Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

Incredibly perplexed by the pass on the lego GB firehouse on kickstarter.

Just wondering if anyone knew why they would make such a boner.

And what other mistakes do you think they have made, or will make?

I'm assuming you're talking about the Ghostbusters HQ on Ideas? There was less than zero percent chance a set that size, from that theme would be given a green light by LEGO. It's up there with the X-Mansion and Wayne Manor as cool, inspiring ideas but were never going to fit within the boundaries they've set for Ideas sets.
  • Like 1

Saw a craigslist post for a Black Pearl and decided to check the going prices on eBay. I sold my sealed Black Pearl, Queen Anne, and Imperial Flagship sets a little while back and made some good money but DAMN!! The prices have shot up quite a bit since then. Yeah, I'm complaining but not really that much since I did make money on them and reinvested in other good stuff.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Ghostbusters HQ on Ideas? There was less than zero percent chance a set that size, from that theme would be given a green light by LEGO. It's up there with the X-Mansion and Wayne Manor as cool, inspiring ideas but were never going to fit within the boundaries they've set for Ideas sets.

What boundaries? Is there a link or something? I need to know, for I am working on LDD making a moc up, need to know the limitations....Doesn't make sense to me that lego would have limitations on their sets...there are some MASSIVE sets....

What boundaries? Is there a link or something? I need to know, for I am working on LDD making a moc up, need to know the limitations....Doesn't make sense to me that lego would have limitations on their sets...there are some MASSIVE sets....

Some of the limitations are just common sense. Don't build a 10,000 piece model and expect Lego to approve it for production. That is just insane. Try to limit the number of pieces in your model to below 750 pieces.

That's so disappointing.

HUGE missed opportunities.

For collector, consumer and LEGO alike.

Lego is the most powerful toy brand in the world... They employ people specifically to design sets. The Cuusoo/Ideas was a way for them to engage the community and it's been pretty successful regardless of the sizing of the models produced. Lego is also out to make money. We might think some of those big sets are cool but Lego knows that just because 10k people voted for the firehouse for example, it's highly unlikely that more that a certain percentage would fork over that much cash... Way less risk and way more people will buy the small sets.
  • Like 5

I ordered and received Sydney opera house from Walmart.   It came with a shipping sticker slapped on it and the box was beat up really badly.  Do any walmarts stock these?  Why would they ship it like that?  2 of 3 seals are broken too.

no they do not stock these at walmart stores.  They do sometimes ship large sets like that with a label slapped on.  Most try to buy in case packs when buying the larger sets to try and get them shipped in a box.

Some members refuse to buy large sets from walmart for this reason.

Edited by ravenb99
edit
  • Like 5

Well. we'll never know for sure now...

Minecraft over this...

But the Cuusoo Minecraft set sold really well. Well enough that they made a theme. Maybe there was an engineering problem with the firehouse. Maybe on a wide range, a big box shaped structure wouldn't appeal to the mass market. Maybe every person who voted yes on the firehouse selected an unrealistic value that they placed on the set. Maybe the Ecto 1 is not selling as well as they would need it to in order to think about releasing a bigger set. We never will know for sure what factors weighted the decision not to make certain sets. It seems like there is some risk mitigation occurring.

Well. we'll never know for sure now...

Minecraft over this...

But Minecraft and the Ecto-1 are perfect little sets to reach broad audiences... Themes that will appeal to AFOLS, teens, kids... Prices that can also fit budgets by pParents, grandparents.

The reality is that these giant sets aren't sure fire winners (though I would bet they do just fine) and LEGO already has their own product development pipeline way out in front of what we see. Small sets would be far less disruptive to that process... And far easier to get to market quickly before interest in a Cuusoo/Ideas set wanes.

• Like 2

It just seems like they have no reason to limit the number of pieces in any cusso/ idea... And as an AFOL, I would really look forward to s REAL challenge from a large lego set..

What it feels like, to me, is that the company is only pushing for mass sales, and is completely passing/MISSING out on a great opportunity to make some TRULY incredible sets for AFOLs, losing MAJOR money in the process...and as for "losing" money on sets they don't sell...the pieces are interchangeable. They could just take pieces that don't sell and re purpose them towards other sets.

Is "Ideas" only ever going to be small sets, small ideas forever? That weeds out so many good possibilities..

I'm not saying they aren't in it for the money, they totally are, but come ON, The DS isn't going to flood ANYTHING, and neither would the firehouse..but the DS get's made....And I agree... Star Wars > Ghostbusters in "Popularity" but FFS......"Friends?" "ELVES?!" Before ghostbusters? a whole LINE of BS, before something that is SO much better? nopenopenopenopenopenope

It is not JUST sales.  Each IDEAS set they put to production needs to go through inspections by a LEGO designer to make sure each connection is within LEGO guidelines.  This is the main reason the Exo Suit looks different than what was originally submitted.  It will be a logistical challenge to do the same inspection on a set with 2000 pieces and thousands of connections.  They would probably need several designer whose time need to be diverted from other projects.  Then they have to manage the timeline for other projects.  That is best case scenario.  If 20% of the connections are not up to standard, they would have to spend more time tweaking the design.  The bigger the pieces, the more complex the design and the more time and brain power needed to make sure it is up to par.

