Minecraft - general discussion

TheOrcKing

Don't fear the creeper.  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your most favorite Minecraft micro world?

• 21102 - The Forest
    • 21105 - The Village
    • 21106 - The Nether
    • 21107 - The End
  2. 2. Which is your least favorite Minecraft micro world?

• 21102 - The Forest
    • 21105 - The Village
    • 21106 - The Nether
    • 21107 - The End

• 2 months later...

Hmmm,

It's a matter of personal taste as I think that both will do well once they are EOL'd. I'd go with the DeLorean.

Now for my contribution, I'll send you my mailing address so you can send me the Mini Camper I just helped you get :D

Have just bought a few boxes of BTTF DeLorean for USD38 each. Looks good on this

• 3 weeks later...

Minecraft seems really oversaturated.  Delorean seems like a non-favorite of most investors, so it could be a sleeper in the long run.  Neither are going to be a huge success in my opinion.  Ecto-1 and Women of Science (if it is infact limited) are probably better for the long-term. Just my opinion. 

Guest TabbyBoy

Even though the Delorean may be the best choice here, I still think it's highly inaccurate and quite frankly, hideous compared to the superb Ecto-1.

I'm really on the fence now about Minecraft. I want to see how all the new sets they are releasing this year do. If this turns out to be a fad then these sets could be worth very little long term. I agree that the Delorean is a bad set. Mine is sitting next the the superior Ecto 1 and it puts it to shame. Picking up a few Deloreans at discount is probably not a bad idea. There will always be BTTF fans.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I'm really on the fence now about Minecraft. I want to see how all the new sets they are releasing this year do. If this turns out to be a fad then these sets could be worth very little long term. I agree that the Delorean is a bad set. Mine is sitting next the the superior Ecto 1 and it puts it to shame. Picking up a few Deloreans at discount is probably not a bad idea. There will always be BTTF fans.

I agree with you.  I'm usually thinking long term and I don't see Minecraft as being anything else than a fad imho.  Short term you could probably flip Minecraft sets if done at the right time.  I don't see long term potential......but then again, I could be wrong.

I agree with you. I'm usually thinking long term and I don't see Minecraft as being anything else than a fad imho. Short term you could probably flip Minecraft sets if done at the right time. I don't see long term potential......but then again, I could be wrong.

I did flip 4 of the most recent set The End when it was released early by Jinx and made about $15 each on them. They sold quickly. The main problem I have is that they are releasing so many sets this year. Its major overkill. If they had only released 2-3 then I would be more optimistic. There is probably still money to be made by flipping through Christmas but I'm not buying any for long term investing. The original set may do well because it is a CUUSOO set but other than that I just don't know.

Personally, I would go for the Delorean. Maybe I am just to old but I do not understand the minecraft philosophy. BTTF movies are iconic and will remain that way for many years to come. They are timeless.

I hope they will not do any series for BTTF. Leave the trilogy as it is. New movies or series based on the originals are mostly bad in my opinion. Examples are: Miami Vice (movie), Knight Rider (movies), Highlander (series), etc.

Personally, I would go for the Delorean. Maybe I am just to old but I do not understand the minecraft philosophy. BTTF movies are iconic and will remain that way for many years to come. They are timeless.

I hope they will not do any series for BTTF. Leave the trilogy as it is. New movies or series based on the originals are mostly bad in my opinion. Examples are: Miami Vice (movie), Knight Rider (movies), Highlander (series), etc.

First rule of investing, Never invest only in things you like .. invest in things that sells .. and minecraft is super popular hot item and sells well. Just keep that in mind

First rule of investing, Never invest only in things you like .. invest in things that sells .. and minecraft is super popular hot item and sells well. Just keep that in mind

my first rule is to invest in what you know and understand.  don't shoot from the hip and buy stuff just because others are doing it or it seems popular, unless you understand why and that it makes sense financially.  

that said, i DO invest in things i like and believe in (along with some other stuff i don't but makes money).  it's all about balance.  it's fun to bet on your favorite, you just can't have blind faith in your choices.  

I agree for 90%. But I dunno if I like the minecraft cause I missed all the hype on this. So that is the case.

Also true I believe. Do not invest in something you do not understand.

