10244 - Fairground Mixer

Wazzapova

I wonder if Lego is going to continue with this carnival models like they have with the Winter Village. From a brickset rumor, they said that there would be a ferris wheel sometime this year. I don't know if you all remember the Creator Ferris Wheel from a few years ago... but jeez did that set to well (As I recall). I feel like these carnival sets in general will do very well.

My last post did get cut off a bit...caused by a pocket post.

Anyway, Fairground Mixer is not a term used here is Australia and David Jones (retailer in OZ) have shedloads of them still on the shelves at 25%off ($121USD).

But, this set is brilliant and if because of poor sales it had a short run then watch this one take off. If it then becomes the first of a new theme....lookout!

• 4 months later...

I think the only question remaining with this set is how long does it live.  I would guess the theme would follow a WV schedule, with 1 set released each summer and a 2 year span.  However with low sales on this set, could it go sooner?  If that is the case, and this set is a poor seller and the first in the line (not counting the grand carousel), it could give it some legs in the after EOL market. 

no matter what the mixer is obviously the least desirable of the 3 sets, and really looks cheap next to the other two.  So its potential is certainly limited, even with an early EOL.

Edited by jay4e

I think the only question remaining with this set is how long does it live.  I would guess the theme would follow a WV schedule, with 1 set released each summer and a 2 year span.  However with low sales on this set, could it go sooner?  If that is the case, and this set is a poor seller and the first in the line (not counting the grand carousel), it could give it some legs in the after EOL market. 

no matter what the mixer is obviously the least desirable of the 3 sets, and really looks cheap next to the other two.  So its potential is certainly limited, even with an early EOL.

​Unless the line really takes off, and then it is legendary.

​Unless the line really takes off, and then it is legendary.

​It also depends though on where they take the line.  If they stick more to the fixed higher end theme park style rides from now on, the mixer will just not mix well.  The box shows a roller coaster and large swing ride.  however cost may factor in and cut back on larger, fancier sets.  If they do release more county fair type rides, then it will be a winner.  the mixer is certainly a bit of a gamble.

no matter what the Carousel is just pure gold at this point.

Edited by jay4e

​It also depends though on where they take the line.  If they stick more to the fixed higher end theme park style rides from now on, the mixer will just not mix well.  The box shows a roller coaster and large swing ride.  however cost may factor in and cut back on larger, fancier sets.  If they do release more county fair type rides, then it will be a winner.  the mixer is certainly a bit of a gamble.

no matter what the Carousel is just pure gold at this point.

​Have you guys seen a mixer (Scrambler) in real life?  A ferris wheel dwarfs them and a mixer isn't all that impressive to look at, but it is a fun ride.  I think the scale of it is perfect in comparison to the ferris wheel and the hauler truck and carnival games that come with it are just bonuses.

I guess I'm a bit baffled why the mixer is so underwhelming for everyone?

• Like 6

​Have you guys seen a mixer (Scrambler) in real life?  A ferris wheel dwarfs them and a mixer isn't all that impressive to look at, but it is a fun ride.  I think the scale of it is perfect in comparison to the ferris wheel and the hauler truck and carnival games that come with it are just bonuses.

​I agree.  Hopefully the resale market will be bigger, and richer, than the people that have attended the county fair and enjoyed the Scrambler.

• Like 3

​Because it _LOOKS_ like a ride & booths from one of those traveling carnivals. People go to them, but the reality is the rides are usually beat to hell and pretty pathetic. :) The new ferris wheel is definitely a cut above in terms of design but with it's size and having (mostly) all the pieces dedicated to the ride itself, it should be better

That said, the mixer is cute and certainly a creative build .. we own one for our collection.

​Because it _LOOKS_ like a ride & booths from one of those traveling carnivals. People go to them, but the reality is the rides are usually beat to hell and pretty pathetic. :) The new ferris wheel is definitely a cut above in terms of design but with it's size and having (mostly) all the pieces dedicated to the ride itself, it should be better

That said, the mixer is cute and certainly a creative build .. we own one for our collection.

​So, are you saying it meets or exceeds expectations?

• Like 1

​I agree with this 100%.  If we get even one more release in this series, the Mixer is going to be complete gold.  Just like the modulars and Market Street.  MS is a dog, looks terrible, yet it's the highest performing modular precisely because completists want every set.  Mixer is part of the series, thats all that matters.  That's it's first, some folks don't care for it and hence either haven't bought or invested, and its been a poor seller are all huge positives from a resell standpoint.  On second thought, everyone is right.  Mixer sucks.  Don't buy it, certainly don't invest in it....

