Disney Princess 2014

boxofcorey

"According to All About Bricks, there will be a Disney Princess theme for 2014. The characters will come in the shape of the LEGO Friends mini-dolls instead of the traditional LEGO minifigures."

Arghhhhh!!! I'm sure some will be happy about this potential development, but from an investment standpoint I really want to see a more AFOL friendly girl line.

Are we sure this isn't going to be another Duplo theme? All the Disney stuff has been currently going that way.

I don't know very much about the Lego set numbering system, but the Dolphin set is 41015 so the rumored numbers seem to fit within that line.

Personally, I think they'll be a huge hit in the Friends line and really hope to see them - these are sets I can get excited about investing in AND parting out.

This would be awesome!! Interesting how they will be going with the mini dolls. I hope they come out with more outfit options. It's all tank tops and short skirts among Olivia and friends.

However, they really need to improve on the mini doll design. I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, but IMO the three biggest flaws are:

1. The hair NEVER stays on. And you can't turn the mini-doll's head properly. The hair will turn, but not the head.

2. The mini-doll can bend forward at the waist but not backward. Really limits posing ability. The dolls are always gazing slightly downward. Try putting a doll on one of the bikes from the Adventure Camper set or one of the horses from Heartlake Stables and they look straight at the ground!

3. Putting any prop in the mini-doll's hand will cause her to topple forward. (Giant croissant, anyone?)

• 1 month later...

They already have the Duplo sets, and these look only slightly more complex. If Disney can sell out of $130 dolls (the Fairy Tale Designer series), obviously there is an adult market for princesses. I think the castle will retail for $99, so it might actually be closer to 900 pieces. But that just makes it worse; 900 pieces should look better than a glorified Duplo castle. Personally I won't even look twice at these when they hit stores.

the piece count might be wrong several have the same count and they don't even look close to 442

There is no way each of those have the exact same piece count. Still I wonder why did they go with 442? Don't they know "47" is the number of the universe?

Wow, those are just plain awful. Even the minifigs, they're like the Friends dolls... Why? I was looking forward to the castle but 440 pieces... It looks like a belville set straight out of the 80s. I'm disappointed.

I hate to say it but did we really expect anything different? I would have rather had regular minifigures but continuing the 'girly' trend of Friends it shouldn't be a surprise these would be more of the same in that aspect. And yes, they do seem straight from Belleville. However, I can tolerate these minidolls (and builds) much better than the funky actual dolls that line had. Plus I'm glad they did not turn out to be Duplo. :wacko:

I think these are great sets for the intended target market - little girls who are too old for Duplo, but not necessarily out of the "princess" phase. 

I actually think the bigger sets are really nice - simple builds that turn out to be very whimsical structures.  The girls of this age (thinking 4-7) aren't looking for challenging or complex builds - they want to see their favorite Disney princess and be able to build her castle, buggy etc.

My major complaint is that Disney provided two Cinderella sets (edit - and two Ariels), but no Belle - my daughter's favorite princess.  That said, my daughter will eat these up.  Rapunzel will certainly be first on the list.

My major complaint is that Disney provided two Cinderella sets (edit - and two Ariels), but no Belle - my daughter's favorite princess.  That said, my daughter will eat these up.  Rapunzel will certainly be first on the list.

Maybe they deemed the Beast minifig too scary for children or not "girly" enough ?