Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

3 minutes ago, bigfanofnu said:

First world problem. Kind of a complaint, wrapped up in a question. There are several sets on SAH that I have set e-mail alerts to notify me when they come back in stock. My complaint/question is, do member posts on this site stating items are again available hurt my chances of logging on and purchasing these items, or do the posts have any effect on the outcome? I feel they do and I get so ticked that I usually miss out on items again.

I would say big fat YES to that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigfanofnu said:

First world problem. Kind of a complaint, wrapped up in a question. There are several sets on SAH that I have set e-mail alerts to notify me when they come back in stock. My complaint/question is, do member posts on this site stating items are again available hurt my chances of logging on and purchasing these items, or do the posts have any effect on the outcome? I feel they do and I get so ticked that I usually miss out on items again.

1) When you get the LEGO notification email, it is usually already too late. Those notifications do not go out immediately. You'll lose out to someone with a scraper 100% of the time.

2) My rule here has always been: Feast first, share later. In other words: First make sure your order is in, then share. So if you see a member share, you can be certain it has already been on other people's radars too.

• Like 2

Someone got into one of the cars parked outside last night and throughly trashed the inside. They didn't take anything that I can see, but now it's time for some security cameras.  I'm researching wireless options link Blink and Ring and some wired options like Swann. What are your recommendations?

Man, that just sucks.

Personally, I like Eufy out of all of them. No subscription fee.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Twain said:

Someone got into one of the cars parked outside last night and throughly trashed the inside. They didn't take anything that I can see, but now it's time for some security cameras.  I'm researching wireless options link Blink and Ring and some wired options like Swann. What are your recommendations?

Arlo doesn't require a subscription up to five cameras.  We use it, but now I have seven cameras and the subscription, but also have online storage. I used to archive locally to a 1gb thumb drive before.  It's been a good one for us.  The cameras are all wireless and the base station requires a direct Cat6 connection to your Wi-Fi router.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Twain said:

I am using the ring ecosystem.  I think it's great on a few different levels.  The subscription is relatively inexpensive for the value you get with it (warranty and discount in the store).  I believe Ring will be around for a long time, which is very important for me.  Their products can be wired in many instances along with PoE capabilities on some.  Integrates with Ring Alarm system.  Cooperates with most Smart home products.  If I were doing it all again I'd stick with Ring 100%.

• Like 1

One problem with Ring is if they are wireless very easy to jam and spray with compressed air and pretty much useless.   Someone stole a car recently from my neighbors warehouse and I have cameras on both our units and  they jammed the wifi signal and sprayed them as backup.  Wired would be best for backup.  If you ran through the ring alarm in theory you should get a notification that wifi went out but my alarm is hardwired and was just using ring cameras.  Only downfall I can see.  

Freezes the lens and makes them all look like cracked glass until they thaw out the next morning.

air.png

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

One problem with Ring is if they are wireless very easy to jam and spray with compressed air and pretty much useless.   Someone stole a car recently from my neighbors warehouse and I have cameras on both our units and  they jammed the wifi signal and sprayed them as backup.  Wired would be best for backup.  If you ran through the ring alarm in theory you should get a notification that wifi went out but my alarm is hardwired and was just using ring cameras.  Only downfall I can see.  

Freezes the lens and makes them all look like cracked glass until they thaw out the next morning.

Have you researched any camera systems using cellular as the primary wireless service? I'm not sure if those can be jammed in the same manner?

31 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

air.png

Swann from Costco it is. Now who among you will volunteer to climb in my attic and run the wires for me? 

We had Arlo prior to Eufy, and did like it. But I liked that everything is stored locally with Eufy. I don’t need to archive anything unless I know something happened.

Since we bought a new house, we were given a free trail offer with Vivint. It was a cellular based system, so no concerns about WiFi issues.

• Like 2

Using the FedEx website for shipping cost.  Weighed a City Hospital set ready to be shipped, entered the weight and dimensions, invoiced the order on BrickLink, got paid and shipped the package, only to find it was $5.10 less than the website information.  Refunded the customer the difference.

USPS website seems so much more accurate. 

On the plus side, I sold my last City Hospital set!

Using the FedEx website for shipping cost.  Weighed a City Hospital set ready to be shipped, entered the weight and dimensions, invoiced the order on BrickLink, got paid and shipped the package, only to find it was $5.10 less than the website information.  Refunded the customer the difference.
USPS website seems so much more accurate. 
On the plus side, I sold my last City Hospital set!
Yeah, I hate FedEx up charges on shipping. I have found that if I always round up to the next highest inch on each box dimension I normally don't get hit with extra charges... normally...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have issues with FedEx delivery to my neighborhood as well. Every FedEx package that heys delivered to me I get a text message saying that it has been delivered about 15 minutes before it is actually delivered to my house. The first few times this happened I wandered my neighborhood looking at my neighbors porches to see if my package was delivered to the wrong address. I think that the delivery driver scans all packages to be delivered to my neighborhood as soon as he enters it to save time so all he has to do is throw the packages on the doorstep. It has always made me wonder though if I ever had to dispute a package being delivered to me if their GPS scan would show it as being delivered to somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

t has always made me wonder though if I ever had to dispute a package being delivered to me if their GPS scan would show it as being delivered to somewhere else.

I have had missed packages, and yes, they did have satellite images.

Whether this is always the case, I can't say.

21 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Switch to Hulu on 12/21 you get Disney + and ESPN + “included”?

Thanks. That's probably what I'll do. I picked YTTV initially because it offered MLB Network.

It's funny how "cutting the cord" has resulted in basically the same thing that people were trying to get away from.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

Thanks. That's probably what I'll do. I picked YTTV initially because it offered MLB Network.

It's funny how "cutting the cord" has resulted in basically the same thing that people were trying to get away from.

For us, cutting the cord also means not paying for streaming services.  The only 1 we have is Amazon but only because it comes with Prime.  Should we stop needing Prime, that would be gone as well.

I guess this is easier for me since I do not give an F about sports :P

• Haha 1