What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 2 years later...

Lambo for $550 cash, local deal off facebook marketplace ad. 

No fees no problem...not bad for a 1 week hold and 5 minute drive (on my way to FedEx anyway). So in my twisted AFoL mind, when I buy the set again I am getting it for 40% off (not including small stuff like GWP and VIP pts)...that would be for personal collection...but who are we kidding..I will likely sell my next NISB for the market rate and "finally" find a used one well below market down the road.

I remember getting my Silent Mary cheap using TRU magic. I really want to build it, but I like money more, so...
Those are such tough ones; I kept my last town hall for a few years and then finally broke it open. Sometimes you can't find a good deal on a used set.
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 5:59 PM, siddji said:

Sold 2 LEGO 75222 Star Wars Betrayal at Cloud City

No box Sealed Bags - $500

Sealed Mint Box - $680 

Seeing what ridiculous prices a lot of US buyers are willing to pay for all kinds of sets (even mediocre to bad ones), you get the impression that it nearly doesn't matter at all what you buy as a US-based investor, you'll make a profit anyway. Meanwhile, in the EU selling prices are much lower and rise significantly slower, so you really have to know what you are doing. How there can be such big differences in the buyers' general willingness to separate from their hard-earned money?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Seeing what ridiculous prices a lot of US buyers are willing to pay for all kinds of sets (even mediocre to bad ones), you get the impression that it nearly doesn't matter at all what you buy as a US-based investor, you'll make a profit anyway. Meanwhile, in the EU selling prices are much lower and rise significantly slower, so you really have to know what you are doing. How there can be such big differences in the buyers' general willingness to separate from their hard-earned money?

USA 1%'er grandma is beaming with pride that you called all her capital gains in 2019 and 2020 hard earned money.

25 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

How can there be such big differences in the buyers' general willingness to separate from their hard-earned money?

Impulsive consumerism (brainwashed from birth) - without any sense of self control or reason.

Most people in america live paycheck to paycheck - not because they need to, but because it is the only way that most will ever know.

Edited by KShine

35 minutes ago, KShine said:

Impulsive consumerism (brainwashed from birth) - without any sense of self control or reason.

Most people in america live paycheck to paycheck - not because they need to, but because it is the only way that most will ever know.

Pssh, easy on the truth, man. At least until I sell all of the sets in my basement :D :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KShine said:

Ouch, so harsh... and yet so true.  Not to mention the “have to have it now” mentality and not able to distinguish between “wants” vs “needs”.  I believe this is more prevalent in the US than other parts of the world.  IMO anyway

• Like 1

There's also the part where it's not worth their time.  Time is a lot of money.  Many people I know won't have the time to find the lowest price for their item.  Most white collar professionals... etc will just get the gift for whatever price they see it at in the 5-10 minutes they want to spend looking.  They definitely are not wathing amazon or going to walmart to find the lowest price for a bday gift 3 months later...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thelovemachine said:

There's also the part where it's not worth their time.  Time is a lot of money.  Many people I know won't have the time to find the lowest price for their item.  Most white collar professionals... etc will just get the gift for whatever price they see it at in the 5-10 minutes they want to spend looking.  They definitely are not wathing amazon or going to walmart to find the lowest price for a bday gift 3 months later...

That’s true anywhere. I work in the Toronto downtown core in the bank towers and there is not a single toy store down there except one whose entire business model appears to be gouging hurried downtown workers who don’t have the time to browse the internet or go to their local toy store. Their regular prices are always 20% more than MSRP and even then they are usually advertised as “on sale”, which sale never ends. But these parents have to rush to make the train so since time is money this toy store endures. And they have some high rent in those towers. 

Yeah... we are all just cogs in the economy... ultimately capitalism is fairly efficient... and for the noobs... the amount of time/research/gas/work is not small... if spent on another job... will pay more than LEGO with benefits.

as we all know... 100x easier to buy than to sell.  Even in this pandemic...there's a ton of lego that doesn't sell...

41 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

Ouch, so harsh... and yet so true.  Not to mention the “have to have it now” mentality and not able to distinguish between “wants” vs “needs”.  I believe this is more prevalent in the US than other parts of the world.  IMO anyway

This. The mentality is that if the person wants something, s/he should be able to have it. This comes through very clearly when someone gets whiny and then aggressive when I won't mark a price down to a ridiculously low level for something that "I really want" or "I need this for my collection/child's birthday/etc."

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

This. The mentality is that if the person wants something, s/he should be able to have it. This comes through very clearly when someone gets whiny and then aggressive when I won't mark a price down to a ridiculously low level for something that "I really want" or "I need this for my collection/child's birthday/etc."

1 hour ago, LegoTriathlete said:

Let's assume what was said so far about US customers buying habits is true and it's a pretty unique characteristic of this specific market. But WHY are buyers different (like that) from buyers in Europe then? What's the explanation for "I dont care, just take my money!" (US) vs. "I just wont pay those ridiculous prices!" (Europe). (Like I said, lets just ASSUME reality looks - kind of - like this for the purpose of this discussion.)

13 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Let's assume what was said so far about US customers buying habits is true and it's a pretty unique characteristic of this specific market. But WHY are buyers different (like that) from buyers in Europe then? What's the explanation for "I dont care, just take my money!" (US) vs. "I just wont pay those ridiculous prices!" (Europe). (Like I said, lets just ASSUME reality looks - kind of - like this for the purpose of this discussion.)

consumerism seems more part of US culture than other countries,  prices tend to be cheaper to ship things across our country, I'm guessing perhaps more Americans have larger houses than the average European household so theres more room for non essentials. 

just some of thre factors I'd suspect, but I won't say any of those guesses are fact

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Because people are mostly just what you make them.

One's beliefs/values, their sense of right and wrong are mostly based on when and where you were born.

2 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Americans have more discretionary income due to "low" taxes. Pair that with access to cheap credit and you have the worlds biggest spenders. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dennugsmello said:

Americans have more discretionary income due to "low" taxes. Pair that with access to cheap credit and you have the worlds biggest spenders. 

Just to add a little bit of facts to the assumptions:

image.thumb.png.6949b136e5e080610b9dcdf1cd88529b.png

Which means, for example:
The average US customer spends 34% more per year for private consumption than the average UK customer. The gap is even bigger compared to Germany and France.

Edited by Frank Brickowski

20 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Stand by. I will move the economic discussions to the quarantine pricing discussion thread.

Please let’s get back to sharing your selling wins.

Picked up a sealed 79018 a couple years ago for $135. This week I sold the unopened Smaug and the parts needed to complete him for $165 with free shipping. 

• Like 1