Star Wars Planets

Spacewalker95

Found three shelves full of Star Wars Planet Sets from Series 1 (9674, 9675, 9676) for $4.96 each on clearance at Target. What does anyone think about the investment potential of these sets? I see that 9674 is valued higher than the others - not sure why. Anyway, I bought about three of each. Any info. would be appreciated.

Found three shelves full of Star Wars Planet Sets from Series 1 (9674, 9675, 9676) for $4.96 each on clearance at Target. What does anyone think about the investment potential of these sets? I see that 9674 is valued higher than the others - not sure why. Anyway, I bought about three of each. Any info. would be appreciated.

Nice deal. I like the sets as an investment, especially at that price.

I remember the week before last my Target had an endcap just stuffed with every "Planet", but those weren't on sale for some reason. They probably had it stocked for the sale that came afterwards and for once I was premature.....never thought I would catch myself saying that.

They are nice minibuilds with unique minifigs and some odd parts. They feel more like miniature UCS sets with the display plaque and stand. I think the hardest part with these is trying to store them. With their odd shape you can't really stack them too well or place them right next to one another. And since the "Planet" is part of the set itself, these really need to be keep in a safe spot to prevent all sorts of possible damage.

At that price though, it wouldn't hurt to buy a few of each.

Sebulba's Podracer/Tatooine

Twin-Pod Cloud Car/Bespin

TIE Interceptor/Death Star

These ones would be my bets for becoming nicely valuable later on.

Especially the Cloud Car with the unique "Lobot" minifig.

The Death Star for obvious reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if there is already a topic about this, I am very new here. I just bought 6 planet sets (2 cloud cars and 4 x-wings) for 2.50 each. I have never held on to a set to sell later because I am still trying to expand my personal collection, but what is the expected demand of these sets? At such a great price I figured it shouldn't be too hard to make a profit and I might as well start small.

At such a great price I figured it shouldn't be too hard to make a profit and I might as well start small.

You're right. $2.50 each is a great price! With that low of an initial investment, even if those sets do not perform that well in the secondary market, you still could make a profit. For the price you found those at, I would have bought all of the ones they had on the shelf!

In my opinion, the "Cloud Car/Bespin" set is very unique. In both parts and the exclusive minifigure. (He is only available in this set!) The "X-Wing/Yavin 4" is a very nice mini build. I'd say it is the best represention of the X-Wing in that scale that I have ever seen. The minifigure is the only thing that may be a little 'off'. (All may not have the same problem as mine, but the white print on the torso was not done right so the orange 'bleeds' through.)

I like all the PLANETS sets and they are collectible. Considering that there were so many on clearance at the end of last year, it may take a year or two but I do not see that much difficulty for most of these to become valuable down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello collectors, I started in November last year serious collecting of some UCS and other sets. The collecting fever hit me after my dark ages. Now I wanna know what do you think about the StarWars Planet Sets?! I bought it in the hope of multiple my money in a few years with them, too. Whats your opinion to these sets? Do they grow theor worth? Greeting from Germany, Christian

Hello collectors,

I started in November last year serious collecting of some UCS and other sets. The collecting fever hit me after my dark ages. Now I wanna know what do you think about the StarWars Planet Sets?! I bought it in the hope of multiple my money in a few years with them, too.

Whats your opinion to these sets? Do they grow theor worth?

Greeting from Germany,

Christian

I personally love these sets and think they will very collectible one day. They can be found on clearance in many locations. I just bought a bunch at half off at Target. These sets offer a lot for the money...Planet...minifigure...mini set. Good deal IMO.

The longer that Lego produces these sets, the more valuable the ones from the early series will be. When people go back to collect the early ones, that's when you can cash in. I'm with Ed, I've been picking these up for half off for awhile now. Worst case, I have a tree full of Star Wars planet ornaments for $5 a pop. No way I can lose.

• 4 weeks later...

Original Prequels. They are by far the better movies, so why not the better investment? As a general statement, they have done well in the secondary market.

Original "Prequels"? I assume you are talking about Episode 4, 5, 6?

Technically, Episodes 1, 2, 3 are "prequels" to Episodes 4, 5, 6, but was shown in theaters many years later. Which would make the "original trilogy" the "sequels".

Original "Prequels"? I assume you are talking about Episode 4, 5, 6?

Technically, Episodes 1, 2, 3 are "prequels" to Episodes 4, 5, 6, but was shown in theaters many years later. Which would make the "original trilogy" the "sequels".

Sorry, Original Trilogy is what I meant.

I like everyone. People really don't appreciate these very cool and collectible sets.

In your professional opinion, do you think that they will appreciate in say, 3 years? When you say "very cool and collectible sets" I assume that you mean that they are under the radar and will appreciate in the future, but I want to check.