It just seems like they have no reason to limit the number of pieces in any cusso/ idea... And as an AFOL, I would really look forward to s REAL challenge from a large lego set..

What it feels like, to me, is that the company is only pushing for mass sales, and is completely passing/MISSING out on a great opportunity to make some TRULY incredible sets for AFOLs, losing MAJOR money in the process...and as for "losing" money on sets they don't sell...the pieces are interchangeable. They could just take pieces that don't sell and re purpose them towards other sets.

Is "Ideas" only ever going to be small sets, small ideas forever? That weeds out so many good possibilities..

I'm not saying they aren't in it for the money, they totally are, but come ON, The DS isn't going to flood ANYTHING, and neither would the firehouse..but the DS get's made....And I agree... Star Wars > Ghostbusters in "Popularity" but FFS......"Friends?" "ELVES?!" Before ghostbusters? a whole LINE of BS, before something that is SO much better? nopenopenopenopenopenope

Yes, it's disgraceful that a toy company for children would decide to build sets that might entice 50% of the child population to buy their product, rather than making that one set for you. Whatever could they be thinking.

• Like 1

Oh. I'm sorry. Is this not the complaint thread?

Maybe he's complaining that you're complaining? ;)

Jokes aside, you're not alone in wishing LEGO would product a giant IDEAS set rather than the little piddle stuff they've been pumping out, but not many around these parts believe it will ever happen for many reasons... my #1 being that they're going to limit how much exposure non-LEGO designers get and limit how much royalties get paid out by only producing smallish sets.

• Like 1

Greg- awesome, fair/balanced perspective on the realities of TLG's approach to the Ideas line. As much as we'd all love the larger, sexier sets to happen there are enormous realities that TLG has to assess in manufacturing and marketing these sets.

In the meantime, I'm just grateful they gave fans a voice and avenue to potentially have their sets mass-produced. Very cool of TLG to do this at all.

Cory-  great point on hoping Ideas sets get larger and more challenging. If you want a very legitimate Lego "challenge"... you may give the Technic Volvo L350F a look. It is an absolute beast to assemble and as difficult a build as our household has ever attempted.

• Like 1

I think it's BS when ebay gives me a 10% off coupon yet makes it almost impossible to find it and it isn't shown clearly.  I accidently found out I had one when I hovered my mouse cursor over "My ebay" and then the drop down menu showed and the coupon was all the way at the bottom.  When you are on certain pages on My ebay and you do that it doesn't show up all the time and changes to "ebay bucks" and then when it does show up it actually kinda blends into the page you are on and you don't see it......it doesn't stand out.  Nowhere else was it clear that I had a coupon that I could use.  I spent $200 and then I saw that I had the coupon.  I was pissed and called ebay but of course there was nothing they could do about it because I already paid.  It's like they are all "hey, here's a coupon but we hope you don't use it"..........

I think it's BS when ebay gives me a 10% off coupon yet makes it almost impossible to find it and it isn't shown clearly.  I accidently found out I had one when I hovered my mouse cursor over "My ebay" and then the drop down menu showed and the coupon was all the way at the bottom.  When you are on certain pages on My ebay and you do that it doesn't show up all the time and changes to "ebay bucks" and then when it does show up it actually kinda blends into the page you are on and you don't see it......it doesn't stand out.  Nowhere else was it clear that I had a coupon that I could use.  I spent $200 and then I saw that I had the coupon.  I was pissed and called ebay but of course there was nothing they could do about it because I already paid.  It's like they are all "hey, here's a coupon but we hope you don't use it"..........

sounds more like same browser is used to login to multiple ebay account hence cookie corruption hence can't see the promotion.

clear your cache/cookies and/or (if you are not comfortable) use different browser i.e. safari/chrome/mozilla other than used before. login to the ebay account where the 10% promotion was seen. it should be available there.

sounds more like same browser is used to login to multiple ebay account hence cookie corruption hence can't see the promotion.

clear your cache/cookies and/or (if you are not comfortable) use different browser i.e. safari/chrome/mozilla other than used before. login to the ebay account where the 10% promotion was seen. it should be available there.

Thanks for the advice!

I think it's BS that you guys get coupons and eBay bucks for using eBay the same way the rest of us do! :)

I think it's BS that you guys get coupons and eBay bucks for using eBay the same way the rest of us do! :)

Somebody's gotta do something to make us feel better about all the Target clearances you guys got & the TRU retired product you get offered...:)

Edited by dcdfan

Just sign up for ebay bucks.  Search for it and you'll find it.

eBay Canada offered the bucks for about 3 or 4 months back in 2013 and then cancelled it. The only country that gets eBay promotions is the US.

Somebody's gotta do something to make us feel better about all the Target clearances you guys got & the TRU retired product you get offered...:)

The Target clearances weren't as hot as everyone thinks (much of the good LEGO product was moved out of the store prior to or was snapped up by stupid clearance shoppers at 10% off) and it was a one shot deal. You guys get rounds and rounds of clearances with Walmart and Target and FM and TRU credit card award programs and SYW points and etc. None of that exists up north...

So yeah, we get Air Miles cash (which is OK but not great) and the chance to scoop up a few retired products that may linger a little longer at TRU Canada at prices above MSRP and a higher tax rate. Sounds like a fair trade to me... :victory:

<and just so it's not mistaken, I am just following up your sarcasm with my own :)>

• Like 1