I suppose you are right and minecraft will be/is a good investment. But for me, I cannot buy everything and have to make choices. So my choice is the Delorean. 

my thoughts on minecraft:

i played it before it was mainstream, setup a server, got my friends into it.  then introduced my 6yr old niece to the game and she still plays it and is now 10.  i stopped a couple years ago.  awesome game but loses appeal for most after a healthy period of time, like most games. 

adult fans have these sets.  there will not be a huge surge of new adult fans.  kids who want the sets can get them for xmas, mowing lawns etc..they are cheap and everywhere.  i see more of these than any set everywhere i go.  i'm sure they sell well.  

so who will pay $100+ for these sets?  a nostalgic young 20s person coming out of their dark ages of legos and also a previous player of minecraft?  maybe, but that's 10 years off.  

plus, all you guys have a ton.  why bother?  money better spent elsewhere.

that's why i have zero of these.  

my thoughts on minecraft:

i played it before it was mainstream, setup a server, got my friends into it.  then introduced my 6yr old niece to the game and she still plays it and is now 10.  i stopped a couple years ago.  awesome game but loses appeal for most after a healthy period of time, like most games. 

adult fans have these sets.  there will not be a huge surge of new adult fans.  kids who want the sets can get them for xmas, mowing lawns etc..they are cheap and everywhere.  i see more of these than any set everywhere i go.  i'm sure they sell well.  

so who will pay $100+ for these sets?  a nostalgic young 20s person coming out of their dark ages of legos and also a previous player of minecraft?  maybe, but that's 10 years off.  

plus, all you guys have a ton.  why bother?  money better spent elsewhere.

that's why i have zero of these.  

Everyone has their picks. No such thing as a wrong pick because we cant see the future. If everyone invested in the exact same sets that would make it quite difficult to sell them later on. Diversity is not such a bad thing when comparing your investment inventory to others.

So with all these new minecraft sets coming out this year, maybe the original could be nearing EOL? In a lot of ways I doubt it just because they have to be making a lot of money on it.

On the other hand, its been out couple years now. Out with the old in with the new right?

If it does go, are you ready stock wise? What do you think the sets ceiling is?

I think it would explode with all of the panic of it being gone, but slow once people realize they are paying 150$ for a small set.

Possibly, it would seem like a good time to remove the set from the official Lego market, but the new sets aren`t quite here yet of course. It would be a repeat of the first run, fast rise in price if they retired it before the new sets come out. Honestly I think the maximum market value of the first set would be $150, might go up a bit higher, but once the newer sets are out it`s probably not going higher. It doesn`t offer much aside from the "Minecraft" logo and theme, and there is just no way people will buy it over any of the official Lego themed sets later this year or next. I think you`re definitely right though, it will go "BOOM!!" if it retires first. 

I don't know about the long term investment potential of Minecraft. I know it's popular now but will it be in 2-3 years or will a new fad take its place leaving these sets unpopular and undesirable. Maybe Minecraft is here to stay but chances are it's a fad just like many others. One advantage to the original set is that it was CUUSOO and that will have some appeal long term.

I don't know about the long term investment potential of Minecraft. I know it's popular now but will it be in 2-3 years or will a new fad take its place leaving these sets unpopular and undesirable. Maybe Minecraft is here to stay but chances are it's a fad just like many others.

And I agree with this - but if the set quadruples in 6 months, does the long term potential matter? Il be selling the hell out of them at 150$.

And I agree with this - but if the set quadruples in 6 months, does the long term potential matter? Il be selling the hell out of them at 150$.

I doubt we will see that kind of increase in six months. The made and sold a lot of these.

• 1 month later...

I think The Forest is interesting at a bitmap level but my favorite would have to be The Nether and in a small way The End perhaps. I like the idea behind each being modular and compact but I'm not quite a huge fan of micro builds by themselves. I think I enjoy having micro builds as part of something larger like a minifigure child's train set or something.

I may purchase a few of The Nether if anything for the selection of dark red bricks plus the limited few in translucent purple. The original set for Minecraft is a decent parts pack too and The Village isn't so bad either. The End does include some exclusive to rare pieces but it seems to offer the least amount of good bricks overall.

i am warming to these and they are one of the few sets the bn nearest me regularly stock.

have been using membership bn coupons raise cards to pick up them up ~ 30-40% off msrp.

i  like the village the most because of variety of colors and seems like a more substantial build.  i would put nether and forest at second.  i like them all but i like the end the least.

how many of these come in a lego case/box?  e.***. if i order 3 or 4 from walmart can i get them in a sealed lego case?

Investment wise, I love all of them. Looking at them, I cannot see the appeal at all as they all look crappy. 

they look like abstract art.  

at first glance these seem simple and sort of boring almost like adult duplos but after you stare at them a while and you figure out what the heck is going on i think they are pretty clever at pulling out most basic elements of an object or theme.

also they are a dream to ship.

I never have played this game (destroy blocks to create stuff ? no thanks)

Overall the forest is my "favorite" (hmm sort of...) and the village has a cool feature (the mines, with railtracks, and wall that can "explode").

I don't like the color of the nether and the end is not appealing at all to me...