21005 - Fallingwater

allen9917

I would not let Farnsworth go by. 

I sold 28 of them in the last 60 days at $75 (paid $40 on them during the BAM BOGO and coupon stack).  It is a very popular set.

but I stil buy them at the $54 when I see them and save those for down the road.  If it sells that well while being in stock on B&****** website it will jump when they are gone.

Falling Water is great as well just wouldn't skip over Farnsworth.

Just wanted to throw in a +1. I wisely took ravens Farnsworth advice during the BAM BOGO and have done well. I was at $75 and have now sold two at $85. Also picked up some FW during that sale. I owe raven a night at the bar. 

Not trying to tell anyone how to do their business, but if you are selling these at $75 - I just don't understand why. You're making what, $15 tops, and that's before incrementals like gas, packing/shipping supplies, etc. Factor all that in you're under $10. And what's your time worth to go buy it, and then pack and ship it? In a relatively short amount of time this set will hit $100 without problem, I just can't grasp why someone who doesn't NEED the cash would short sell these at $75. It's barely break even.

Perhaps I just over value my time.

(By "these" I mean Farsnworth House since it is what was being discussed)

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

Not trying to tell anyone how to do their business, but if you are selling these at $75 - I just don't understand why. You're making what, $15 tops, and that's before incrementals like gas, packing/shipping supplies, etc. Factor all that in you're under $10. And what's your time worth to go buy it, and then pack and ship it? In a relatively short amount of time this set will hit $100 without problem, I just can't grasp why someone who doesn't NEED the cash would short sell these at $75. It's barely break even.

yes if you bought them for $60+, then that would be silly. I wouldn't let most of mine go for $75, but the couple I got for $30 I sure would if I was needing to get some cash flow going.

I paid less than $30 for mine that I sold at $75 and $85. And I know Raven did as well. And I've used the profits from those to reinvest in the ones I still find at B&******. I don't count my time as my wife goes to Barnes and Nobles and BAM probably 5 times a week to have a coffee with her mommy group and her Romanian friends. It's also a hobby for me so I only spend the time I want to spend. 

And I won't speak for Raven but I know he sells enough that even at $20 profit over 100's of sets, I would think he does just fine. 

EDIT:

And the bigger point is that Farnsworth was selling decently over MSRP while still available both online and in store. Could be a good sign for the future. 

Edited by tmock12

$75 on BOGO = 60+30=$90 - 20% off coupon = $72 / 2 = $36 cost per set ($38.52 with tax)

Sell at $75 -6.75 fees - $7 avg shipping = $61.25

61.25-38.52= $22.73 profit per set

Turning $38 into $60 while a set is still available to purchase below retail is not bad at all (60% profit)

Save the $54 B&****** purchased ones for when they hit $100 plus

• Like 1

$30 makes a bit more sense, though Even at $40 - If you are selling on Amazon/Ebay for $75, you're looking at $10-$15 in fees, then lets approximate 8-10 in shipping costs. Add in some gas and whatever else... And you're clearing 10-15. Just doesn't make a ton of sense for me something with a much better upside in the near future. Anyway, not that this is irrelevant, but it's amazing me how many investors scramble to get stuff at good prices, then sell it for minor profits. You're better off saving yourself the time and hassle and ordering a good exclusive on its way out and waiting a couple months and saving yourself the running around. 

And this is coming from a guy that is a clearance/bargain hunter. 

And maybe to some people, $10 for the time and energy is worth it. But I encourage people who feel that way to rethink their strategies a tad. 

Sell at $75 -6.75 fees - $7 avg shipping = $61.25

This is where my skepticism comes in. On Amazon, to sell at 75 and ship oneself, the fees alone are around $13. I am under the assumption Ebay fees are similar, perhaps I am wrong on that point. 

Edited by Achilles

$30 makes a bit more sense, though Even at $40 - If you are selling on Amazon/Ebay for $75, you're looking at $10-$15 in fees, then lets approximate 8-10 in shipping costs. Add in some gas and whatever else... And you're clearing 10-15. Just doesn't make a ton of sense for me something with a much better upside in the near future. Anyway, not that this is irrelevant, but it's amazing me how many investors scramble to get stuff at good prices, then sell it for minor profits. You're better off saving yourself the time and hassle and ordering a good exclusive on its way out and waiting a couple months and saving yourself the running around. 

And maybe to some people, $10 for the time and energy is worth it. But I encourage people who feel that way to rethink their strategies a tad. 

Why? Why do you care if others lose money? The sooner others get out the less competition for you when you decide to start selling yours. I never understand why people care about how other people invest. The only things that really annoy me are the things that affect me. Like how you can't get any discounts anymore because the horde mass panic buys any set that has the slightest sign of shortage causing more shortage at msrp.

