Minecraft - general discussion

TheOrcKing

Don't fear the creeper.  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your most favorite Minecraft micro world?

• 21102 - The Forest
    • 21105 - The Village
    • 21106 - The Nether
    • 21107 - The End
  2. 2. Which is your least favorite Minecraft micro world?

• 21102 - The Forest
    • 21105 - The Village
    • 21106 - The Nether
    • 21107 - The End

On 11/30/2015, 5:08:16, justapilgrim said:

Amazon is sold out of zero of them

kmart has them all too.  little hope for flipping.  guess shop at home is just getting pummeled because of the promos.  there is only 1 set in stock for shipping right now at LEGO Shop at Home.

Edited by cladner

• 1 month later...

Minecraft Was Released in 2009 but that was in alpha. It was slowly developed and grew with notch as the original creator to a Game that has been the 3rd most selling game in history, Only Tetris and Wii Sports (Which is a game that was given away) beat it. 72 million copies and more selling per day.

Minecraft has been a generation defined genre as caused the creation of many games that look and feel like Minecraft, there are dozens of them on steam like rust and ark. At the center of this genre there is Minecraft, an open world, survival, building game.

I’m sure everyone has herd that Microsoft has bought Minecraft for 2.5 billion. To put this in comparison, Disney bought Star Wars for 4.05 billion”

Microsoft is getting beaten hard in the console race and they need IP to compete against Sony and the upcoming new console from Nintendo. They will do everything to compete.

Minecraft has not been updated majorly since 1.8 and that was September 2014. The game is felling stale right now but there is hope for the franchise. The new Minecraft patch 1.9.10 “Combat Update” is looking to bring the games fighting engine up-to-date with today’s fighting mechanics, the new fighting mechanics upgrade a game that’s largely left click your mouse as fast as you can and aim your bow slighting higher than the target to account for drop to one that now has blocking, quick time, and the need of reaction time. This will bring many more people into the game and could explode into a new genre of game again. The patch should come out within 6 months.

With this we look at the Minecraft sets that have been out for over a year now 11/2014 was when they were readily available. Most Lego sets have a 1-2 year lifespan and sometimes reaching for 3. The Lego Set 21118 The Mine is now discounted heavy at Walmart’s for 69. I think this batch of Legos has a good six months left in its cycle and this could be the only cycle of Lego with this design and feel.

With new and returning fans on the horizon and a soon to be closing Lego series on the horizon. I am putting money into Minecraft Legos as an investment.

• Like 1

I don't know much about the game or these sets.  I have QFLL a few over the last year and that is about it.  Thank you for the information.  I have purchased a couple of Mines recently and have seen more clearing out of stores.  Nothing at $69 but maybe a few more if I come across them would be a good addition to the inventory.  Something for me to think about.  Thank you for the perspective.

I don't know much about the game or these sets.  I have QFLL a few over the last year and that is about it.  Thank you for the information.  I have purchased a couple of Mines recently and have seen more clearing out of stores.  Nothing at $69 but maybe a few more if I come across them would be a good addition to the inventory.  Something for me to think about.  Thank you for the perspective.

I personally have put A great amount of time into the game, more than I want to say, and know the scene. The short article is my personal perspective about the Minecraft sets, I have picked losers in the past like 7748 Corporate Alliance Droid, and 7929 Battle Of Naboo. Everyone should have there own investment plan and Minecraft sets on a discount is what I'm working on to add to my portfolio. 

Edited by Armor

What part of Minecraft sets is a sleeper?  Everyone is well aware of them at this point.

I would bet on, I would not invest in Steve but rather the mobs that come with Steve. I put my money on the Mine, cave, and Dungeon

• 21113: The Cave (There are 249 pieces, a spider that comes only in one other set, can be priced around for 50 most likely and still have people interested in it)
  • 21114: The farm (Yes its is a play set but it does have some rare parts like a pumpkin, i think the ones that will caries the set is the cow and sheep) 
  • 21118: The Mine (The flagship of the first wave of mini-fig scale sets, come with a lot of grey blocks so will be good to part, a rail system and Steve comes with a sword and iron armor and some mobs to fight, its a play set, if it bombs out you can pert this out) 
  • 21119: The Dungeon (I would come pair this to a large battle pack, comes with troop builders, If this set does not do well, you can part it for 50% margins if you have a good buy in on bricklink)
  •  

all the sets i listed are safe bets. if the them crashes like galaxy squad then there will still be money to be made by parting it out if all else fails, the sets all have a ok price to piece, the only set that i did not list that does not have a good bricks is the farm. I still bet that the pig and the sheep can carry a 22 to 25 buy in easily.

