10233 - Horizon Express

fxdl96

I guessed that 3 of these might be greater than 2 Red 5 at Christmas 2016 and they still might (225 trains vs 325 Red-5) but the indicated problem has less to do with the Horizon Express, a brilliantly designed train, and more about the train market in general.  I spot checked 12-15 trains or accessory sets and could not see growth in ANY of them in the last year and that's a bigger problem for the train investors. 

46 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Seeing as the last post in this thread was 11 months ago, you probably have your answer right there. It´s been on the sleepers since then and word is TLG are not planning on making excluive trains short term as they sell badly.

This might work in HE´s favour as train lovers will get it if there is nothing else but there are still a gut of these out there not moving (same as AA) so it is a long term hoard.

HE's sell, and at a profit, but again - what are people expecting? It all comes back to the same thing... 1 year is not sufficient time for sets to appreciate in value in today's market. With a set like this and with LEGO releasing some really nice trains since HE retired, you're looking at the 3-5 year range for this set to truly show proper gains.

• Like 2

While this set is no Emerald Night or Santa Fe, it still has plenty of solid growth left especially since no direct replacement has been made in about 1 year.

There's a legit chance HE will catch up to the last Maersk Train. People seem to be loving the orange bricks plus supply vs demand has a nice ratio.

33 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

While this set is no Emerald Night or Santa Fe, it still has plenty of solid growth left especially since no direct replacement has been made in about 1 year.

There's a legit chance HE will catch up to the last Maersk Train. People seem to be loving the orange bricks plus supply vs demand has a nice ratio.

I am a little disappointed with the Maersk trains even though I shouldn't be since all mine were at a sub 80.00 buy in. I guess I feel that this one retired before the investor boom so it should be rising at a faster pace.

8 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

I am a little disappointed with the Maersk trains even though I shouldn't be since all mine were at a sub 80.00 buy in. I guess I feel that this one retired before the investor boom so it should be rising at a faster pace.

I hear ha about that train and feel the same way about Diagon Alley.  

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one used recently for $130, just because I wanted one. I think the color scheme of this train hurt it a bit. Being an Oregon State alum, I think it's the best color ever. But I do think it hinders the sets popularity. I love the windows on the cars, and love how long it is. I want another set and put them back to back.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Just now, thegooch49 said:

Wow, it has kinda tanked in the US as well. Odd! I actually want one at these prices. I'll be posting in "what did you buy today" soon, then over to "what did you build today".

You don't want one .... you want two. Great train, just needs 2 to make a real one.

3 minutes ago, feed said:

Last couple sold in UK for £150, these retailed at £80 before VIP and poly, been gone 18 months or so?  Not sure what I'm missing? Were people expecting more?

Dropped from $220 out the gate to $170'ish here.  Low ballers, going lower and lower.

I sold my fair share, but I held my price point.

2 minutes ago, feed said:

I see. $170 does seem low.  

Heavily discounted? I don’t see much return at $170 from retail. 

http://www.amazon.com/LegoTM-Horizon-Express-Train-10233/dp/B00AAI4W4M - $159.99. I bought mine in Nov 2014 for $129.99 (which was MSRP). So no profit whatsoever when compared with MSRP .... So if you missed the boat on this train, now seems like a great moment to buy for the personal collection.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 2