10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

If you consider how many modulars are on the lego catalog, I really think that, when you consider these are $150/160 sets, 6 of them are really far too much.

A set bought by a guy means another that he will not. And when he will be able to (having enough money), an other modular will come, and the older one may look old fashionned.

So with the detective agency incoming, 6 modulars at the same are really too much (GE/PS/TH/PC/PR/DA).

GE will be out of the game, that's about sure. But 5 modulars ? I still think it's a bit much, and maybe lego does think so (right now we still have 5 modulars), maybe overall sells are disappointing (wasn't what we were talking about TH ?) even more when you consider the new creator sets, half modular sized (bike shop, etc.)

That's why I wouldn't be surprised to see two modulars be retired at the same time on january.

GE and... Pet shop or Town hall ? Or maybe neither ? Or both ?

Time to in invest in both IMO. I got two of each with 25% off and I'm glad with that. I'll pass on the GE. Too many investors. I would hate to miss the boat on one retiring set, so I made a compromise (typically french ah ah) and have no regrets when (or if) one of those is suddenly sold out and then sometimes pops up at 3AM for 15min...

Edited by biniou

If you consider how many modulars are on the lego catalog, I really think that, when you consider these are $150/160 sets, 6 of them are really far too much.

A set bought by a guy means another that he will not. And when he will be able to (having enough money), an other modular will come, and the older one may look old fashionned.

So with the detective agency incoming, 6 modulars at the same are really too much (GE/PS/TH/PC/PR/DA).

GE will be out of the game, that's about sure. But 5 modulars ? I still think it's a bit much, and maybe lego does think so (right now we still have 5 modulars), maybe overall sells are disappointing (wasn't what we were talking about TH ?) even more when you consider the new creator sets, half modular sized (bike shop, etc.)

That's why I wouldn't be surprised to see two modulars be retired at the same time on january.

GE and... Pet shop or Town hall ? Or maybe neither ? Or both ?

Time to in invest in both IMO. I got two of each with 25% off and I'm glad with that. I'll pass on the GE. Too many investors. I would hate to miss the boat on one retiring set, so I made a compromise (typically french ah ah) and have no regrets when (or if) one of those is suddenly sold out and then sometimes pops up at 3AM for 15min...

My belief is that TLG want buyers to have the opportunity to build a whole set of modulars at anyone time. If there was only ever one or two in production at any point then it would take a whole time longer to build a street. 

My belief is that TLG want buyers to have the opportunity to build a whole set of modulars at anyone time. If there was only ever one or two in production at any point then it would take a whole time longer to build a street. 

I respectfuly disagree.

If you look at the availability of modular sets, your point does not make sense if you consider the retirements below:

- cafe corner + green grocer. Here comes the Fire brigade: 3 sets at the same time ? ok, let's retire the cafe corner...

- green grocer + fire brigade. here comes the GE: 3 sets at the same time ? ok, let's retire the green grocer...

Next year, the FB survived to the arrival of the PS. Certainly thanks of the success of the theme (but it tooks many years).

Then, we had 5 sets at the same time (FB/GE/PS/TH/PC) in 2013. That's just last year ! So lego may have change their mind and think "afterall 5 modulars are too much". Of course, these are only guesses. :)

I respectfuly disagree.

If you look at the availability of modular sets, your point does not make sense if you consider the retirements below:

- cafe corner + green grocer. Here comes the Fire brigade: 3 sets at the same time ? ok, let's retire the cafe corner...

- green grocer + fire brigade. here comes the GE: 3 sets at the same time ? ok, let's retire the green grocer...

Next year, the FB survived to the arrival of the PS. Certainly thanks of the success of the theme (but it tooks many years).

Then, we had 5 sets at the same time (FB/GE/PS/TH/PC) in 2013. That's just last year ! So lego may have change their mind and think "afterall 5 modulars are too much". Of course, these are only guesses. :)

In 2013 they made the decision to expand the theme, are you suggesting that in the space of a year they've changed their minds? 

PS @ amazon now.

Going through this thread, I see quite a few intelligent investors here. This is really the one modular to stock pile in the long run. Just ask any modular builder. This not only excites men but also women. Can't say the same for the town hall or PC.

I can't imagine this being done by year end. Lego employees can't be trusted. Nevertheless, don't get caught with your pants down without owning at least a couple of these.

If you're trying to confuse me, you've succeeded.

I don't understand why you say that.

You said "In 2013 they made the decision to expand the theme".

Did lego officially said "Ladies and gentlemen: we will expand the theme" ? That's a question I ask to you, because I didn't knew that.

If you look at the back of the box of the Town hall (2012), there are 3 modulars displayed (including the TH). At the back of the palace cinema (2013) there are also 3 modulars displayed (including the PC). At the back of the Parisian restaurant (2014), still 3 modulars displayed (including the PR).

I dont' see any official theme expansion on these boxes...

If you think that the fact that some old sets can still be bought on LEGO Shop at Home is the sign of the expansion of the theme, it may also mean that some sets are poor sellers (many members reported that the TH boxes have old seals).

I don't want to upset or confuse you, sorry if I did.

Edited by biniou

Guest TabbyBoy

This will be the first modular to go I think.  My girlfriend has only been allowed 1on backorder even though SaH says 5 max.  I had my fill when I was first told that these were going first.

The main reason for TLG to retire sets in order except in extreme cases (B-Wing) is that even non-investors like to be able to plan on things being around for a certain length of time.  Modulars are big purchases, and lots of customers need to budget for them accordingly.  Hypothetically, maybe CollectorDad most wants a  Parisian Restaurant, but he does want to pick up a TH before it goes.  A reliable pattern of modular retirements means that he can buy a PR now and be confident that TH will still be around next Spring, when he gets his annual performance bonus from Widget, Inc.  All we actually know at this point is that out of order retirements of exclusives have been very rare up until now.  Maybe that will change.  If it does, I will have no problem admitting I was wrong.  But a few days of TH being out of stock means very little in itself.

• Like 1