Star Wars 2014

Noodlenut

An image of the new 75058 MTT has surfaced!

This is the set that contains the minifigures found in one of the 2014 instruction booklets.  My guess is that it will retail at $80 USD.  I think that the old MTT was better, though.

I don't like this version of the MTT at all. From this picture, it looks like that there will be far fewer battle droids in the set. I liked one of the older versions that had 20 battle droids.

I don't like this one either.  The main body of the MTT looks ok, but the droid hangar part in the front is completely wrong.  The 7662 did it so well, I don't know why Lego would decide to take a huge step backward on this version.  Minifigs are all wrong too, should include way more battle droids, and there should be a couple of gungans instead of the Jedi and Panaka.

I don't like this one either.  The main body of the MTT looks ok, but the droid hangar part in the front is completely wrong.  The 7662 did it so well, I don't know why Lego would decide to take a huge step backward on this version.  Minifigs are all wrong too, should include way more battle droids, and there should be a couple of gungans instead of the Jedi and Panaka.

It seems like Lego put more effort into certain while in other sets, it doesn't seem like any research or effort was put into it at all.

It's not an issue of research. They've been doing Star Wars sets for 15 years, they likely know the movies as well as George Lucas. It's about what sells. This set is more attractive with some name characters like Qui-Gon and Obi-wan than with more gneric army building characters, especially Gungans. We have seen Qui-Gon and Obi-wan on screen with an MTT at least, if not in battle. Qui-Gon pulls Jar jar to the ground as one passes over their heads at the start of Episode I and Obi-wan is there as well. Later they enter Theed right as the battle scene is underway, so there are some tangental links at least. It's not like they plunked Jango Fett in it the way they did with the Tank Droid set. They were never even in the same movie. 

I think this set is horrendous. Why are you using BROWN rods for the front laser turrets, and if my eyes are working why would you put ANOTHER square studded plate on top of the front disc face? Unless there's a hidden "x2" or something like that we can't see, there's BARELY enough Battle Droids to fill the droid hangar, much less the pilots seat or the STAP. If it's anything like the last set, there might be another mini vehicle in the trunk space, but it's not like there are enough droids to pilot another thing. Even though I like that a STAP was included, always a big fan of those for playability, it's still designed TERRIBLY wrong.

I know with another big army troop carrier, the AT-OT/Gunship combo, that will never be rereleased because LEGO is definitely moving away from putting so many minifigures in a single set. But the entire draw of the MTT is the droid army, being able to deploy all these droids, and this rerelease just kills that. I saw a speculation (before this image was leaked) that the set might have been a new AAT, which makes a lot more sense because of the number of droids and which characters are included ('cept the PK droid), but a MTT without droids is literally like a Humvee without troops.

I'd swap that dumb worker droid for more battle droids any day, that has to be one of the weirdest inclusions of an incredibly obscure droid ever. I know with the Republic Gunship, I'm sad I got the Clone Wars cartoon version and I much prefer the PT rerelease that's currently out, but for the MTT I'm really glad I got the second version compared to this tiny clunky piece of poodoo.

It's not an issue of research. They've been doing Star Wars sets for 15 years, they likely know the movies as well as George Lucas. It's about what sells. This set is more attractive with some name characters like Qui-Gon and Obi-wan than with more generic army building characters, especially Gungans. 

I understand why they'd want to put Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, but Panaka and the PK droid are completely out of place. Those two belong in a Naboo Cruiser or ******-1 Starfighter set more than this MTT, and I feel like they were just tossed into the box so that a "New!" minifigure sticker could "attract" more buyers. At least swap these two out for a few more battle droids.

I think this set is horrendous. Why are you using BROWN rods for the front laser turrets, and if my eyes are working why would you put ANOTHER square studded plate on top of the front disc face? Unless there's a hidden "x2" or something like that we can't see, there's BARELY enough Battle Droids to fill the droid hangar, much less the pilots seat or the STAP. If it's anything like the last set, there might be another mini vehicle in the trunk space, but it's not like there are enough droids to pilot another thing. Even though I like that a STAP was included, always a big fan of those for playability, it's still designed TERRIBLY wrong.

