Star Wars Planets

Spacewalker95

I have honestly given these sets a lot of thought and decided to invest a fair amount into them (purchasing them purely on sale of course). With nothing else having been made similar to these by Lego their uniqueness makes them stand out. While the first series has not completely vanished off the market despite Lego retiring them once they are gone they will be missed. With new movies on the distant horizon people will learn about the old planets and want that collection and a whole new influx of Lego Star Wars fans will be interested in collecting them all. In a lot of forums it sounds like AFOL don't really care for them, well, that sounds find, but most Lego toys are created for children and in my experience kids really like them and as a parent and uncle I appreciate the play value and cost and I think they are popular with kids. If in fact they are not profitable and Lego stops at Series 4 and scratch the line it will still be a one time run at planets that will never be repeated and will only make them harder to find. I can't imagine Lego putting out the Lego death star planet again and I don't think the for how iconic it is that people will ever stop wanting it (I stocked up on these the most). Just like others have pointed out in regards to pairing Jabba's palace with the Rancor Pit, I would favor collecting a full set of each series in the future no matter if it is prequel or OT, save for the Death Star, if you can find it at a discount, pick it up.

In your professional opinion, do you think that they will appreciate in say, 3 years? When you say "very cool and collectible sets" I assume that you mean that they are under the radar and will appreciate in the future, but I want to check.With the new movies coming out...maybe $30 a piece...or more. They are a combo minifgure/mini set/planet display and if you compare the growth of past STAR WARS minisets, without minifigs & displays thrown in, many hit $20+ easily. I can't see why these won't hit $30 in 3-5 years.

In your professional opinion, do you think that they will appreciate in say, 3 years? When you say "very cool and collectible sets" I assume that you mean that they are under the radar and will appreciate in the future, but I want to check.With the new movies coming out...maybe $30 a piece...or more. They are a combo minifgure/mini set/planet display and if you compare the growth of past STAR WARS minisets, without minifigs & displays thrown in, many hit $20+ easily. I can't see why these won't hit $30 in 3-5 years.

Yep the only problem is that 30$ is only 22

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw Series 3 listed as being currently available from the Shop-at-Home website for the US starting this month.

If they were available prior, I didn't know or can't really remember. (Don't blame me, I suffer from "CRS".)

Each is $9.99 (There are a couple on amazon but are overpriced!)

Jedi Starfighter/Kamino (75006)

Republic Assault Ship/Coruscant (75007)

TIE Bomber/Asteroid Field (75008)

There are some set reviews for them already on Brickset.

Thanks for the update!

I'm looking forward to picking up the series.

You're welcome.

And so am I since before the beginning of this year. Heck, I thought they were supposed to already have been out by then. Guess not for us Americans. Ah well, they should be making their way to retail stores soon enough.

The only one I feel wierd about is the Asteroid Belt. It's not really a planetoid, now is it?

That could be considered just 'splitting hairs' but seriously.

You're welcome.

And so am I since before the beginning of this year. Heck, I thought they were supposed to already have been out by then. Guess not for us Americans. Ah well, they should be making their way to retail stores soon enough.

The only one I feel wierd about is the Asteroid Belt. It's not really a planetoid, now is it?

That could be considered just 'splitting hairs' but seriously.

I agree that an asteroid field isn't a planet. I would have preferred a planet or at least a cratered out sphere instead of brown specks on a black background but unfortunately that won't stop me from buying some, lol.

I agree that an asteroid field isn't a planet. I would have preferred a planet or at least a cratered out sphere instead of brown specks on a black background but unfortunately that won't stop me from buying some, lol.

Haha, I'm the same way. I plan to collect every single Planet regardless. That TIE Bomber does have certain parts that are rare or new to certain colors which is always a big plus for me!

I wonder how many series TLG will come out with before they run out of ideas? (Looks like they are runningout because of that Asteroid Field "Planet").

It does come across that way, then again the first scene I remember seeing the TIE Bomber was in "The Empire Strikes Back" and there was a few flying through the asteroid belt of....wherever....bombing the crap out of the various chunks of rock floating around. So perhaps that's the logic behind the "Asteroid Field/TIE Bomber" Planet. No matter, the mini-builds and characters are the real reason for me to buy these anyway, so I'm not too picky.

And as far as I know, there are A LOT of planets in the Star Wars Universe!

With a release of six per year, the series could be around for a while. (Which would be nice.)

Republic Assault Ship/Coruscant (75007) is my favorite one so far. I wonder how many series TLG will come out with before they run out of ideas? (Looks like they are runningout because of that Asteroid Field "Planet").

I agree that the asteroid field is an interesting choice this early on in the planet series. Who knows if they will go further than a fourth series. There is no shortage of planets to use though I don't think. Maybe in their market polling they got a lot of positive feedback in the idea of an asteroid but didn't execute it the way their test market envisioned it.

Actually I would love it if they cut series at 5th one, would make our stuff grow nicely!

Well, if they cut at Series 5, then the attention towards these little gold mines would drop.

Anyone want to throw out planet ideas? I'd be cool with a Dagobah, Kessel, Mustafar, Death Star 2, or Geonosis.

Mustafar sounds good. I just hope that they don't run out of ideas and remakes some of these. Now that would be terrible!

Mustafar sounds good. I just hope that they don't run out of ideas and remakes some of these. Now that would be terrible!

I agree. Remakes would be very bad from an investing and collecting standpoint. Why buy that $20 Death Star when I can buy the remake for $9.99. That wouldn't be good anyway you look at it.

I agree. Remakes would be very bad from an investing and collecting standpoint. Why buy that $20 Death Star when I can buy the remake for $9.99. That wouldn't be good anyway you look at it. Yes, this applies to basically ALL the sets that are remade. Most of the time TLG will give the new one a lower PPP or new functions or characters to entice the customer, which basically makes the older version(s) decline in value. : (