say it well, CC and GG are from an era that is over. If there is something that the recent retirements could have made clear, is that there are no more rules in retirement dates of sets (if there already were any rules to start with). I believe that LEGO, as any corporation that wants to maximize profits, looks at if they are good sellers yes or no.

Haunted House is a Lego set of comparable size and price like the modulars and imo as good as a modular. The only difference is that there is a theme attached to it so you're right. You can't compare it to the current MBS line.

Again, that is based on a lineair retirement line with rules. Why retire a set that makes more money than another? Monetary logic dictates that LEGO would retire PC before PS regardless of how old the set is IF they would retire.

LEGO COULD ramp up production of MBS but won't. Much more margin in those little SW, Friends or City sets than MBS. If you look at the current release of themes this year, you know where they put the production capacity.

• Like 1

Again, that is based on a lineair retirement line with rules. Why retire a set that makes more money than another? Monetary logic dictates that LEGO would retire PC before PS regardless of how old the set is IF they would retire.

LEGO COULD ramp up production of MBS but won't. Much more margin in those little SW, Friends or City sets than MBS. If you look at the current release of themes this year, you know where they put the production capacity.

I agree, it makes more sense to retire the set which is generating less revenue. We don't have sales figures in front of us though. We can infer that the PS has sold more units by virtue of being available longer but that doesn't mean Lego will produce it indefinitely. The GE was still retired in 2014 despite selling like hotcakes.

I didn't say they would ramp up production of modular buildings, I said they could ramp it down to produce more of the small sets. But that doesn't mean they have to retire the modular, it can just go TOOS for a while like the Tumbler did.

Anyway I think I'll just have to agree to disagree with those who strongly believe the PC is next up for retirement. Personally, I think some people are ignoring some pretty straightforward data and patterns that are right in front of them but that is just my opinion.

• Like 1

I agree, it makes more sense to retire the set which is generating less revenue. We don't have sales figures in front of us though. We can infer that the PS has sold more units by virtue of being available longer but that doesn't mean Lego will produce it indefinitely. The GE was still retired in 2014 despite selling like hotcakes.

I didn't say they would ramp up production of modular buildings, I said they could ramp it down to produce more of the small sets. But that doesn't mean they have to retire the modular, it can just go TOOS for a while like the Tumbler did.

Anyway I think I'll just have to agree to disagree with those who strongly believe the PC is next up for retirement. Personally, I think some people are ignoring some pretty straightforward data and patterns that are right in front of them but that is just my opinion.

agreed. It's so obvious the slave 1 is the next to go and people don't even realize it.
  • Like 2

You say it well, CC and GG are from an era that is over. If there is something that the recent retirements could have made clear, is that there are no more rules in retirement dates of sets (if there already were any rules to start with). I believe that LEGO, as any corporation that wants to maximize profits, looks at if they are good sellers yes or no.

Haunted House is a Lego set of comparable size and price like the modulars and imo as good as a modular. The only difference is that there is a theme attached to it so you're right. You can't compare it to the current MBS line.

There's stuff here I don't agree with. When you read the annual report from TLG that came out last month, you know TLG is ramping up as fast as they can. 

For the moment some of the excess profits (and HUGE NET MARGINS!!!) are going into weak/strange themes. I leave the interpretation of future failed lines to the other forum topics, but it would come as a surprise to me that TLG didn't ramp up the quantities sold on MBS once factory extensions and new-builds are done. They are swimming in the cash. It can't be spent fast enough which increases the risk for errors. (Why Ultra Agents when you have Marvel? And when it failed already in the past? I'm skipping that completely)

Also, the past isn't the future in terms of retirement. TLG monitors closely production & sales figures. It's the biggest and most profitable Toy company of the world and that's not by accident. I don't expect 'natural EoL rates' for sets anymore. Bad/flawed ones will go fast (e.***. arctic, BW, EEE), winners will stay longer (e.***. DS, FB, T1...).

How I prepare my investment schedule & priorities? I read the stuff Emazers writes and add some of my own sauce to it.