What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 5 years later...
On January 29, 2017 at 0:55 PM, Alpinemaps said:

Accidentally made my first sale on Amazon, lol.  Some Dimensions packs for $5 each.  Yes, they were 99 Cent Store pickups.

Accidentally, because I was just getting my feet wet looking at FBA and FBM selling, and wasn't even intending to sell LEGO in my Amazon Store.  I just threw up something in there to test things out, and didn't realize I had made it live.

How did you manage to get around the Lego Gate if you'd never sold anything Lego branded on Amazon before?!

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

How did you manage to get around the Lego Gate if you'd never sold anything Lego branded on Amazon before?!

If he listed correctly, this would have gone into the Video games category, which is not gated. It's how I managed to sell Green Arrows over Christmas :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mhd747 said:

Past few weeks I've been dumping alot of sets for minimal profit / break even to free up space and capital, I bought alot of sets when I first started because i didnt do enough research and I thought getting a set at 20-30% off was a good deal.

Some of the sets I also sold were ones which I bought way to early for minimal discount and they have not retired yet, I don't see point keeping capital tied up in sets that i can get cheaper now and will probably have another year to go. I will definitely not be buying sets now unless I know they are retiring soon, it's alot easier to miss afew deals than having to hold sets for 1-2 years as it wont retire.

Also going forward Ive decided I'm no longer investing in Exclusives/ big sets as it just isn't for me. They take up too much space / cost more / need more boxes and packing items etc. I rather buy 5 small / medium sets than 1 big / exclusive. This plan isn't for everyone, but I've found out over past few months I rather make less money but have more space / cash available etc. Exception to this are definite winners i.e. Indominus Rex / Mystery Mansion.

The reality now is that all sets are hoarded so you csnt just buy random sets and you have to limit yourself to a limited amount of "winner" sets each year and buy them only (only deviating from this when there is an insane price deal available or a random retiree / hot set appearing). 

It always seems good to buy a "bargain" set at 50-60% off, but when it comes time to sell you realise that even though you bought at very good discount, either demand isnt there or theres too much supply as other resellers bought at low proce aswell and it is a race to  the bottom selling off the set to get rid of deadwood. I've learnt the hard way, but its also a blessing in disguise as it's still early days for me and i know now what to do right going forward (or so i think i do...)

Yep, its best not to get in over your head which is hard to do when you first start because you are excited and want to make money with a toy product you love. Everyone was right about selling.......its WAY HARDER than buying. Everyone has their strategy and what works for them. Glad you found a way that works for you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mhd747 said:

Past few weeks I've been dumping alot of sets for minimal profit / break even to free up space and capital, I bought alot of sets when I first started because i didnt do enough research and I thought getting a set at 20-30% off was a good deal.

Some of the sets I also sold were ones which I bought way to early for minimal discount and they have not retired yet, I don't see point keeping capital tied up in sets that i can get cheaper now and will probably have another year to go. I will definitely not be buying sets now unless I know they are retiring soon, it's alot easier to miss afew deals than having to hold sets for 1-2 years as it wont retire.

Also going forward Ive decided I'm no longer investing in Exclusives/ big sets as it just isn't for me. They take up too much space / cost more / need more boxes and packing items etc. I rather buy 5 small / medium sets than 1 big / exclusive. This plan isn't for everyone, but I've found out over past few months I rather make less money but have more space / cash available etc. Exception to this are definite winners i.e. Indominus Rex / Mystery Mansion.

The reality now is that all sets are hoarded so you csnt just buy random sets and you have to limit yourself to a limited amount of "winner" sets each year and buy them only (only deviating from this when there is an insane price deal available or a random retiree / hot set appearing). 

It always seems good to buy a "bargain" set at 50-60% off, but when it comes time to sell you realise that even though you bought at very good discount, either demand isnt there or theres too much supply as other resellers bought at low proce aswell and it is a race to  the bottom selling off the set to get rid of deadwood. I've learnt the hard way, but its also a blessing in disguise as it's still early days for me and i know now what to do right going forward (or so i think i do...)

I'm with you mate. Pretty much my exact feelings. I've started dumping some sets for minimal profit too. Seems as if the way forward is just buying certain retiring soon sets at a good discount, or grabbing crazy offers when they appear once in a blue moon and flipping them. Seems little point in grabbing a modular or large SW set or something now at large expense and holding and hoping to make minimal gains relatively over a longer time. Even if you do, too many people will be storing them away anyway. Plus the potential stress if you want to post large sets and the hassle that can potentially bring. I've learned a lot too over the last 12 months or so. I've still made a few quid and I think I've got some winners left in reserve, but the strategy is now completely different to the one I had even 6 months ago.

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm simply not buying any more LEGO to invest until I clear the thousands of sets that I already have. The only exception is pricing errors in our favour or 75% off deals. 50% off no longer makes sense for me as there's always somebody who got it even cheaper and is happy to sell for 50% off to make a quid. There are gems out there but, it's virtually impossible to pick them these days. I wouldn't recommend LEGO investing to anybody now, it's minimum wage and stress at best!

Edited by TabbyBoy

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

There are gems out there but, it's virtually impossible to pick them these days.

Such a drama queen, it's not that hard. Wasn't rocket science at the end of last year to invest in Jurrasic World, Scooby, Wall-E, Trevi Fountain for example.

Hope I didn't offend you by calling you a drama queen, I'd call you a smartarse, but I know how offensive that can be :thumbsu:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm simply not buying any more LEGO to invest until I clear the thousands of sets that I already have. The only exception is pricing errors in our favour or 75% off deals. 50% off no longer makes sense for me as there's always somebody who got it even cheaper and is happy to sell for 50% off to make a quid. There are gems out there but, it's virtually impossible to pick them these days. I wouldn't recommend LEGO investing to anybody now, it's minimum wage and stress at best!

You make some solid points @TabbyBoy, but I thought you told us all a couple months ago that you had liquidated your entire LEGO holdings except for a few sets? I seem to recall you saying you were completely out of the LEGO game. 

How do you now still have "thousands of sets to clear" ?

• Like 7

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Deadfraggle said:

You make some solid points @TabbyBoy, but I thought you told us all a couple months ago that you had liquidated your entire LEGO holdings except for a few sets? I seem to recall you saying you were completely out of the LEGO game. 

How do you now still have "thousands of sets to clear" ?

Yes, I got rid of all the "crap" but, I still have a vast inventory of more desirabele sets like WALL-E, Doctor Who, Ecto1 & Architecture for example. They will all go as soon as the time is right and, as I said, I aim to get back down to nothing before even condering starting again which I doubt. I'm certainly not buying again unless there's mis-pricing at >75% off or a truly exclusive set like LE Crawler or Mars Rover and, if buying limits are low, I'll probably not bother. I didn't buy any set during LEGO's recent 50% off sale.

Am I out of the game? 99% yes!