What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 2 years later...
24 minutes ago, legoray01 said:

I have signs that say no negotiation and I stick with that . When new people comes up I explain pricing to them so I take the mystery of it out.  I tell them I sell this for X on ebay and have sold two in the last  two months (truth) I indicate that I reduce my garage sale priced to reflect a cost savings form mot paying ebay, pal Pal and shipping fees. I also tell them it is not a perfect science but in general I try.  I don't encourage them to check ebay but in my Craigslist as I see them checking - GO ahead and check  im not afraid of them checking - they are usually presently surprised and see I have told them the truth.  Someone buys four or five sets I do not budge.  

After doing this a few years i have my regulars who come shopping.  One is the little old lady on her walker who spent $700 just this year.  She likes suggestions so I steered her to one of my low buy-in good appreciation set and told her I was taking it to half price for her.  She is a neighbor from three doors down and she has bought form me for years.  A deal is worth it for me to take care of the neighbors.  

But in general I just say no and tell them if I go lower I would just take it to ebay.  There are tricks:

1. I make it look like a store

2, I make it an event that people talk about

3.) I prove to them they are already getting a discount with my price.  

4. ) I have items from $4 - $400 

5. ) My Lego are not mixed in with "Garage Sale" items

6.) I do not sell used Lego 

7.) Prices are clearly marked - Sticky note with price and set number.  (Critical for tracking and not getting confused onm the cost of a set.) 

8.) You may have multiples but only put out 1.  Let them believe it could be your last one.  You can always pull the duplicate out once an item is sold.  

I have a spreadsheet and have been tracking buy-ins for years but I priced based on eBay.   If I lose a little money on a set I sell it for a loss.  What I paid for it is not important.  It is what I can sell it for that is important.  But if I am losing money and have to ship it and pay fees then I lose a lot more.  In the garage Sale it is about volume sales 61 of my sales is under $28.  THese are sets that maybe hard to sell for a profit on ebay but for me they generated $500 in profit.  Sure - you get your whales but this chump stuff is a solid foundation and a way to get rid of low hanging fruit.  When you sell 100 plus sets in an event accept the few losses and consider a way to pare out underperformers.  

Good lord - I am so tired I write like garbage - sorry  

Some additional thoughts (I know at this point it is the wrong thread but I am about to have someone come buy and purchase the6860 Bat Cave SO i can say I sold that.)

1.) DO not have a discount table Yes Chima sucks but if you give a discount the folks who are looking and don't want to spend cash may go that and will shy away from a better purchase.  IF you discount Chima then why won't you discount other stuff.  

2.) Have a damaged box, indicate it is damaged and tell them the price is lower due to damage.  That way they still get the "bargain"  But there is a fundamental reason for the discount.  Don't damage boxes to do this but if you have badly beaten, stolen UPC boxes, etc.  a great way to get those sets gone.

3.) Know where the banks are - I There are six surrounding my neighborhood.  I take cash .  I will not take pay pal (I do not want those extra transaction's.

4.) Idiots will still show up - deal with them nicely.  Once they research they are likely to come back tomorrow with a new mindset.  They just don't get it right away.  

5.)  you are running a retail store.  The Customer is not always right but you want to be helpful without being overly pushy.  Even when they are being crazy still be nice.  And Kids are going to pick-up sets and move them - Deal with it.

6.) IF someone is shopping and ask about paying tell them cash and you are happy to put their sets on hold for an hour while they go to the bank.  All of sudden 2 sets become three.  Don't take a deposit but give them a time frame.  "HAppy to hold for you until 2:00 p.m."  The reason is people don't always come back and then you are in a weird spot if you have some of their case.  

7.) DOn't judge what you will sell in the future from what you sold in the past-  One year it was friends and the next year it is DC.  Next up City and after that Star Wars.   Have a large inventory and roll with it.  One year two kids dropped $400 on Chima and thought it was the greatest thing ever.  

