Polybags - general discussion

Any polybaggers around here?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a polybag collector?

• I am a serious polybag collector and must have at least one for my personal collection.
    • I am a casual polybag collector and only buy what I like.
    • I do not collect polybags.
  2. 2. Do you invest in polybags?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

3 hours ago, meowsmeowsmeows said:

Does anyone else find the Lego US Shop at Home freebies less than desirable the last two months?  I understand TLG's interest in free polybags for promoting a new theme, but other than for parts, I'd prefer the Chima Worriz Fire Bike.  Kids may think differently though.

Only thing that interests me is the Pyramid shaped 1x1 used as turret roofs on that castle thingy. Is that a new part?

Some of you have been doing this polybag thing longer than I have, so I thought I'd ask for a little advice.  I've sold 9 of the Silver Centurion on eBay for around $27 each.  I have one left.  Should I hold onto it and see if it goes up?  Hold onto it if I might want one in the future?  Or should I just list it and be done with it?  Currently, there is one listing at $26.48 (has two) and then it's back to $27.  I guess what I'm really asking is if you veterans of this game see this hitting TRU shelves in a few weeks/months?  I can tell you that this is the hardest one for me to get my hands on by far compared to all others I've looked for.  But I wasn't around for the G Trap or the Winter Soldier.  Does this one feel any differently to you guys?

Thanks for the advice.

29 minutes ago, stackables said:

Anyone have a good way to display sealed polys?  I am finally planning to put together my minifig display case and was wondering what I should do with some of my sealed polys.  Anyone have any cool ideas?  I am using a shadow box from Ikean for my minifigs. 

This may sound crude but how about sticking thumbtacks through the top of them and neatly lining them up on a wall? 

4 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Some of you have been doing this polybag thing longer than I have, so I thought I'd ask for a little advice.  I've sold 9 of the Silver Centurion on eBay for around $27 each.  I have one left.  Should I hold onto it and see if it goes up?  Hold onto it if I might want one in the future?  Or should I just list it and be done with it?  Currently, there is one listing at $26.48 (has two) and then it's back to $27.  I guess what I'm really asking is if you veterans of this game see this hitting TRU shelves in a few weeks/months?  I can tell you that this is the hardest one for me to get my hands on by far compared to all others I've looked for.  But I wasn't around for the G Trap or the Winter Soldier.  Does this one feel any differently to you guys?

Thanks for the advice.

I would hold onto it, you've already made a cr@p ton of money and it'll be a fun to see how high it goes. 

Edited by California92563

35 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Thanks for the advice.

May I ask how you got so many? Im

assuming you didn't preorder them all. I had no luck getting even one for my collection.

5 hours ago, Phil B said:

Only thing that interests me is the Pyramid shaped 1x1 used as turret roofs on that castle thingy. Is that a new part?

Yes it's a new part... look at The Louvre:

Afficher l'image d'origine

Why they didn't make that pyramid shaped 1x1 for this set is beyond me. The real Louvre doesn't have a stud on top.

Afficher l'image d'origine

12 hours ago, stackables said:

This (mini Fortrex 30372) poly looks terrible.  Looks like something I would make when I was in kindergarten.

You guys are being a little harsh on the Nexo microfighter... does TLG have to send you free money every month to stay on your good side?  For kids who like Nexo Knights, it is awesome. My son tells me it is the only way to get the Robin character, other than the "Ultimate Robin" kit (I haven't fact-checked that).  3 Ebay listings are $16.44, $12.95, and $9.99. A note to you noob polybags dealers: You don't need to undercut the lowest price by several dollars in order to get the sale ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gregpj said:

Why they didn't make that pyramid shaped 1x1 for this set is beyond me. The real Louvre doesn't have a stud on top.

