What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 2 years later...
34 minutes ago, legoray01 said:

40338 Christmas Tree for $49.00 procured with the Bat Mobile last year and after expenses of $16.61 a return of 32.39.

Mentally, I always have an issue putting a purchase cost with these freebies!  Do I consider the value of all sets against the purchase price of the item I got them with or do I go with Free.  I [picked Free but accounting wise I can see this being included as cost of goods sold and having a value (same as the bonus bat mobile i got with the purchase)    

I try to use the lego fine print value of the freebie,  and decrement that amount from the other items .

• Like 1

Did a QFLL of a Crocodile Locomotive that I bought last week during summer break in Italy @218CHF. They were sold for 99eur and I got some VAT back, nice quick doubling of investment. It's TOOS in Switzerland and I did not see it in Lyon but they were in all 3 lego shops I went to in Italy.

• Like 1

So I liquidated my position in Dimension packs  .  Sold 21 of them for 184.50 that cost me 183.10  After expenses my net loss was $39.20 for an ROI of -21%  (ooops)

But I also sold a 75013 Umbaran HMC that I paid $30.20 for for $150 and after expenses got a return of $87.55 for an ROI of 290%  

Somethings work, somethings don't  

I am also preparing to move so the 7 pallets of Lego needs to become a more reasonable three before next summer so Dimensions just did not have a place in my future.  If I was not moving I would have just sat on them  but one less box to move and green stuff in my pocket is easier on the back, the wife and my future storage constraints.

Also, I have switched to UPS for shipping so some costs are a little higher but the bigger boxes are a little cheaper but the ground shipping is faster than US Priority mail right now.  ( I sent 1 item to a buyer 10 days ago it has not got there yet via mail and sent him another item via UPS on Friday and it will get there tomorrow (ground))  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, legoray01 said:

So I liquidated my position in Dimension packs  .  Sold 21 of them for 184.50 that cost me 183.10  After expenses my net loss was $39.20 for an ROI of -21%  (ooops)

But I also sold a 75013 Umbaran HMC that I paid $30.20 for for $150 and after expenses got a return of $87.55 for an ROI of 290%  

Somethings work, somethings don't  

I am also preparing to move so the 7 pallets of Lego needs to become a more reasonable three before next summer so Dimensions just did not have a place in my future.  If I was not moving I would have just sat on them  but one less box to move and green stuff in my pocket is easier on the back, the wife and my future storage constraints.

Also, I have switched to UPS for shipping so some costs are a little higher but the bigger boxes are a little cheaper but the ground shipping is faster than US Priority mail right now.  ( I sent 1 item to a buyer 10 days ago it has not got there yet via mail and sent him another item via UPS on Friday and it will get there tomorrow (ground))  

i'm considering making a switch to UPS as well. Do you print out labels via PayPal? is there an advantage to setting up a UPS account?

I do not have the account.  I just have the address on the box and they make the labels there at the  store (it is just a mile from my home) but I also am not shipping that much stuff so it is not cumbersome to me - Shipping 10 to fifteen  items a week right now)    A big day is when I take five items to ship  (usually Mondays)

4 minutes ago, legoray01 said:

I do not have the account.  I just have the address on the box and they make the labels there at the  store (it is just a mile from my home) but I also am not shipping that much stuff so it is not cumbersome to me - Shipping 10 to fifteen  items a week right now)    A big day is when I take five items to ship  (usually Mondays)

usps and ups are about the same distance for me. i should probably ship one UPS to see the cost difference. 

I can't speak for UPS but FedEx is half the price to ship the big boxes compared to USPS. Signature confirmation is more expensive with FexEx versus USPS. But even if you use sig conf for larger and more expensive sets (like I do) the savings is still worth it to go with FedEx for larger sets. Smaller boxes are cheaper with USPS. At least where I live (Columbus, Ohio).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gonkalin said:

I can't speak for UPS but FedEx is half the price to ship the big boxes compared to USPS. Signature confirmation is more expensive with FexEx versus USPS. But even if you use sig conf for larger and more expensive sets (like I do) the savings is still worth it to go with FedEx for larger sets. Smaller boxes are cheaper with USPS. At least where I live (Columbus, Ohio).

appreciate the insight. think i may give one of these other carriers a go and just see how things turn out. 

9 minutes ago, Gonkalin said:

I got a decent size one that just sold (swamp Police Station) So I think I will pack it and take a quick trip to FED EX and see what they come up with.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarleyMoose said:

If you can fit a set in a 4" height box instead of a 6" it makes all the difference in price using USPS Priority with EBay discount..

couldn't on this one, Barracuda Bay. I've noticed there are a few taller boxes now: barracuda bay, nes, corner garage, treehouse, etc. they don't fit into the 4" like modulars in the past. 

1 hour ago, Gonkalin said:

My biggest issue with FedEx is the extra charge for delivery to a residence. Factoring that into the equation, usps prices were pretty similar for larger packages.  I am having a real problem shipping a 24x12x9 over 5lbs package for a good price.

1 hour ago, Gonkalin said:

Fedex vs. USPS has been comparable for me, but I have never seen much in the way of savings with one or the other. Also important to keep in mind, Fedex and UPS rates are estimates. If you under reported size (easy to do, especially if you report the nominal box dimensions and not the actual) or weight, you will likely get charged more. Similar can happen with USPS, but you don't get auto-billed.

So today I sold my last Livi's Pop star House (41135)  for $275 off of a buy-in of $30.20 on 11/26/2016.  After expenses the profit was 194.22 for an ROI of 643%  ( I almost sold this one last year fall for $100.  Good thing the buyer never came back to get it.)  

Also - 75003 A-Wing for $55 , 75142 Spider Droid for $115, 75080 AAT for $90 and a 21018 United Nations for $100 all in a single purchase for combined shipping.  The profit was 198.44 for the four sets on a buy-in of 98.18  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Furious_george said:

Sold my last Saturn V for 3 x buy in. I fully expect LEGO to re-release this set in the near future.

I actually didn't buy lots of these due to thinking the same, however I now think that the probability of lego re-releasing the set is slim. 

On 8/17/2020 at 12:46 PM, MotorCityMuscle said:

appreciate the insight. think i may give one of these other carriers a go and just see how things turn out. 

SO I shipped to the same buyer a box of the same size.  There was a 79012 Mirkwood army that went USPS Priority mail for $13.25.  I sent a 75042 Droid Gunship and it was $18.53 via UPS. 

Both went from MI to CO.  US Priority took a week and UPS says it will take 5 days ground.  IF Mail  was better I would send  these priority via US Mail. but lager boxes would go UPS.   Right now I am paying a little more for UPS for smaller but these multi week delays are just killing me.,    

8 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

Just curious, whats the indicator(s) giving you a change of heart?

I just think its very unlikely for an ideas set to get re-released. I got put off from all the chatter on here, but going by the number of sets lego releasing nowadays, just doesn't seem feasible for lego to release under the creator banner. Plus with the new lego strategy of more 18+ sets, its more likely they would go for a big piece count updated shuttle expedition after the lunar lander set retires.

Should have went with my gut as this set turnover is insane, I only sell on ebay and even when you list this set, it usually sells within a few hours if priced reasonable, which is very good compared to other sets which may sell for alot, but takes time to sell.

• Like 1