10244 - Fairground Mixer

Wazzapova

I agree the way the thing folds up is pretty cool. Just think when folded out it looks kinda meh, and for me being able to marvel at a set after completion is important.

About the box being small: I actually appreciate that. Before, Lego usually sold us half empty boxes. This way, they both reduce environmental impact, and allows you to keep the box without taking up unnecessary space.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I agree the way the thing folds up is pretty cool. Just think when folded out it looks kinda meh, and for me being able to marvel at a set after completion is important.

About the box being small: I actually appreciate that. Before, Lego usually sold us half empty boxes. This way, they both reduce environmental impact, and allows you to keep the box without taking up unnecessary space.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I guess smaller boxes are more practical and space saving, but I really like big boxes.  They impress me.  LOL

Didn't Lego promise smaller boxes? Maybe they start here. I would certainly like it.

Sometime last year I think LEGO wrote an official release on it. I'll see if I can dig it up. I did notice the shrinkage in packaging, especially in small sized sets, like LEGO battle packs. Of course, some customers might interpret this as LEGO getting cheap and making smaller sets and selling for the same price. -_-

Article: http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/news-room/2013/february/smaller-lego-boxes-easier-on-the-environment

In 2013 the LEGO Group will introduce a new series of environmentally friendly, smaller LEGO boxes containing the same number of LEGO bricks. The change will reduce the LEGO Group

Regarding box sizes - if you look at the Parisian Restaurant box, it is smaller than the other modulars. It sits right next to the Palace Cinema at the LEGO store near me and the box is at least a couple of inches shorter than the Palace Cinema box.

Yes. Very true. More money. Smaller box. I like how LEGO tries to pitch the new boxes as environmentally friendly. Probably saves them millions.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Yes. Very true. More money. Smaller box. I like how LEGO tries to pitch the new boxes as environmentally friendly. Probably saves them millions.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

It's also interesting that although the box is smaller there are 273 MORE pieces in it than the Cinema. (2469 vs 2196).  I would guess that is why the price is slightly higher.  Per piece, the Restaurant is slightly lower in cost despite the higher retail price. (6.5 cents vs 6.8 cents)

As far as I could see I like it alot. I will fit nicely in my city! Now all I need is the caroussel.

The 10196 ?

I think it's oversized compared with the fairground mixer and the modulars buildings. The 10235 carrousel may look better side to it, something like "fairground mixer for teenagers and adults, carrousel for little kids". :)

(what would be smart would be to find a way to use 1 PF motor to run both roundabouts)

The 10196 ?

I think it's oversized compared with the fairground mixer and the modulars buildings. The 10235 carrousel may look better side to it, something like "fairground mixer for teenagers and adults, carrousel for little kids". :)

(what would be smart would be to find a way to use 1 PF motor to run both roundabouts)

I am planning to repurpose the carousel from 10235 and put it alongside the Mixer.  This past Christmas when I had all of the Winter Village sets built, I felt that the scale of the 10235 carousel did not fit with the Winter Village buildings.  It looked too big next to the Toy Shop, Bakery and Post Office.

More money. Smaller box. I like how LEGO tries to pitch the new boxes as environmentally friendly.

They are. Smaller box, more boxes per truck, less fuel. Less room in air conditioned storage too. And in this case, also more bricks - so more money is ok. It might save them millions, but not because of the price.

It is a bit overpriced, but I really like it just for the fact it is something different. Getting the balloon cart (and throw in the hot dog stand from previous Lego giveaways) will add a bit more to it as well. 

For sellers, if you were to include both of those, you`de likely have a huge edge of the competition. They fit perfectly, and together work very well. Some have already suggested it before, but a fairground would be excellent. Bumper cars, another, smaller ferris wheel, then the Balloon cart and hot dog stand, and others we could see in the future, to top it off. It would be a real shame IMHO if Lego didn`t make a theme out of this. 

All and all, a bit over priced to be honest. Piece count is there, but there are many, many, smaller pieces in this set, no way this should have been priced like a modular. $100 would have been great, but $120 would have been the most realistic price. Guess I'll wait for triple VIP.

For sellers, if you were to include both of those, you`de likely have a huge edge of the competition. They fit perfectly, and together work very well. 

I would say "if you really want to invest in the 10244 fairground mixer, get as much as balloon cart."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This set is awesome by the way. I bought using vip points and added the power functions. How it all folds up and fits is amazing. Very well thought out. My kids love it. We build the winter village market and are now converting it to a summer set from a christmas set to go with the mixer. After building the palace cinema and parisan rest. I would say the mixer is just slightly over priced, maybe 10-15 too high. Fantastic set nonetheless. In 2.5 years i will have a pile of these, first of it's kind great investment come end of 2016.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The following is only my opinion and based solely on speculation.

I am comparing this set to the first of what eventually became Winter Village theme.  This set reminds me of what Lego did with 10199 Holiday Train.

The production run for that set was very short.  Then the Lego group followed it up with multi-year runs of the theme.

Could this be the beginning of a summer amusement park theme.  This set "could" have a short production run since it is testing the acceptance of the theme.

Lego may Follow it up next year with one or two sets to continue the Amusement Park line-up.

Again this is only speculation on my part.  I may end up completely wrong here.

I do not own any yet.  I am hoping I don't miss it.

From the reviews to videos I have seen on this set it looks fantastic for playability.

• Like 1