What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 5 years later...
Guest TabbyBoy
14 minutes ago, siddji said:

Unfortunately had to sell my "

Taj Mahal 10189

Grand Carousel 10196

VW Beetle 10187

Brand New Haunted House 10228

Sold All 4 for $2200 cash

All mint? Somebody's got a good deal. I'd love a 10189 and 10196. It's the 10187 that got me started in all this!

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

EBay has it's place in Scamville, which brings it down to garage sale prices.

I respectfully disagree, as a small time Amazon and eBay seller I usually price my eBay items at prices such that after fees I receive about the same as on Amazon, yes there are cases where Amazon nets more or eBay items never sell at my price. Yes the eBay items sell painfully slowly but they do sell and while I have at least a 10% scam on Amazon ratio, I have yet in thousands of sales to actually be completely scammed on eBay. I know everyone's experience is different, but reading the Amazon forum recently is just sad and scary. I thought the economy and income inequality was improving but the level of scamming and desperation by some suggest otherwise.

Edited by junkrigger

I respectfully disagree, as a small time Amazon and eBay seller I usually price my eBay items at prices such that after fees I receive about the same as on Amazon, yes there are cases where Amazon nets more or eBay items never sell at my price. Yes the eBay items sell painfully slowly but they do sell and while I have at least a 10% scam on Amazon ratio, I have yet in thousands of sales to actually be completely scammed on eBay. I know everyone's experience is different, but reading the Amazon forum recently is just sad and scary. I thought the economy and income inequality was improving but the level of scamming and desperation by some suggest otherwise.

Even a 10% scam ratio on Amazon seems really high... how can you survive that? ..is that what you are experiencing? FBM or FBA?
  • Like 1

Just now, BrickLegacy said:

Even a 10% scam ratio on Amazon seems really high... how can you survive that? ..is that what you are experiencing? FBM or FBA?

FBM and yes I don't sell much on Amazon so mine is probably higher as I get scammed then don't sell for a while, get temped by high prices so enter the fray again and get scammed again. I had some really big ticket scam items like 10188 and my percentage is based on dollars not on number of items sold.  Meaning 10% of total amazon net sales end up being to scams. Also I still count it a scam even if Amazon paid.

Edited by junkrigger

1 minute ago, BrickLegacy said:

Perhaps it's an attempted scam rate?  I usually sell FBA, but I've had a few attempted scams on FBM.  Once I've responded with quoted rules from Amazon, they move on and try to scam someone else.  I know that isn't everyone's experience, but it works on some people.  But a 10% scam rate would be unsustainable and would cripple a platform.  Next you're going to tell me unemployment is over 40% ;)

8 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

I've heard of plenty and experienced several scams through EBay, but the activity seems cyclical, as with almost anything online.

I'd also hate to move 100 of anything on EBay.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Perhaps it's an attempted scam rate?  I usually sell FBA, but I've had a few attempted scams on FBM.  Once I've responded with quoted rules from Amazon, they move on and try to scam someone else.  I know that isn't everyone's experience, but it works on some people.  But a 10% scam rate would be unsustainable and would cripple a platform.  Next you're going to tell me unemployment is over 40% ;)

True unemployment is hard to calculate, if you include underemployment or those not counted. I never said 40% but I will say 20% for certain populations or sectors. I am sure on a dollars to dollars count other Amazon sellers have similar 10% losses due to scams.  I work in the sciences and to anyone who doesn't don't try to tell me what the unemployment ratio is, especially for those who are just out of school or for more senior workers with the rampant proliferation of H1B visas to shelter corporate profits at the expense of native workers. Do you work at Intel surrounded by foreigners on H1B's? If you don't have any experience with others reality then best not to claim its false.

Edited by junkrigger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, junkrigger said:

True unemployment is hard to calculate, if you include underemployment or those not counted. I never said 40% but I will say 20% for certain populations or sectors. I am sure on a dollars to dollars count other Amazon sellers have similar 10% losses due to scams.  I work in the sciences and to anyone who doesn't don't try to tell me what the unemployment ratio is for those who are just out of school or for more senior workers with the rampant proliferation of H1B visas to shelter corporate profits at the expense of native workers. Do you work at Intel surrounded by foreigners on H1B's? If you don't have any experience with others reality then keep your mouth shut.

LOLOLOL!!!!!! Thanks for using an anecdote in one field (and one company) to prove your point about an entire country of workers throughout a diverse workforce.  I won't bother debating you because this isn't the place, but I made a joke about an absurd and completely baseless claim made by someone publicly.  It was a joke at the end of a response to the actual topic at hand, scammers on Amazon, specifically scam purchasers. 

