Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

Anyone else presuming that the increasing popularity of Lego as an investment will bite investors in the @ss a couple years from now?  Back in the 70's, my dad would buy me a pack of Star Wars cards on each Friday pay day.  He cautioned me to take care of them: "They'll be worth something some day."

I chewed the gum and stored the cards.  They remained stored for decades except for the few times when I would 'rediscover' them after going through a stuff-reduction project.

And now, after considering selling them, I've seen eBay and Craigslist AWASH in Star Wars cards of all conditions, in complete sets.  Apparently many boys (and girls) who grew up in the 70's decided now was the time to try to cash in on the supposed collector value, thereby saturating the market and keeping the value of the cards around the same value as my Dad paid for them in 1977.

Is it possible that a large group of Lego collectors is buying up the majority of the Lego merchandise deemed collector-worthy and, by way of sitting on the product, pushing the current value of those sets to a couple of years into the future (perhaps with an adjustment for inflation)?  What I mean is, with so many collectors dumping their product after a supposed period of investment growth, will the wide availability cause the value of that set to plummet?

It's a different Lego investment environment today than it was during 2007 with the retail sale of the Ultimate Collector's Millenium Falcon.  More and more people, having witnessed the phenomenal valuation surge on that kit, have jumped on the bandwagon, hoping for the same effect as they continue to acquire new sets.

I'm pissing on readers' cornflakes here and am not in the least expecting this information to be persuasive.  I am hoping it is not prescient.  

• Like 1

Anyone else presuming that the increasing popularity of Lego as an investment will bite investors in the @ss a couple years from now?  Back in the 70's, my dad would buy me a pack of Star Wars cards on each Friday pay day.  He cautioned me to take care of them: "They'll be worth something some day."

I chewed the gum and stored the cards.  They remained stored for decades except for the few times when I would 'rediscover' them after going through a stuff-reduction project.

And now, after considering selling them, I've seen eBay and Craigslist AWASH in Star Wars cards of all conditions, in complete sets.  Apparently many boys (and girls) who grew up in the 70's decided now was the time to try to cash in on the supposed collector value, thereby saturating the market and keeping the value of the cards around the same value as my Dad paid for them in 1977.

Is it possible that a large group of Lego collectors is buying up the majority of the Lego merchandise deemed collector-worthy and, by way of sitting on the product, pushing the current value of those sets to a couple of years into the future (perhaps with an adjustment for inflation)?  What I mean is, with so many collectors dumping their product after a supposed period of investment growth, will the wide availability cause the value of that set to plummet?

It's a different Lego investment environment today than it was during 2007 with the retail sale of the Ultimate Collector's Millenium Falcon.  More and more people, having witnessed the phenomenal valuation surge on that kit, have jumped on the bandwagon, hoping for the same effect as they continue to acquire new sets.

I'm pissing on readers' cornflakes here and am not in the least expecting this information to be persuasive.  I am hoping it is not prescient.  

Hi nice to meet you.

I have been buying up mint sets of marvel comics star wars comics and topps star wars baseball cards.

Yep.

Interesting. Welcome - hope you didn't join just for that. Think this belongs in the bubble thread.
  • Like 2

Rant:  I went to a Target on Saturday and found a couple Knowhere Escapes on clearance.  I got in line and used my credit card (instead of Red Card) to buy them because my kids dropped my RedCard in a difficult to extract location in my van.  After I finished paying the cashier moves on to the next customer and I ask for my receipt.  He looks confused and I again ask for my receipt  - he says "I'm pretty sure I gave it to you".  I think he's pretty cocky for saying such a thing considering he's 1/2 my age but maybe he was having a bad day (I worked a little retail myself before).  I patiently wait on the side for him to finish with that customer behind me.  He flips the flashing light, gets impatient that a manager hasn't come after 20 seconds and says he's going to go on to the next customer and I ask him to kindly reprint the receipt. Lower manager comes over and asks if I really need the receipt to which I reply "Uh, yes, I would like it."  Lower manager grumbles "fine" and drags me over to security.  Security is asked to reprint the receipt.  Security is gone for 10 minutes and higher manager asks why I'm waiting.  I told him I'm asking for a receipt and he assures me it will only be a couple more minutes.  10 more minutes and I walk over to the return counter and ask if I can just do a return and rebuy to I can get my receipt.  Higher manager asks for my receipt to which I give a look of "SRSLY?" Higher manager says security can't find the transaction so it probably didn't go through because it was my checker's first day on the job (lucky me). Manager says he'll ring me up again and to call the Target support line if I get double charged (he scribbles a number down on a sheet of paper).  I ask for his business card and he says he doesn't have one.  I get in the van and apologize to my wife who has been sitting in a hot car for almost an hour.  I get home and confirm that my card was double charged.  I call the Target number scribbled down and it's a disconnected Target #.  I call the manager back and give him an earful and say I want the issue resolved.  He takes my phone number and promises a resolution and states he will call back.  He never called.  I have tried calling him back 3 times but the operator says he's busy or he's no in.  I have filed a chargeback and have to wait on this nonsense.