I know with another big army troop carrier, the AT-OT/Gunship combo, that will never be rereleased because LEGO is definitely moving away from putting so many minifigures in a single set. But the entire draw of the MTT is the droid army, being able to deploy all these droids, and this rerelease just kills that. I saw a speculation (before this image was leaked) that the set might have been a new AAT, which makes a lot more sense because of the number of droids and which characters are included ('cept the PK droid), but a MTT without droids is literally like a Humvee without troops.

I'd swap that dumb worker droid for more battle droids any day, that has to be one of the weirdest inclusions of an incredibly obscure droid ever. I know with the Republic Gunship, I'm sad I got the Clone Wars cartoon version and I much prefer the PT rerelease that's currently out, but for the MTT I'm really glad I got the second version compared to this tiny clunky piece of poodoo.

I understand why they'd want to put Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, but Panaka and the PK droid are completely out of place. Those two belong in a Naboo Cruiser or ******-1 Starfighter set more than this MTT, and I feel like they were just tossed into the box so that a "New!" minifigure sticker could "attract" more buyers. At least swap these two out for a few more battle droids.

Well as he said it is just done to attract more buyers, and guess what? It works. I want this set for the vehicle AND the figures, which would normally just be the vehicle if these figures weren't in it.

Also.... I just don't get why we're complaining about getting more figures, most of the people on this site have very high eBay ratings, they can flip the figures they don't want within a week. Free cash in my mind, but whatever.

At least it's not Panaka. It is a Naboo Royal Security Guard, and I am sure this will be the only set he will be released in. If this is all you constant complainers have to moan about this time I would say the next wave is looking good.

At least it's not Panaka. It is a Naboo Royal Security Guard, and I am sure this will be the only set he will be released in. If this is all you constant complainers have to moan about this time I would say the next wave is looking good.

I personally hate it. Compared to the previous version, it is just terrible. It's not so much the lack of figs, the thing just looks wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

To add, I do not like it, either. It looks very '1999' to me, aside from the minifigs (droids don't count)

I've built 7662 several times. I keep finding it used at good prices, so I resell them after.

Looks great, has a bunch of figs and the best Droideka IMO

At one point I was trying to score one for under $100 shipped.  Never found one for that price on Ebay. Might have to start looking again.

At one point I was trying to score one for under $100 shipped. Never found one for that price on Ebay. Might have to start looking again.

Most of the ones I've bought were in the $75-$110 range. The issue is that's basically how I make my money, by looking for good ebay deals constantly, so I'm not surprised you have not found one yet. They go pretty fast at that price

Here is a quick comparison for all three of the minifigure scale MTT's released over the years including this new redesign.

Year: 2000 Number: 7184 Name: Trade Federation MTT Pieces: 466 Minifigures: 7 Retail: $49.99

7184_main.jpg

Year: 2007 Number: 7662 Name: Trade Federation MTT Pieces: 1330 Minifigures: 20 Retail: $99.99

7662-1.jpg

Year: 2014 Number: 75058 Name: MTT Pieces: ? Minifigures: 14(?) Retail: $79.99(?)

75058-1.jpg

• Like 1

An image of the new 75058 MTT has surfaced!

This is the set that contains the minifigures found in one of the 2014 instruction booklets.  My guess is that it will retail at $80 USD.  I think that the old MTT was better, though.

I call BS on this. This is someone's photoshop creation of what they assume the set will be.

I call BS on this. This is someone's photoshop creation of what they assume the set will be.

Not to mention both Qui Gon and Obi Wan have new printing and should (and most certainly will) have 'new' displayed next to their figure as well.

This is not photoshoped.  If it was, it would be the first time I saw someone go to that much work just to fool everybody.  Also, as further evidence, a picture was taken of a 2014 Star Wars instruction booklet that included minifigures from this set.

13953871687_d581cf6796_z.jpg

Not to mention both Qui Gon and Obi Wan have new printing and should (and most certainly will) have 'new' displayed next to their figure as well.

It is possible that they have stopped doing this in 2014 just for different printing.  Qui Gon and Obi Wan are rather old minifigures, and these are just remakes

With the MTT as an example, LEGO appears to be moving towards smaller, more affordable sets.  This is bad for the series collector and fan, but better for kids.  I don't really have a problem with them doing this, because exact copies of previous sets aren't much fun, and the 2007 was as close to perfect as they'll get.

The MTT does look suspicious for not having a piece count though.