Disney Princess 2014

boxofcorey

As a true Disney fan, here are my predictions on what Lego SHOULD release for the next wave of Disney princess.

1. Anna and Elsa's Enchanted Snowfall (MSRP 39.99) Join Anna and Elsa in the royal ballroom for an enchanted snow fall party! Slide down the ice ramps and collect all the different snowflakes Elsa creates!

Notes: Remember, Elsa lost her princess status when she was promoted to queen later in the film. The minifigs will have to be the child size incarnations, of Anna and Elsa. The bricks can all be blues, white and clear pieces!

2. Jasmine's Magical Carpet Ride (MSRP $29.99)

Aladdin wants to take Princess Jasmine on a magical carpet ride through Agrabah. Show her the sights!

Notes: The set can include Aladdin and the magic carpet which hooks onto the edge of a veranda Jasmine's palace. The set can include her bedroom with Rajah, her pet tiger.

3. Belle's Welcome (MSRP $29.99)

Belle has just arrived at the castle but she sure is hungry! Let Lumiere, Mrs. Potts and friends dine her and give her a warm welcome!

Notes: This set can include most of the enchanted objects and plenty of food items!

What do you think? Good ideas? Please let me know. This line is one of my favorites of all the recent lines Lego has produced, and the sky is the limit!

• Like 1

Those ideas sound good to me, although I'm not sure what girls like since I've got boys.  I wasn't the biggest Frozen fan, but I think they could do a bigger Frozen set simialr to Cinderella's Palace and it would sell well.  Include that weird snowman character.

As for Aladdin, would Lego make a Princess figure with a tube top?  I know it's accurate, but things have got more PC since then.

many important characters, especially the villains are missing - this is unforgivable - how can a girl play with these sets without key characters? 

You're looking at this from a male perspective. How many dollhouses do you know that come with a villain? Or Barbie sets? Lego Friends sets? Like any bazillion-dollar toy manufacturer, Lego has done their research and tested how their products do with real kids. If these sets don't come with villains, it isn't because they're trying to shield kids from scary characters, it's because little girls don't care about them. Why do you think they named the girl theme "Friends"? Compare that to the best-selling non-pink Lego theme of all-time which has the word "war" in it. It sounds like I'm being sexist, but boys and girls really are hardwired differently. Source: I have one of each and worked in children's programming.

There's a stark contrast between how "boy" and "girl" stories typically end. In "boy" shows, the hero usually vanquishes the bad guy, who then vows revenge and runs off, tail between legs. But in "girl" shows, the hero and the villain often end up as friends! The villain-girl learns the errors of her ways because of the love and friendship of the hero-girl and redeems herself by putting things right. True, Disney princess movies often do have a villain that gets vanquished, but keep in mind that they have to market to boys and girls when they make a movie otherwise they lose half of their potential audience. TV shows can target gender more effectively and have fewer nonredeemable villains as a result.

And guess what? The highest-grossing princess movie ever, Frozen, [spoilerS AHEAD] doesn't really have a villain! Yeah, there's the bad prince, but how many other villains do you know aren't even important for the first 50 minutes of a film? Isn't the bad guy supposed to be the one causing the problems? What if Loki didn't reveal himself until 50 minutes into The Avengers? The prince in Frozen feels tacked on, as do pretty much all of the male characters. The essential story is about two sisters who grow apart and come back together in the end. One of them cuts herself off from the world because she thinks everyone else will hate her, but thanks to the love and sacrifice of her sister, she returns and sets things right and everyone lives happily ever after as friends and family. Result? More than a billion dollars at the box office.

Those ideas sound good to me, although I'm not sure what girls like since I've got boys.  I wasn't the biggest Frozen fan, but I think they could do a bigger Frozen set simialr to Cinderella's Palace and it would sell well.  Include that weird snowman character.

Frozen is huge. HUGE. It's the highest-grossing animated film of all time, and everyone I know with a little girl is ready to put ice picks in their ears so they won't have to listen to that song again. A Frozen Lego set would do very well. 

As for Aladdin, would Lego make a Princess figure with a tube top?  I know it's accurate, but things have got more PC since then.