And yes - the guy is here now buying a 6860 for $61.  I have had three of them for years and no one has bought them and this year I have sold all three.  (Never understood why this set did not take off but hey - not my problem anymore.) Buy in was 44.52  (small potatoes by itself but do this 100 times and 🙂

• Like 4

heres some ... sold on the bay

Mixels 41573 $27

JW 75933 x3 $90ea

Creator 31078 $50

HF 7148 loose $20

Ideas 21301 x10 $85ea

Ghostbusters 75828 x2 $100ea

SW 75102 x4 $120ea

Technic 42053 x3 $160ea

Batman 70906 $75

Ninjago 70593 x2 $100ea

Dimensions 71206 $25

Ninjago 70611 x3 $55ea

Elves 41190 x10 $25ea

Disney 41156 x2 $33ea

SW 75136 x5 $37ea

Elves 41187 x5 $110ea

Duplo 6157 $178

Technic 42060 $35

Creator 31075 x3 $35ea

• Like 2

Some additional thoughts (I know at this point it is the wrong thread but I am about to have someone come buy and purchase the6860 Bat Cave SO i can say I sold that.)
1.) DO not have a discount table Yes Chima sucks but if you give a discount the folks who are looking and don't want to spend cash may go that and will shy away from a better purchase.  IF you discount Chima then why won't you discount other stuff.  
2.) Have a damaged box, indicate it is damaged and tell them the price is lower due to damage.  That way they still get the "bargain"  But there is a fundamental reason for the discount.  Don't damage boxes to do this but if you have badly beaten, stolen UPC boxes, etc.  a great way to get those sets gone.
3.) Know where the banks are - I There are six surrounding my neighborhood.  I take cash .  I will not take pay pal (I do not want those extra transaction's.
4.) Idiots will still show up - deal with them nicely.  Once they research they are likely to come back tomorrow with a new mindset.  They just don't get it right away.  
5.)  you are running a retail store.  The Customer is not always right but you want to be helpful without being overly pushy.  Even when they are being crazy still be nice.  And Kids are going to pick-up sets and move them - Deal with it.
6.) IF someone is shopping and ask about paying tell them cash and you are happy to put their sets on hold for an hour while they go to the bank.  All of sudden 2 sets become three.  Don't take a deposit but give them a time frame.  "HAppy to hold for you until 2:00 p.m."  The reason is people don't always come back and then you are in a weird spot if you have some of their case.  
7.) DOn't judge what you will sell in the future from what you sold in the past-  One year it was friends and the next year it is DC.  Next up City and after that Star Wars.   Have a large inventory and roll with it.  One year two kids dropped $400 on Chima and thought it was the greatest thing ever.  
And yes - the guy is here now buying a 6860 for $61.  I have had three of them for years and no one has bought them and this year I have sold all three.  (Never understood why this set did not take off but hey - not my problem anymore.) Buy in was 44.52  (small potatoes by itself but do this 100 times and

Great posts and information Ray. One question. Do you staff your sale with just yourself, or do you have 1-2 others helping? It would make me a bit nervous if somebody decided to shoplift or grab an expensive set and just take off with it while you are distracted helping other customers.

I’ve considered doing something very similar to this in the past, but the neighborhood we lived in was a bit sketchy so I never did. We just recently moved into a much nicer neighborhood that I think would be ideal for something like this. Every spring they have a neighborhood sale so I think I might give it a try.

Thanks again for the posts, and congrats on your successful weekend.

41 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

Great posts and information Ray. One question. Do you staff your sale with just yourself, or do you have 1-2 others helping? It would make me a bit nervous if somebody decided to shoplift or grab an expensive set and just take off with it while you are distracted helping other customers.

I’ve considered doing something very similar to this in the past, but the neighborhood we lived in was a bit sketchy so I never did. We just recently moved into a much nicer neighborhood that I think would be ideal for something like this. Every spring they have a neighborhood sale so I think I might give it a try.

Thanks again for the posts, and congrats on your successful weekend.

Just me.  My wife gives breaks when I need them but my neighborhood is not sketchy.  I keep a real good eye on the Lego an my checkout table is between garage where Lego are an everything else.    I throw the money in the house for her to count - She likes that part 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

First major sale from bulk vintage lot buys that I have been doing lately. 6081, King's Mountain Fortress - no box, instructions, complete with ~3 pieces I had to buy to finish. $200 plus shipping. The lot that this was included in has Forestmen's Crossing without base plate, Forestmen's Fortress, and some yet to be determined classic space sets. $100 invested, so rest is profit-land! Encouraging!

Edited by Goliatron
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

HP Burrow with Hagrid/Buckbeak BHz: FBM: mask to mask: $150 cash

Happy to free up capital w/ a decent gain on the GWP...and not worrying about fees or shipping is like such a wonderful feeling...in my wallet 

first glance, thought FBM is Fulfillment by Merchant

saw keyword "cash"

then realized it's Facebook Marketplace 

Silent Mary new $360. Someone messaged me and offered $300 on ebay. I said no. They asked what is my best price. I told him I was firm on my price that's why I didn't have "accept offers" checked on. One hour later someone else bought the set at full price ($360). Patience wins.

• Like 8