75020 - Jabba's Sail Barge

Lateral-G

Lol so you did get good deals :P  I thought you lived where no discounts ever materialized :D

Ha! Last year, deals everywhere. Got sail barges, jaba palaces, rancor pits, at-tes, x-wings, all kinds of stuff at 30-50% off. 2015, nary a deal to be found in my area.

I think the end of life on this one is in full swing, and i'd expect it to go in the next month or so, since there are very few stores left out there selling them.  TRU is one of the last big retailers with them.  I could see this doing reasonably well next holiday season, but there are better options out there for the buy-in price.  But, i'd think they'd perform their best during the holiday season of 2016 when that "secret SW" film comes out, which is rumored to be about Boba Fett.  If you pair it with a skiff during that time, you might do well.  Regardless, even if they go around 175, i'd be ok with that. 

If you were able to pick these up around $50-$70 then you are guaranteed to do fine. Here some people are saying, "I'd been fine with $175." Well I would dang happy because that would over double my money and I can move on to next set. It doesn't matter what its growth from retail price is, it matters how much it grows from your buy in.

I think I'm one of the only people around here that like this version better than the old sail barge.  The angled front section is actually more screen accurate than the old version, look at the movie stills again.  It wasn't done to hide the cannon.  The cannon was added because Lego seems to have a quota of "shootable things" in sets now.  People like the old version because its a bit bigger and has a smoother angle to it, but it's not as accurate.

You are not alone. I have no idea what 99% of the complainers are talking about. It's like mass hallucination that the barge looked like the first lego toy. The 2nd version is WAY closer.

Sail-Barge-Comparison-500x273.jpg

Further people complained about the 2nd set have less piece count, but forget the first set also included a Skiff.

LOOK at that beak! 

Sailbarge-chron2.jpg

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think at that price get as many as you want to hit your target.  This one hasn't exactly gone OOS online, and probably has till the summer before it finally becomes scarce.  TRU sold them at 95.00 about two weeks ago, and I used some rewards to get it a little lower.   I think at that price, you definitely will not lose money on it in the future. 

I have my doubts you'll be able to land them cheaper than that anymore.  They are long since out of walmarts and targets where you can usually get the best discounts.  Seems that Amazon, some B&Ns, and TRU is the last places to have them.  Once they are gone, I expect it to jump over retail, and this one might do moderately well over christmas.  I think this is a set you hold until winter of 2016, but that's just my strategy on it.  

I bought some Jabba's palace last year for $90 and wasn't sure about the purchase, its looking pretty smart now. I think the sail barge will be selling for 175ish xmas 2016 if the movies are a hit and keep coming. The sail barge really is a focal point in episode six so I feel Star Wars fans in the future will demand it. 

Dude, it is the only genre of music a true SW fan listens to!

That's right - i just got my mail order tickets for this summer's top alien pop music festivals - jizzapalooza and jizzaroo.

MRB will be headlining the dagobah stage - mudpit saturday night at both.

The Grateful Bith are headlining friday night.

so you don't have to google it yourself:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz 

Whoswhomaxrebo.jpg

• Like 4

That's right - i just got my mail order tickets for this summer's top alien pop music festivals - jizzapalooza and jizzaroo.

MRB will be headlining the dagobah stage - mudpit saturday night at both.

The Grateful Bith are headlining friday night.

so you don't have to google it yourself:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz 

Whoswhomaxrebo.jpg

I found myself getting geekily excited reading this.

I hope you are right because I have a couple but if history repeats itself, TRU will find more.

It went out of stock once already, then it was back and available for about a half a day, but hasn't been back in stock since.   It's been a few days since that happened. 

I'm hoping it's knocked out too because I am sitting on a few of these as well.  I plan on holding them for a little bit.. but still.  It's always a minor victory when you finally see them go out of stock at TRU.  The Rancor pit went out last month, and hasn't reappeared.  So, looks like the yoda waves are finally depleting into oblivion.  

• 4 weeks later...

It probably maxes out around $200.  The earlier model goes for $160 new and this model isn't that much of an improvement (IMO).

​Yeah, kinda agree. Took the older model nearly 9 years to reach $160 from MSRP $75. Going to have to ditch this as money can be better spent else. 

Edited by legowalker

The old Sail Barge was an excellent investment that reached $300 plus (only after 2-3 years of retirement).  It's value depreciated after the 75020 refresh arrived.  We have an entire thread about the ISD and SB refreshes hurting the originals (6210 and 6211). 

I think the original will retain most of it's value (might even increase) because 75020's design isn't well liked by many & it's smaller (minifigs are cool though) 

Edited by jaisonline
  • Like 1

​Yeah, kinda agree. Took the older model nearly 9 years to reach $160 from MSRP $75. Going to have to ditch this as money can be better spent else. 

​Yes, please do your homework before making statements such as this.  It's very misleading to new members.

• Like 9

My general philosophy is that any original trilogy-based Star Wars LEGO set with an MSRP over $100 that can be had at greater than 25% discount (e.***. bogo 50%), is a buy.

This set which has some cool minifigures and is an iconic scene will do well once people can't have it and thus they want it.

Come this time next year I expect this is getting to $170.  This set's 2013 sibling, the republic gunship is already getting this on ebay.

At the same time, with the new movies coming out, we might get lucky and interval between rehashing gets stretched out to accomodate the newer sets.

For me this is a medium term hold - 1-2 years. 

Edited by cladner
  • Like 4

Why doesn't everyone wait until this xmas and see what just about any SW set does for you. I bet those that bough UCS b-wings at msrp will be able to make money. I don't think some of you realize just what is coming this winter.

• Like 4