B009X9GM10-3.jpg

• Like 6

Great reply johnwray! PEEPS..don't turn a blind eye to the Cinderella sets. Disney's next live action princess-centric film after 'Maleficent' WILL BE the Cinderella remake starring two time Oscar darling Cate Blanchett as Lady Tremaine. The film will be out around 2015-2016, just when the Cinderella sets have retired ;)

The dwarves' house from Snow White. With all seven dwarves please. Squirrels, bunnies, and fawns borrowed from the Friends line. Maybe Thorin and Co. could drop by for a visit :)

Jasmine would be fine in her iconic 2-piece outfit. All toys of her have her in that outfit.

The antagonist of Frozen is fear. Fear of one's own powers (Elsa) and fear of womanhood (all the male characters left back in Arendelle).

Princess Leia's slave girl outfit sports a thong, which by the way looks terrible because slave princess Leia just doesn't have the figure for it.

I don't think a tube top would make them blink. The princess minifigs I've been parting out this week are, er, anatomically correct in the upper body region if you get my drift.

Edited to add: great post Johnwray!

Also I wouldn't underestimate Rapunzel's Tower. I'm still convinced it's the most successful of the first wave princess sets. They're going to be very hard to find come Christmas. (That is unless they release a Frozen set later this year. That one would blow everything else out of the water. In which case I'm selling my entire stash of Legos and investing in those instead!)

And if they do a Frozen ice castle, I would really really love a mech version of Marshmallow.

I'm on the fence about Maleficent. I considered investing in the classic Maleficent dolls (from the 1950s animated film), getting ahead of the game before the movie's release. Still undecided.

Also I wouldn't underestimate Rapunzel's Tower. I'm still convinced it's the most successful of the first wave princess sets. They're going to be very hard to find come Christmas. (That is unless they release a Frozen set later this year. That one would blow everything else out of the water. In which case I'm selling my entire stash of Legos and investing in those instead!)

Also agreed - I think Rapunzel's Tower is the best of the Wave 1 Princess sets. 

Anecdotally, my daughter (who just turned 4) asked for Rapunzel's Tower for her birthday, not Cinderalla's Castle.  She adores Rapunzel and Tangled.

Princess Leia's slave girl outfit sports a thong, which by the way looks terrible because slave princess Leia just doesn't have the figure for it.

I don't think a tube top would make them blink. The princess minifigs I've been parting out this week are, er, anatomically correct in the upper body region if you get my drift.

Edited to add: great post Johnwray!

I knew about Leia, but was considering that the Princess thing is marketed to girls, I had no idea about the Friends figures.  Glad to see PC has gotten that far.

I agree with the others about Rapunzel's Tower.

Also agreed - I think Rapunzel's Tower is the best of the Wave 1 Princess sets.

Anecdotally, my daughter (who just turned 4) asked for Rapunzel's Tower for her birthday, not Cinderalla's Castle. She adores Rapunzel and Tangled.

Agreed! For girls of this generation, Rapunzel is the Disney princess they're more familiar with, because they grew up watching Tangled and being immersed in Tangled merchandise.

But for older generations, Cinderella is the Disney princess they remember growing up with. (And if you're somewhere in between those 2 generations like me, you may have more nostalgia for Ariel or Belle.)

Anyway, I bring this up because when stocking up on DP sets, you have to consider who you're selling to. If you're looking to flip for Xmas (selling to parents buying for kids), you may have better luck with Rapunzel's Tower, IMO.

But if you're looking for something long term (selling to adult collectors), Cinderella's Castle would be the better bet.

• Like 1

By the way, does anyone else think Cinderella's Carriage is just heinous looking? I don't think it captures her pumpkin carriage at all. The Duplo one was better. I mean at least that one was round!

I think that... a lot of little girls know Cinderella but have never seen Disney's movie. ^^'

+1

It won't get much better than this...other than a bogo at tru with gc stack maybe and even them we're only talking a couple bucks

Actually... Spoiler alert: lots of "ifs" to follow...

If you are on B&****** GC at 20% off train, and if you received  15-20% B&****** coupon today, and if you have B&****** memebrship (10% off), and if your local B&****** carries princess line, then the deal is slightly better, though more difficult to do in volumes

Actually... Spoiler alert: lots of "ifs" to follow...

If you are on B&N GC at 20% off train, and if you received  15-20% B&N coupon today, and if you have B&N memebrship (10% off), and if your local B&N carries princess line, then the deal is slightly better, though more difficult to do in volumes

Especially when the coupon is for 20% off on ONE item :)