What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 5 years later...

Just read the last few posts here on SOH, rechecked my Amazon listing but did nothing to it, and just now got a notice that my one SOH had sold for $550 CDN. I'll make a $120 profit after fees and shipping and yet will probably soon regret not having it at a higher price. Nice problem to have. :) 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
47 minutes ago, marcandre said:

10234 Opera House for $479 via amz. Buy in was $247.98 last month. Got lucky with shipping too, only $14 with sig con. 

This thing is really taking off. Nice lil qfll. I have some to hold long term but it may be smart to flip more now if this is just a eol bump. Will it keep going or fall back like so many of the big 2015 sets? 

It'll fall likely back once bogus bricks poke their nose in. Holding long term is too risky now.

Guest TabbyBoy

1x 10225 R2-D2 MISB to a BP member for £235.00 posted.

1x 10197 Fire Brigade & 1x 10228 Haunted House for £520 posted.

1x 10228 Haunted House for £302 posted.

1x 21303 WALL-E for £64 posted.

On 13/1/2017 at 8:30 PM, ZULU said:

SOLD my last 7939 for 150E. (BL)

Impressed by its performance - doubling my buy-in after 3 years. I like it.

I guess it can hit 199, but that's profit I leave for the brave and patient.

You´re impressed by a set that is trading 20 euros under RRP almost 3 years after retiring?

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

You´re impressed by a set that is trading 20 euros under RRP almost 3 years after retiring?

LOL -  Not only that, it won't reach RRP if it hasn't done so by now. I'm surprised this wasn't just flipped a lot sooner.

Doubling buy-in after 3 years to sell at BELOW RRP is dire performance in my book... therefore, this set is a turkey!

Some sets are keepers but, most are flippers these days.

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

LOL -  Not only that, it won't reach RRP if it hasn't done so by now. I'm surprised this wasn't just flipped a lot sooner.

Doubling buy-in after 3 years to sell at BELOW RRP is dire performance in my book... therefore, this set is a turkey!

It actually is a good strategy. Launch a crapload of sets and there will be only a few winners. The rest is condemned to be no more than a quick flip or just simple noise.

For this set, just like 7938 Red Passenger Train, demand has been very overestimated. There are not that many lego train lovers who want every train set as there is supply.

Only 7937 Train Station is doing well selling more than RRP.

Happy I only have one of each. So at least I can build them myself and use them.

over the last week amazon FBM -

2x Raptor Escapes for $149.99 each on amazon FBM.  down to 4. 

2x 31009 Small Cottage for $49.98 FBM.  Paid $15.

3x Microfighter Clone Turbo Tanks for $39.98 each FBM.  paid $7.50 each. 

15x Emerald Express - $17.74 each.  paid $3.  these things are in demand because of the new little blue train.  i repriced $5 higher to see what happens. 

5x Disney Princess sleeping beauty's Bedroom - $39.64 - paid $9.  all out of these gold mines.

lots of small boxes.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 5

Unloaded a bunch of Ninjago at or near RRP that I picked up from Barnes at 80% off.
Been doing well with the Phantom polybags. Surprised that the Cpt America poly bags are still in demand internationally. Down to $5 each in bulk, but for how much they pay for shipping, I'm impressed with its performance.

Guest TabbyBoy

40155 Technic BWE for £145 cash - only £21 profit but, it's still very widely available (and hoarded) and took up too much space. I was hoping to build it but no space to display it ;-(

8070 Technic Super Car for £110 cash - £60 profit. I missed the boat when these were sellng for £150+ (another example of keeping a set for too long).

As you can see with the 8070, it's now struggling to sell for RRP several years later! RRP was £99.99 and last eBay sale was £82.00 ;-(

Technic is a VERY poor theme to invest in these days unless you can get >50% discount and keep it for a year (no more) after EOL. There's also a danger of resurrection like the Racing Truck.

Edited by TabbyBoy

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

sniffing at 100% returns after 3 years...

sigh...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ciglione said:

It actually is a good strategy. Launch a crapload of sets and there will be only a few winners. The rest is condemned to be no more than a quick flip or just simple noise.

For this set, just like 7938 Red Passenger Train, demand has been very overestimated. There are not that many lego train lovers who want every train set as there is supply.

Only 7937 Train Station is doing well selling more than RRP.

Happy I only have one of each. So at least I can build them myself and use them.

These trains aren't crapload if you buy them at -40% or lower. 

Pet Shop is crapload if you bought it at RRP.

There's a difference between a fast selling turd you buy at RRP and one you get at -50%

The turd I buy on the stock market tank -40% - just for info...

Guest TabbyBoy

The 10218 Pet Shop bought at RRP will yield approx. £10 profit in the UK on eBay now which ain't bad for a set that some retailers still have on shelves. There's also an unconfirmed sale on eBay for £200 today. It's doing better than I thought as I reckoned it would take a year to pass RRP.

If I bought CITY at RRP, I'd have lost thousands by now. However, I flipped some 2017 CITY sets for >RRP in November when only Tesco stocked them. Of course, prices are dropping like a stone now.

As for Star Wars... No comment!

9 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

The 10218 Pet Shop bought at RRP will yield approx. £10 profit in the UK on eBay now which ain't bad for a set that some retailers still have on shelves. There's also an unconfirmed sale on eBay for £200 today. It's doing better than I thought as I reckoned it would take a year to pass RRP.

If I bought CITY at RRP, I'd have lost thousands by now. However, I flipped some 2017 CITY sets for >RRP in November when only Tesco stocked them. Of course, prices are dropping like a stone now.

As for Star Wars... No comment!

just saying that I appreciate honest warnings on turds and so on, but dislike disdain towards strategies that made 100% after three years...

40 minutes ago, ZULU said:

just saying that I appreciate honest warnings on turds and so on, but dislike disdain towards strategies that made 100% after three years...

I think it depends on how you look at it. Your excellent buy-in saved you from a real turd. My 7938 bought at full RRP was one of my biggest mistakes as it is impossible to sell other than at a loss.

If you had bought a PS 3 years ago at 40% off, you would have got the same returns having invested less and with better continued growth prospects.

If the money had been used to buy a 70010 Chi Lion Temple at 50% off, you could have tripled your investment in little over a year, reinvested in 75055 or 75054 and doubled your money again.

32 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I think it depends on how you look at it. Your excellent buy-in saved you from a real turd. My 7938 bought at full RRP was one of my biggest mistakes as it is impossible to sell other than at a loss.

If you had bought a PS 3 years ago at 40% off, you would have got the same returns having invested less and with better continued growth prospects.

If the money had been used to buy a 70010 Chi Lion Temple at 50% off, you could have tripled your investment in little over a year, reinvested in 75055 or 75054 and doubled your money again.

agree fully. 

Just making sure we don't start scoffing at 100% in 3 years.

2 hours ago, ZULU said:

These trains aren't crapload if you buy them at -40% or lower. 

Pet Shop is crapload if you bought it at RRP.

There's a difference between a fast selling turd you buy at RRP and one you get at -50%

The turd I buy on the stock market tank -40% - just for info...

I am saying that Lego produced a crapload of sets the last years. When there is too much to choose from it will be very difficult for a set to become a winner.

Myself I like the set. But I like most lego train sets. I just think there were more trains offered on the secondary market than there are lego train fanatics.

Ofcourse you did well with the train. No one can deny that. But was it due to your buy-in or due to demand?