Minecraft - general discussion

TheOrcKing

Don't fear the creeper.  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your most favorite Minecraft micro world?

• 21102 - The Forest
    • 21105 - The Village
    • 21106 - The Nether
    • 21107 - The End
  2. 2. Which is your least favorite Minecraft micro world?

• 21102 - The Forest
    • 21105 - The Village
    • 21106 - The Nether
    • 21107 - The End

That is wierd, and the original Minecraft set is in two different spots now listed as CUUSOO and Minecraft under the Themes section. Just what the heck is going on here? More updating of their webstore?

I placed orders for mine right at 12:01  ...see if these work.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Micro-World-The-Village-21105

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Micro-World-The-Nether-21106

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Think this is the right place to post this.

I have bought both sets but I am wondering which will be the best investment.

In terms of storage, the small Minecraft boxes are brilliant, the Delorean is nearly as small, but will they be good in a few years time. 

Both are trading at above RRP on EBay UK - although I did notice the Delorean is being sold by some other retailers now.

I am planning another Store visit this week to get my last Mini Camper and will be getting another one of the above. But which.... :)

Guest TabbyBoy

Minecraft is subject to sudden loss of popularity if another fad arrives (remember Angry Birds?) and overproduction so I'd go wit Delorean.  Great that Smyths Toys had them cheap so, I got 12 using 4 different email addresses just before they sold out. ;-)  However, I have 5 sets each of the 3 Minecrafts just in case.

Hmmm,

It's a matter of personal taste as I think that both will do well once they are EOL'd. I'd go with the DeLorean.

Now for my contribution, I'll send you my mailing address so you can send me the Mini Camper I just helped you get :D

Haha, well I can give you this....

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/5848-minecraft-or-delorean/

And some insider information, methinks this buyer will go to

Tabbyboy has a great point, and I think he is right on the money; however, there is another small variable between the two sets:  If you were to wipe the licensing of both products, and just had a generic box of bricks, the Minecraft set is by far a better set.  Maybe the bricks are not worth more on a per brick basis, but as a set, the Minecraft set is more fun to build with and play with.  The Delorean is a nice car set, but it pretty much just makes a car, or another car, or a building with wheels.  The Minecraft set is art.  It is many different colors, shapes, plates, bricks, and characters.  It is a platform for building worlds.  The Delorean is a platform for building a Delorean.  Anyway, Tabby is right, but if both franchises were to lose interest equally, I think the Minecraft set is the better box of bricks.

Delorean. Hands down. The movie is already almost 30 years and still popular. And when they inevitably reboot the series (which has already been rumored in the last couple years), you might have something really great.

Minecraft could run out of steam and leave you with boxes of tiny bricks.

BTTF is ALWAYS going to be more popular than Minecraft.

Guest TabbyBoy

Delorean. Hands down. The movie is already almost 30 years and still popular. And when they inevitably reboot the series (which has already been rumored in the last couple years), you might have something really great.

Minecraft could run out of steam and leave you with boxes of tiny bricks.

BTTF is ALWAYS going to be more popular than Minecraft.

The concern I have with a BTTF re-make is that another make/model of car may be used to bring it all up to date. Eg. an Audi TT, God forbid.  Whatever we decide, it's always a gamble.

Thanks guys. A lot of differences of opinion, especially about the mine craft. I have been meaning to ask a question about the theme for a while as i know nothing about it.

I think I will be getting, a Delorean, a large PAB tub (cos I made a 100% net profit on the last one) and a Forest Ambush (cos I like it). This equals one VW mini. :)

I still need to order some Deloreans. No comparison IMHO in terms of investment between the two. Minecraft did exceptionally well do to its immediate fan base and popularity, but that will likely pass. All the major fan boys who want one have likely got a copy (for the most part). There will still be some value, but not very much growth in the long term. A year ago I`d have bought tons if I was investing then but would not do so today. I like the "Angry Birds" comparison someone mentioned above. That will likely be the case. Just waiting for something bigger and better to arrive. Delorean on the other hand is money in the bank as far as I`m concerned. It won`t be a huge investment (3-4x MSRP) but will likely double pretty quick once EOL. Especially if it retires this year, which may or may not happen. 

• 1 month later...

Oh. My. ****d. Please. No.  :blink:

*peels head of desk

Ok, now. Honestly the documentary may be the closest I get to Minecraft. Really is not my thing. No surprise that this is coming out judging by the massive popularity though. 

I've never played it myself.  Maybe the first LEGO Minecraft set will retire before the movie though.