Friends 2014

wholovesboo

Ok, I will...

Is there toilet in millenium falcon 10179 or death star 10188, or it is more of a girl thing?

Well there's no kitchen (or kitchenette or galley or hotplate or George Foreman grill or whatever it is that men call that poor excuse for a kitchen when there's no woman in the household) either in the two SW sets mentioned above. Both rooms are also missing from the LOTR Tower of Orthanc which in my opinion is the Barbie Dreamhouse of the Lego world (no elevator either...) :)

Yes the life preserver-as-toilet seat never worked quite right. The darn thing didn't stay centered and just didn't fit the bowl perfectly. As a girl, I have been bothered by this immensely. It bugs having a subpar fixture in an otherwise neatly designed building. We girls demand perfection!

I agree with you. I mean if a person is planning to go through all the trouble of perfecting everything from the fancy facade to the detailed interior with a stovetop counter, fancy fridge, comfy couch, book shelving, and a King-sized bed then get the details for the bathroom right too.

A minifigure's 'butt' (if you may pardon the expression) takes up a 2x2 area; the dome bottom uses a 2x2 area as does the circle tile that sits on top which makes a perfect fancy seat cushion plus keeps the thing 'closed' with the lid down. The floatation device was awkward at using closer to a 2x3 area due to the rounded connection point on one end that liked to swivel a lot, the pot meant as the bowl was too small by comparison with a real toilet, and the overall design featured no lid whatsoever. Maybe it is just me but I don't like having the lid up whenever I go into the bathroom so I have a personal preference to replicating the same thing in my designs.

Well there's no kitchen (or kitchenette or galley or hotplate or George Foreman grill or whatever it is that men call that poor excuse for a kitchen when there's no woman in the household) either in the two SW sets mentioned above.

I think guys when living by themselves just dig a pit in the ground, toss some logs in there, light them on fire, and then use a spit to burn their food. :mosking:
  • Like 1

Am I dreaming or can I see some toilets in the 41038 jungle rescue base ?

A bit weird in a lego set for little girls I would say.

Maybe it is just me but I don't like having the lid up whenever I go into the bathroom so I have a personal preference to replicating the same thing in my designs.

Ok, I will...

Is there toilet in millenium falcon 10179 or death star 10188, or it is more of a girl thing?

There's also a toilet in Olivia's House and the Dolphin Cruiser.

OMG people, must I explain everything to you ? Of course it is a girls only toilet. Because to boys / men, the whole jungle / ocean / backyard / space is our toilet :D :D :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Found New Friends Sets at Target today! 41033 , 41034, 41036, 41038

priced $30, $30, $20, $60

Can you tell me what sets these are. I have been looking at my Target and just see the old ones. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the whole lot of these "summer Friends" show up at Target after they shifted the main building block products aisles again which now includes Nanoblocks and some brands I never heard before. Anyway I spotted the Heartlake Shopping Center at an end cap. H-o-l-y c-r-a-p. That thing is HUGE! All these summer wave Friends sets look fantastic just from the box. I am impressed. I'm more for the city related sets but still whoa. I really wanted to pick up Olivia

• Like 1

These seem to be sold out everywhere I go, and the series 1,2,3 pets all look to sell well on eBay etc......

So question is, I am a lego investing newbie, would it be smart to buy up 3-4 of each when they do manage to see the shelves? I'm looking to get the sets for my girls but considering stashing some to flip in the future.

Thanks

I was able to pick up a whole bundle of series 4 and 5 (i think about 50 - 60 total) for AU$3 on clearance + 20% off (RRP is $7). I was planning on adding them as a "bonus" for the Friends & Princess sets that I'm planning on selling in Oct/Nov for Christmas.

This strategy seems to work for me moving Haunted houses as I pair them with a "bonus" Zombie Coffin Car polybag and make an extra $20.