Could Do well sets

• 21115: The First Night (in my opinion the pig and the creeper in may be able to carry this set, it is a chunk of brown bricks so if you want to make a custom pirate ship then this at a discount is your set).
  • 21122: The Nether Fortress (all the rare minfigs like the blaze and ghast, its a mid scale flagship for the series but all the red is something that will bring this down, there is diamond tools in the set that other do not have but still the red bricks will drop this)
  • 21116: Crafting box (very versatile in what you get, The set itself promotes what minecraft wants to be, a sandbox do it yourself game. come on discount at target every now and then, could go for 100 on eBay for 2x profit after fees and a buy in of 35, this is though no base platfore, its a add on to other sets, you have to have 1 set and build with this set.
  • 21121: Desert outpost (More grey blocks, a human mini fig that is not Steve and is female that will carry the set, and there is a Wolf/dog in it. I would not buy in unless it goes to 30% off at least though, 59.99 retail is a lot and will scare off a chunk of the lower guys who focus on battle packs and its small fry to those who buy set that are only 100 or more).

I Would not touch unless its 50% off

• 21120: The Snow Hideout (Bad price to pieces, nothing unique about it other than the snowman, Its so while and its a base color there is no variety in this set than a flat while board and a lump with door on it, the snowman cant carries this) 
  • 21117: The Ender Dragon (It is the cleapest set with full diamond armor. the dragon looks really bad and the tan island bricks are not worth to part out. The only factor is steve with full diamond armor, people will buy this set only for the minifig. The end is also being updated in patch 1.9.10 is changing greatly.)

Steve will be the most worthless thing in the series, he is in every set, his tools and the mobs is what makes the sets diffrent than other set

the idea that somehow these are under the hoard's radar or  a "sleeper"  is wishful thinking.

Every set is being horded with the "Lego is greater than gold". I think that this series will actually break and will surprise people who do not follow the this lineup closely. Even Chima is being bought by people and they think the set will double in valuable on every set in Chima just because they got in for 30% off. There is no way for any lego to acually not get horded by many people. I just think this line will do great things latter on.

• Like 1

I am not sure that success in the gaming industry (which is fickle and not generally long lasting) translates into long term success in other arenas. Sure, some of these sets might be good, if well done, but current fans of the game aren't likely to be looking for Minecraft merchandise in 3 or 5 years. Gamers are constantly looking for the next big game, and when it comes along they move on. The good news is, if the fans want to build blocky structures and environments out of square blocks, they could just buy regular LEGO buckets and have the minecraft experience at a better price per piece.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Armor said:

Every set is being horded with the "Lego is greater than gold". I think that this series will actually break and will surprise people who do not follow the this lineup closely. Even Chima is being bought by people and they think the set will double in valuable on every set in Chima just because they got in for 30% off. There is no way for any lego to acually not get horded by many people. I just think this line will do great things latter on.

totally agree.

31 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I am not sure that success in the gaming industry (which is fickle and not generally long lasting) translates into long term success in other arenas. Sure, some of these sets might be good, if well done, but current fans of the game aren't likely to be looking for Minecraft merchandise in 3 or 5 years. Gamers are constantly looking for the next big game, and when it comes along they move on. The good news is, if the fans want to build blocky structures and environments out of square blocks, they could just buy regular LEGO buckets and have the minecraft experience at a better price per piece.

Minecraft is the #3 best selling video game of all time (after Tetris and Wii Sports - huh>? ) and while gaming is very fickle, there are a million PAYING gamers online playing Minecraft at any one time.  The nature of Minecraft the game would seem to drive players to buy the LEGO sets.  They aren't thinking about the PPP.   Given the sentiment in the above comment, maybe Minecraft isn't that hoarded....

main-qimg-a6c3972b00344a6d33ec3ac364f492

Edited by cladner

I dunno. My experiences with Minecraft are my nephew and my friend and his kids. My nephew gets toys and LEGO for birthdays and Christmas, but all he wants to do is play the video game, not toys. The toys sit, unopened for months, maybe ever. His dad just socks the LEGO away in a closet. My friend and his kids play minecraft, and sometimes play LEGO, but never Minecraft LEGO. I am sure that there is a certain amount of crossover, I just don't think I would trend long term success on the current hot thing. Anyone else remember when Prince of Persia was a popular game?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I dunno. My experiences with Minecraft are my nephew and my friend and his kids. My nephew gets toys and LEGO for birthdays and Christmas, but all he wants to do is play the video game, not toys. The toys sit, unopened for months, maybe ever. His dad just socks the LEGO away in a closet. My friend and his kids play minecraft, and sometimes play LEGO, but never Minecraft LEGO. I am sure that there is a certain amount of crossover, I just don't think I would trend long term success on the current hot thing. Anyone else remember when Prince of Persia was a popular game?