Edited by mscheaf
  • Like 2

You're missing the point. For someone doing this full time $10-$20 per set is excellent. You just have to do it multiple times. Keep in mind the set is still available. Sell, restock, sell again. Wash, rinse, repeat. Edited by Migration
  • Like 1

Why? Why do you care if others lose money? The sooner others get out the less competition for you when you decide to start selling yours. I never understand why people care about how other people invest. The only things that really annoy me are the things that affect me. Like how you can't get any discounts anymore because the horde mass panic buys any set that has the slightest sign of shortage causing more shortage at msrp.

I "care" because this site is a community about Brickpickers helping other Brickpickers. 

Migration - "You're missing the point. For someone doing this full time $10-$20 per set is excellent. You just have to do it multiple times. Keep in mind the set is still available. Sell, restock, sell again. Wash, rinse, repeat."

If people were making $20 per set, I would absolutely agree. I just don't think people are even making $10 per set. And again, you need to factor in an hourly rate. Like I mentioned, perhaps I just over value my time. And there's also an opportunity cost - You're not going to find more Farnsworth once they are done, and the value they have in several months will far outweigh the benefits of selling them for $10 profit now. 

From reading these sorts of threads, I seriously believe many people severely overestimate their actual profits and fail to factor in a lot of other costs. Simple math sounds good "Oo, mixels buy at $2, sell at $10! cha-ching!)" but it really doesn't work that way. Anyway, my point of the post to begin with is just to encourage people to rethink their strats. They certainly don't have to. And if it is working for you, that's great. I am trying to offer my advice and help people do better. I won't take it personally if you ignore my thoughts. :) A lot of new folks read these threads too, and maybe they'll benefit.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

Like others have mentioned, I don't mind if people do this.  If they are selling all of their product like this, once it retires, there will be less out there and the prices will most likely jump higher faster and make it easier for you to make money.  I remember a few months back I bought 2 Farnsworth houses and TRU, because I believed it was on the way out especially since Lego didn't even have it on their website anymore.  I'm more than fine waiting on this set to get me at least double what I paid for it.  No big deal.

I just don't see why you are so worried about what other people sell their sets for.  If they want to sell it at that price, so be it.  It doesn't effect me in the slightest.

This is where my skepticism comes in. On Amazon, to sell at 75 and ship oneself, the fees alone are around $13. I am under the assumption Ebay fees are similar, perhaps I am wrong on that point. 

The original comment I made was not even about what to sell them at.   I stated not to overlook Farnsworth House as a few posters had mentioned there were a lot available.  

I only used my personal sales to let others know it is a popular set and if it sells this well while still being available in certain retail stores it will do even better once fully gone.

That's it nothing more.  I stated I still buy them at $54 for down the road.  

I think Farnsworth gets overlooked a lot compared to Falling Water and seeing the ceiling for most all Architecture seems to be in the double range it doesn't have much more to go from where it is at right now but at $54 buy in $100-120 would be a nice sale.

• Like 1

If people were making $20 per set, I would absolutely agree. I just don't think people are even making $10 per set. And again, you need to factor in an hourly rate. Like I mentioned, perhaps I just over value my time. And there's also an opportunity cost - You're not going to find more Farnsworth once they are done, and the value they have in several months will far outweigh the benefits of selling them for $10 profit now. 

My best advice is if you feel these sellers have priced too low then buy their future profits at a nice discount and enjoy the spoils down the road. Let them deal with the sourcing and packing and you stick to counting the money. Just don't be wrong on the future value or you will find yourself working for next to nothing as well. Go find Mark and his crawlers and he will tell you all about it.

Edited by asharerin

My $5-$10 flips pay for my $50-$100 flips.

As for hourly rate, easy to package/ship sets I can pay my 8 or 10 year old a buck to do it.

Buy from store, update listing already made. Get notification when sold, have kids pack or do it myself. Do that 5 times a day and you have plenty of money for the exclusives and what not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 2

The original comment I made was not even about what to sell them at.   I stated not to overlook Farnsworth House as a few posters had mentioned there were a lot available.  

I only used my personal sales to let others know it is a popular set and if it sells this well while still being available in certain retail stores it will do even better once fully gone.

That's it nothing more.  I stated I still buy them at $54 for down the road.  

I think Farnsworth gets overlooked a lot compared to Falling Water and seeing the ceiling for most all Architecture seems to be in the double range it doesn't have much more to go from where it is at right now but at $54 buy in $100-120 would be a nice sale.

"ceiling for most all Architecture seems to be in the double range"

Many sets are in the triple range and Architecture sets are a great overall investment, especially the less expensive sets. :)

Yeah, how fast do you think Amazon will sell out?

I think someone recently said they saw Amazon had 1400 of them when they could see stock levels which I think was a couple of weeks ago.  So, I dunno.  Maybe someone smarter than me can guesstimate how many they sell from the rank they are or whatever.  I have faith in the horde to wipe them out quickly though!