I just saw the whole lot of these "summer Friends" show up at Target after they shifted the main building block products aisles again which now includes Nanoblocks and some brands I never heard before. Anyway I spotted the Heartlake Shopping Center at an end cap. ****-o-l-y c-r-a-p. That thing is HUGE! All these summer wave Friends sets look fantastic just from the box. I am impressed. I'm more for the city related sets but still whoa. I really wanted to pick up Olivia

• Like 1

These seem to be sold out everywhere I go, and the series 1,2,3 pets all look to sell well on eBay etc......

So question is, I am a lego investing newbie, would it be smart to buy up 3-4 of each when they do manage to see the shelves? I'm looking to get the sets for my girls but considering stashing some to flip in the future.

Thanks

I think it really depends on what animals are included in each series. Until recently, animals such as the cat and turtle (Series 1), the fawn (Series 3) and the tiger (Series 4) were rather novel and worth collecting. But now there seems to be a flood of animals that come with the sets themselves (especially with the jungle sets out, and there will be a fawn with this year's Friends Advent Calendar). There also is not much (if any) differentiation between the different iterations. (As my daughter explains, the two tigers she has are twin sisters. I wouldn't be surprised if more of her Friends animals gain twin siblings.)

My thoughts on investing in the Friends Animal series -- yes, they are limited edition, so if you are going to invest, invest in complete sets. But be prepared to hold onto them for a while. If you're going to pick and choose, try to go for the more interesting and "novel" animals...the penguin from Series 4 and seal and panda from Series 6 come to mind.

You could also take into account the novelty of the builds themselves. There's a lot of "repeat" builds in the friends series. I can't tell you how many bunny hutches, dog houses, and drumstick holders my daughter and I have built. The more interesting builds IMO are the squirrel and cat habitats from Series 1, maybe the penguin slide from Series 4, and I think definitely the jumping fish in the brown bear's river and the hanging vine in the orangutan's tree from Series 5.

The thing is with Friends sets (and other "girl" targeted sets) is that they are really lacking in "mechanics". Mostly they seem to be static habitats/buildings with lots of props to use and store. Yes, these characteristics appeal to girls (and the girls at heart :) ). But considering that this is Lego we're talking about, I think their designers can up the ante. The transform-ability of the squirrel habitat (Series 1) is really awesome. The mechanics of the "jumping" fish in the brown bear's river (Series 4) is truly clever. And I really like the hanging vines in the orangutan's tree and the new jungle sets (though the whole ziplining thing has been overdone -- see Polly Pocket). I mean, gosh, if there's a dearth of women in engineering fields, maybe give future generations of girls more exposure to building moveable parts. But that's a discussion for another day, another thread... :)

Are 5 and 6 out yet? And thanks for the responses

Typically Series 5 should have already been available months ago as in way back to the beginning of May with the start of this month being the start of Series 6. I do know the release dates for most everything was pushed back by a couple months due to The Lego Movie and getting those related items out in stores. With the way how this is going or appears to be, I would grab all the ones you want if anyone does happen to see Series 5 or 6 out in stores. Well at least here in the US and perhaps Canada too I'm guessing as 'the great white north' seems to get lumped in with us.

The way I hear is most of Europe has already found Series 5 and 6 now so for some reason we are behind for no real reason I can figure. Hopefully this will not become yet another "We regret to inform you but The Lego Group has made a decision to not sell this series in the United States due to low interest....or something like that. Now go buy these items you were looking forward to from some third party reseller whom we detest yet at the same time will redirect you to in a friendly manner. Have a nice day!". I was beginning to get worried the "Fire & Ice" Speedorz would have gone the same way but thankfully Target are carrying those now.

In any case, I am hoping some butts will get in gear and we have our Series 5 & 6, goshdarnit. Give me my cute critters!

bp_1409637074__i_need_it.png

Any idea when animal series 5 & 6 will hit stores?

Realistically, Series 5 should have already been out back in May with Series 6 just now being released seeing how it is September. I have heard plenty of people across Europe have already found both series' by now so I'm wondering what the holdup is with them here in the US. I understand a handful of sets well as themes were pushed back due to The Lego Movie but this is falling way behind schedule.