LOL - i remember playing that on my MAC Se30 back when there wasn't a browsable internet and daddy Bush was in the white house.

I don't remember it ever being a popular video game on top of kids gift lists.  the re-release in 2008 sold 2.2 million copies.  That's 1 busy day on the Minecraft server.  i  i do remember it being made into an awful movie.

Minecraft is a riskier theme to invest in then say Star Wars or Modulars and if a new better minecraft comes along, then this theme might be toast. I doubt that will happen but never say never.   I think if you can get them under 25-30% off, there will be decent profit within 24 months post EOL. 

Edited by cladner

11 hours ago, Armor said:

I personally have put A great amount of time into the game, more than I want to say, and know the scene. The short article is my personal perspective about the Minecraft sets, I have picked losers in the past like 7748 Corporate Alliance Droid, and 7929 Battle Of Naboo. Everyone should have there own investment plan and Minecraft sets on a discount is what I'm working on to add to my portfolio. 

If you consider Battle of Naboo a loser, what do you consider a winner?  It could be picked up for $12 on clearance and sold for around $50 within a year of retirement and is now going for around 3X RRP.

• Like 1

If you consider Battle of Naboo a loser, what do you consider a winner?  It could be picked up for $12 on clearance and sold for around $50 within a year of retirement and is now going for around 3X RRP.

I personally was not able to pick them up for 12. My personal buy-in was 19 at walmart clarance. I was not aware they went for 50. I checked before Christmas and the lower end of the price would be 34 for a sealed set. A 19 buy in with tax. 4 to 7 shipping. Box that cost .79. Then the ebay and PayPal fees as well. I most likely miss saw the price and jumped to conclusions. I bought the set also expecting long growth but that was cut short with the release of a better built set 75086. I don't think the battle of nabo will be worth more than the new release in the long run. The battle of nabo is a winner at 45 to 50 in my books. 

1 hour ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I have similar experiences with my two youngest sons. They love Lego, we build sets every week. They love minecraft, and they play that multiple times a week as well. They are however, very lukewarm on Lego Minecraft. We have 4 sets, and they literally refuse to open and build them. 

Their viewpoint is that the in game experience doesn't translate well into the physical play experience. For reference, they are 7 and 9. 

Maybe older kids like the sets better? TFOL/AFOL? Perhaps in a few years they will want these sets to recreate some past nostalgia.

I think the ship has sailed on Minecraft. The new ones this christmas weren't flippable. The new ones from the previous year linger on shelves at discount everywhere. And no one, I mean NO ONE wants the microworld sets. With the exception of the Village, most of them can still be found for around msrp. Minecraft was fun for a couple QFLL seasons, but I am out of the QFLL game now and see no investment potential in these sets. Good luck!

I've only seen my kids play the game a couple of times, but from what I've observed it's all about building your own world and then inviting friends to come and play in that world.  Or worlds created by other people.  But what gives me pause from an investment stand point is the lack of a common storyline or characters.  If someone where to go to Hollywood and pitch "Minecraft: The Movie", what would that movie be?

13 minutes ago, jaxman said:

I've only seen my kids play the game a couple of times, but from what I've observed it's all about building your own world and then inviting friends to come and play in that world.  Or worlds created by other people.  But what gives me pause from an investment stand point is the lack of a common storyline or characters.  If someone where to go to Hollywood and pitch "Minecraft: The Movie", what would that movie be?

It has more of a story than Angry Birds yet we get almost 2 hours of that drivel soon

My daughter, 8 , got the mine for Xmas and the snow biom and enjoyed building them. She uses the minecraft minifigures, non lego, and sets them up in all kinds of different scenarios. She also plays the game and watches many of the you tubers that play. I dont see these sets as big winners but have enjoyed playing with them with my daughter. I have one of each set set aside just in case but not willing to go too deep on them.