I just lost a little faith in the survival of our human race.

• Like 2

Rant:  I went to a Target on Saturday and found a couple Knowhere Escapes on clearance.  I got in line and used my credit card (instead of Red Card) to buy them because my kids dropped my RedCard in a difficult to extract location in my van.  After I finished paying the cashier moves on to the next customer and I ask for my receipt.  He looks confused and I again ask for my receipt  - he says "I'm pretty sure I gave it to you".  I think he's pretty cocky for saying such a thing considering he's 1/2 my age but maybe he was having a bad day (I worked a little retail myself before).  I patiently wait on the side for him to finish with that customer behind me.  He flips the flashing light, gets impatient that a manager hasn't come after 20 seconds and says he's going to go on to the next customer and I ask him to kindly reprint the receipt. Lower manager comes over and asks if I really need the receipt to which I reply "Uh, yes, I would like it."  Lower manager grumbles "fine" and drags me over to security.  Security is asked to reprint the receipt.  Security is gone for 10 minutes and higher manager asks why I'm waiting.  I told him I'm asking for a receipt and he assures me it will only be a couple more minutes.  10 more minutes and I walk over to the return counter and ask if I can just do a return and rebuy to I can get my receipt.  Higher manager asks for my receipt to which I give a look of "SRSLY?" Higher manager says security can't find the transaction so it probably didn't go through because it was my checker's first day on the job (lucky me). Manager says he'll ring me up again and to call the Target support line if I get double charged (he scribbles a number down on a sheet of paper).  I ask for his business card and he says he doesn't have one.  I get in the van and apologize to my wife who has been sitting in a hot car for almost an hour.  I get home and confirm that my card was double charged.  I call the Target number scribbled down and it's a disconnected Target #.  I call the manager back and give him an earful and say I want the issue resolved.  He takes my phone number and promises a resolution and states he will call back.  He never called.  I have tried calling him back 3 times but the operator says he's busy or he's no in.  I have filed a chargeback and have to wait on this nonsense.

I just lost a little faith in the survival of our human race.

Ugh, that story gives me a headache.  Sorry about the trouble.

I just waited for 40 minutes to sell a set for $7 via CL.  Dude never showed up.  Would have made double what I paid.  Freakin flaky people man......

...and this might be why I've never sold/bought anything on CL.

Ugh, that story gives me a headache.  Sorry about the trouble.

...and this might be why I've never sold/bought anything on CL.

Now the dude says he'll meet me in one hour.  I told him to shove off.....in a more polite way of course.

This is the first time I've been stood up via a CL sale.  I've had a good run of positive experiences and sales.  Oh well.

Now the dude says he'll meet me in one hour.  I told him to shove off.....in a more polite way of course.

This is the first time I've been stood up via a CL sale.  I've had a good run of positive experiences and sales.  Oh well.

I know this is the complaint thread, but legodelorean I thought I should respond with a positive...

I've had that happen to me before on CL...an individual kept changing times and then ran late. I decided to chance it and stick around and accommodate...come to find out, he was from out of state and was visiting friends/family and the family things kept getting in the way. He eventually showed up and loved Lego and we had a long chat in the McDonalds parking lot. Now we keep in contact every so often about sales and other items to look out for. He keeps an eye out for stuff I want in his local stores, (that I may not be able to find or get) and I do the same.  

Moral of the story...stay positive, sometimes good stuff comes out of frustration, even on CL.

(Not that you needed the pep talk...haha...just sharing my experience).

Edited by Kevink24
  • Like 3

I hate putting on stickers on sets. I can never get them right the first time.

Try putting the object down on a flat even surface like a tabletop where the sticker is supposed to be affixed.

Secondly, lift the sticker by a small corner on your index finger and place the palm of your hand securely on the tabletop so that your hand and the index finger holding the sticker is stationary.

Approach the index finger to the intended object slowly like a jet liner approaching the terminal.

This reminds me of the immense stickering I would have to do with the Maersk container vessel.  Good luck.  No one is perfect.

Try putting the object down on a flat even surface like a tabletop where the sticker is supposed to be affixed.

Secondly, lift the sticker by a small corner on your index finger and place the palm of your hand securely on the tabletop so that your hand and the index finger holding the sticker is stationary.

Approach the index finger to the intended object slowly like a jet liner approaching the terminal.

This reminds me of the immense stickering I would have to do with the Maersk container vessel.  Good luck.  No one is perfect.

Tried that, no luck. I guess I just suck at it. =)