• Like 5

​So, are you saying it meets or exceeds expectations?

​Meets my expectations... I suspect it falls short of the expectations of people who wanted fair ground rides.

​I agree with this 100%.  If we get even one more release in this series, the Mixer is going to be complete gold.  Just like the modulars and Market Street.  MS is a dog, looks terrible, yet it's the highest performing modular precisely because completists want every set.  Mixer is part of the series, thats all that matters.  That's it's first, some folks don't care for it and hence either haven't bought or invested, and its been a poor seller are all huge positives from a resell standpoint.  On second thought, everyone is right.  Mixer sucks.  Don't buy it, certainly don't invest in it....

​I think this depends on what the next release is. The Mixer is a "traveling carnival" ride whereas the Ferris Wheel is a stationary ride more akin to larger amusement parks. The Grand Carousel is also a stationary ride. If the next release is also "carnival" in nature (I think of those portable roller coaster rides that just do a big oval or those giant yellow slides), the mixer will do exceptionally well because Lego is blurring the line intentionally. If the next release is a stationary ride like that large swing or a larger roller coaster, then all bets are off. What kind of amusement park is it - stationary or traveling? Completionists will eventually tell us, but it'll be up to them to decide.

• Like 1

​Meets my expectations... I suspect it falls short of the expectations of people who wanted fair ground rides.

​I think this depends on what the next release is. The Mixer is a "traveling carnival" ride whereas the Ferris Wheel is a stationary ride more akin to larger amusement parks. The Grand Carousel is also a stationary ride. If the next release is also "carnival" in nature (I think of those portable roller coaster rides that just do a big oval or those giant yellow slides), the mixer will do exceptionally well because Lego is blurring the line intentionally. If the next release is a stationary ride like that large swing or a larger roller coaster, then all bets are off. What kind of amusement park is it - stationary or traveling? Completionists will eventually tell us, but it'll be up to them to decide.

​You've crossed over and tapped into a whole new market.  Maybe we need a Ferris Wheel Hauler, or your favorite, the Helicopter Ride.  Why can't I just shut up?

• Like 1

​You've crossed over and tapped into a whole new market.  Maybe we need a Ferris Wheel Hauler, or your favorite, the Helicopter Ride.  Why can't I just shut up?

​12,813 posts proves you can't. ;)

My favorite rides as a kid were the stupid boats and rocket ship rides that just went round-and-round in circles. Now I can't stand anything that makes me spin around in circles... except I don't mind the Helicopter ride that you can make go up or down! I tolerate Ferris Wheels, but not a huge fan.

• Like 2

My favorite rides as a kid were the stupid boats and rocket ship rides that just went round-and-round in circles. Now I can't stand anything that makes me spin around in circles... except I don't mind the Helicopter ride that you can make go up or down! I tolerate Ferris Wheels, but not a huge fan.

I just had to follow-up with the affinity for Helicopters you expressed in the City Square thread.​

• Like 1

​I think pretty much all rides just spin around in circles to one extent or another.  

But yes If they release more sets with the display quality and upscale style of the ferris wheel and carousel, then I can see the mixer being the lame duck of the theme.  still probably do alright overall but not early modular or WV good.  however if they do mix in more traveling carnival rides, it could take off.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What are peoples thoughts on this making an early retirement in 2015. Do you think Lego will continue to sell this set alongside the Ferris Wheel?

I think these will follow the path of the modulars of possibility of 2 years or more production if we are only getting one set per year in this theme.

• 1 month later...

I am on the fence. It is a great build, but lacks the WOW factor. Much like Market Street :notme:

If you want a "WOW" factor for Market Street, just look at the numbers it has put up, and many don't even consider it a part of the Modular series.  No, it's not as big as the others, but it and Cafe Corner started the whole thing and that's why it's putting up the numbers it does.  FM "could" be that type of set.  Not a "Wow" set, but since it was the first of the line in what may be bigger and better carnival sets, it will be able to hold its own.  Now, if after Ferris Wheel we don't see another of this ilk, I have lesser hopes for it because as you say, I truly doesn't impress at first glance, though it is a building wonder for how they fit it all together.

• Like 2