Back to your 10% losses...I doubt anyone who moves any real volume feels that sort of pain.  You've clearly been very unlucky and I'm very sorry for that.  I've only moved a couple dozen items FBM (and hundreds FBA) and haven't been scammed once.  I hope you find the right platform for you sales that works for you.  Good luck!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

True unemployment is hard to calculate, if you include underemployment or those not counted. I never said 40% but I will say 20% for certain populations or sectors. I am sure on a dollars to dollars count other Amazon sellers have similar 10% losses due to scams.  I work in the sciences and to anyone who doesn't don't try to tell me what the unemployment ratio is, especially for those who are just out of school or for more senior workers with the rampant proliferation of H1B visas to shelter corporate profits at the expense of native workers. Do you work at Intel surrounded by foreigners on H1B's? If you don't have any experience with others reality then best not to claim its false.

Sciences, gainfully employed
Sony-Breaking-Bad-2-2.jpg

• Like 3

The only unemployment number that matters to an individual who wants to work to provide for their family is the ratio of how many jobs they have been offered divided by how many jobs they have applied for. When that number approaches 0 for many in this country you can take those government unemployment numbers and put them in a drawer with all the cabinet picks Clinton made to early. The results of this last election say more about true unemployment than any numbers. Why else would so many vote against their best interests, or resort to reselling for meager profits, or panhandling or amphetamine making, or scamming. 

Edited by junkrigger

Just now, LegoEdison said:

would you mind to share what quoted rules you use in the scam? i hardly found anything useful from Amazon policy

"If the buyer contacts you to provide an updated shipping address, do not ship to that address. Sellers are only permitted to ship to the address provided in the order. It is not possible for buyers or sellers to update shipping addresses after orders are placed"

That one has helped a couple times.  None of them has cancelled the order or returned the item.  Perhaps I'm lucky.

55 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

"If the buyer contacts you to provide an updated shipping address, do not ship to that address. Sellers are only permitted to ship to the address provided in the order. It is not possible for buyers or sellers to update shipping addresses after orders are placed"

That one has helped a couple times.  None of them has cancelled the order or returned the item.  Perhaps I'm lucky.

How does that work with the fact that Amazon allows you to maintain umpteen different ship-to addresses? Can't they just create another ship-to and continue their scam that way?

12 minutes ago, Phil B said:

How does that work with the fact that Amazon allows you to maintain umpteen different ship-to addresses? Can't they just create another ship-to and continue their scam that way?

In this scam, they are trying to get you to forgo your protection and any chance of winning a dispute.  Once you send it to another address, they can claim and win a "not received" claim and your tracking doesn't deliver to the address on the order.  So they get their money back and get to keep the item, while you automatically lose because you didn't follow procedure.  For them to ship to another address, they need to cancel and repurchase with the correct address listed in the transaction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

In this scam, they are trying to get you to forgo your protection and any chance of winning a dispute.  Once you send it to another address, they can claim and win a "not received" claim and your tracking doesn't deliver to the address on the order.  So they get their money back and get to keep the item, while you automatically lose because you didn't follow procedure.  For them to ship to another address, they need to cancel and repurchase with the correct address listed in the transaction.

Right, same as the EBay address scam they've tried to pull on me several times - I just cancel the sale and send them a note telling them to correct their address first, then reorder. Never had a reorder from any of those folks. Costs me $0.30 but hey, better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

Our Princess shares Our hobby with whatever mommy can pay, so standard answer here: maybe You can put it on your christmis list ;-) but can't argue about the fact that if it were daddy alone, she would defenitly get it (like the frozen set he bought her recently while spending a day together) about the friends, yes stables and horses she wants it... but lately find it bit much comparising to what you get. .. or maybe i'm Just to long out of the game? :-)

Been busy for the last few weeks:

30447 Captain American Motorcycle - $5 plus S&H (Freebie)
70335 Nexo Knight Lavaria -$6 plus S&H (Freebie)
30525 Mini Batwing - $5 plus S&H  (Same as above...)
21022 Lincoln Memorial - $48 (Buy-in at $17)
71017 LEGO Batman Movie 20 Figure Set - $88 (Writing this off as a loss but I needed more space)
30522 LEGO Batman Movie Phantom Zone Poly x 8 - $54 (Buy-in at $1.19 each so this was a ridiculous profit.)
853651 Gotham City Police Pack - $21 plus S&H (Small profit but we'll see if this has legs...)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, siddji said:

Unfortunately had to sell my "

Taj Mahal 10189

Grand Carousel 10196

VW Beetle 10187

Brand New Haunted House 10228

Sold All 4 for $2200 cash

I am 99% certain I bought them from you! We love them!!! I figured you were on brickpicker as you knew way more than me :)

thank you again

6 hours ago, Phil B said:

At least you know it went to a good home..... maybe you can get visitation rights?

He can !!!

• Like 5