The Louvre was simply a single set. When LEGO decides to come out with a new piece, they appear to plan ahead by premiering said part throughout a diverse number of (at the time) upcoming sets. Case in point, look at everything the Mixel ball & socket joints have been a part of (outside the Mixels themselves), or the fairly recent single stud circular tile, and so on. I can imagine this initial inclusion across multiple designs & themes helps offset the cost for the mold itself right out the gate well as letting the public know something new has been added. While I do not know what may have prompted the original discussion in LEGO's R&D for the pyramid piece, I would not be surprised if the Architecture set in question helped start it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

The Louvre was simply a single set. When LEGO decides to come out with a new piece, they appear to plan ahead by premiering said part throughout a diverse number of (at the time) upcoming sets. Case in point, look at everything the Mixel ball & socket joints have been a part of (outside the Mixels themselves), or the fairly recent single stud circular tile, and so on. I can imagine this initial inclusion across multiple designs & themes helps offset the cost for the mold itself right out the gate well as letting the public know something new has been added. While I do not know what may have prompted the original discussion in LEGO's R&D for the pyramid piece, I would not be surprised if the Architecture set in question helped start it.

While you make a sound case ... if we think of R&D lead time to design these sets and produce new parts, there is only 3 months between the official launch dates for The Louvre and Nexo Knights. NK were also revealed at NY ComicCon in October 2015 which means those sets had to be ready to go some time in early September _at least and probably much earlier_... which means the new pyramid part _should_ have been conceived of and already been in a state of being produced well before the Louvre's official launch date (I know... it was revealed in Feb 2015). Etc, etc. I think someone at LEGO missed the boat on it... obviously the Arch designers weren't talking to the NK designers and whoever is in charge of communication between the diff LEGO design teams effed it up!

Edit 2: If I'd actually examined the picture for more than half a second, this post might have ground. Otherwise, nothing to see here... ;o

Edit: To add to TOK's speculation:

I bet it has to do with the colours. The transparent bricks are of a slightly different variety of ABS, as I'm sure many of you that play with lego have figured out... it has a different grip than regular bricks, usually stickier, and they're probably produced on a completely different assembly line than the rest of the bricks. 

So they came up with this sweet 1x1 pyramid piece (perhaps as you indicate, before Louvre was even boxed and released)... but by making it in normal black ABS it can easily be applied to many applications... black is a pretty neutral colour and appears in most sets, it could go as a great decorative piece in many situations if black. A transparent one of the same thing wouldn't be nearly as versatile in my opinion. Absolutely applicable to the cap on a glass pyramid, sure, but how many other sets could they employ a transparent version aesthetically or usefully? Production costs of setting up the mold on the transparent plastic machine probably wasn't cost effective for them.... so we got a plate instead. 

Edited by Zelgazra

26 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Edit: To add to TOK's speculation:

I bet it has to do with the colours. The transparent bricks are of a slightly different variety of ABS, as I'm sure many of you that play with lego have figured out... it has a different grip than regular bricks, usually stickier, and they're probably produced on a completely different assembly line than the rest of the bricks. 

So they came up with this sweet 1x1 pyramid piece (perhaps as you indicate, before Louvre was even boxed and released)... but by making it in normal black ABS it can easily be applied to many applications... black is a pretty neutral colour and appears in most sets, it could go as a great decorative piece in many situations if black. A transparent one of the same thing wouldn't be nearly as versatile in my opinion. Absolutely applicable to the cap on a glass pyramid, sure, but how many other sets could they employ a transparent version aesthetically or usefully? Production costs of setting up the mold on the transparent plastic machine probably wasn't cost effective for them.... so we got a plate instead. 

The Nexo Knights 1x1 Pyramid pieces come in transparent orange??

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 4:59 AM, Zelgazra said:

I am curious as to what extra steps are required in making pieces transparent as you have reminded me their clutch is noticeably different ala "sticky". It is the primary reason why we yet to have a completely transparent minifigure even with today's standards well advanced beyond what could be achieved by just a few years ago.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:02 AM, gregpj said:

I think someone at LEGO missed the boat on it... obviously the Arch designers weren't talking to the NK designers and whoever is in charge of communication between the diff LEGO design teams effed it up!

Another failure in communication then, eh? Is there any workplace that doesn't have a failure to communicate? Haha. Well hopefully in the 'not-so-distant' future there will be a set including a clear pyramid piece to replace the open stud on top.