Polybags - general discussion

Any polybaggers around here?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a polybag collector?

• I am a serious polybag collector and must have at least one for my personal collection.
    • I am a casual polybag collector and only buy what I like.
    • I do not collect polybags.
  2. 2. Do you invest in polybags?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

18 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Some polys can make you some decent money but the draw for me is that you can move a bunch of product with minimal effort so yeah the profit margin isn't great on most polys but it isn't hard to pack and ship them. Always keep an eye out for stores just dumping polys on a shelf or end cap. Just the other day there was hundreds of stormtrooper sergeant polys just laid on an empty shelf in the lego isle. 2.99 each............easy money!!

I guess that was one of my main concerns; volume. The appeal of polybags to me is exactly what you say; they are small and cheap, so it's easy to store them and easy to ship them. As someone who enjoys collecting things like LEGO, Pokemon cards, etc... I absolutely love things that I can have multiples of, and that there are many varieties.

I would be more than happy with a low profit margin on these as long as it's actually possible to move them in volume, and from your post it seems plausible. From previous research, it seems like seasonal polybags are always a good thing to pick up... as well as any with unique pieces, or figures that are only found in expensive sets. And then polybags that can be turned into an army (ie Stormtroopers). I guess I will shop around this week and see if I can get about a hundred just to play around with, then maybe dive in completely in a few months if I like the prospects.

Also, I'm guessing it's probably safe to stay away from generic ones? Like that tiger that Toys R Us has right now... ordering 1,000 of them (which they will actually let me do; already got the OK from corporate, lol) would likely be an absolutely terrible idea :) I'll try to focus in licensed sets, seasonal sets, and anything that people on here talk about for now.

Sounds like you have a decent grasp on the concept. Don't jump to far in right away, you don't want to be stuck with a bunch of garbage you can't move. Sounds like it won't be an issue for you though.

Yeah, not too many people want my Gandolf and Harry Potter polys from 2012-2013. I need to end up giving them away as thank you gifts to repeat customers.

6 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Some polys can make you some decent money but the draw for me is that you can move a bunch of product with minimal effort so yeah the profit margin isn't great on most polys but it isn't hard to pack and ship them. Always keep an eye out for stores just dumping polys on a shelf or end cap. Just the other day there was hundreds of stormtrooper sergeant polys just laid on an empty shelf in the lego isle. 2.99 each............easy money!!

*sigh*

I contrast that to my TRU, where I found *one* on the shelf the other day.  Wish I had a pile of them, especially at $2.99.  Like you said, easy money.

Found the following today at Legoland California:

30349 City Sports Car
30471 Creator Helicopter
30373 Nexo Knights Knighton Hyper Cannon
30291 Ninjago Anacondrai Battle Mech
30421 Ninjago Skybound Plane
30272 Star Wars A-Wing Starfighter
30274 Star Wars AT-DP
30303 Super Heroes Joker Bumper Car

• 2 weeks later...

A polybag selling question ... mods, if needed move this to another thread on polys if there is one .....

I did a few polybag bundles which made nice money (for the effort) shipping to Asia. Now all I have left is "leftovers", e.g.:

3x Poe's X-Wing

1x Friends Popstar

3x Cowler Dragon

1x Parrot

4x Nexo Knights Intro Pack

Some of these are nearly worthless, I know. Looking into selling advice - I've tried creating a bundle out of the X-Wing and the Popstar ("Boy/Girl bundle") but no dice for now. I'm toying with the idea of putting all this stuff into one bundle and selling them as a lot. But then again, someone might want just one of the types, and would be turned off by having to buy all the other ones .... So ... does anyone have any experience with selling blended lots and do they work (is there a magic formula)? Or am I better off just listing these one-by-one (and perhaps skipping the listing of Friends Popstar and Nexo Knights intro pack altogether)?

Your opinions are as always valued greatly ....

13 hours ago, TheGallows said:

Not sure where to post this. Not even sure there would be a market for it, buy hey it does say limited edition ;) 

The next issue of Star Wars is due on 10th Feb and will be issue number 8

That falcon is kinda nifty in an odd way. I think i'm more intrigued that they're doing a story on the Death Star when it's already retired in the UK and pretty much gone all around the world.  What is the publication date? Can't be much earlier than September given that Poe's X-wing is shown on there.

43 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

That falcon is kinda nifty in an odd way. I think i'm more intrigued that they're doing a story on the Death Star when it's already retired in the UK and pretty much gone all around the world.  What is the publication date? Can't be much earlier than September given that Poe's X-wing is shown on there.

13 Jan - 9 Feb 2016 according to the label.

On 1/20/2016 at 6:02 AM, Phil B said:

A polybag selling question ... mods, if needed move this to another thread on polys if there is one .....

I did a few polybag bundles which made nice money (for the effort) shipping to Asia. Now all I have left is "leftovers", e.g.:

3x Poe's X-Wing

1x Friends Popstar

3x Cowler Dragon

1x Parrot

4x Nexo Knights Intro Pack

Some of these are nearly worthless, I know. Looking into selling advice - I've tried creating a bundle out of the X-Wing and the Popstar ("Boy/Girl bundle") but no dice for now. I'm toying with the idea of putting all this stuff into one bundle and selling them as a lot. But then again, someone might want just one of the types, and would be turned off by having to buy all the other ones .... So ... does anyone have any experience with selling blended lots and do they work (is there a magic formula)? Or am I better off just listing these one-by-one (and perhaps skipping the listing of Friends Popstar and Nexo Knights intro pack altogether)?

Your opinions are as always valued greatly ....

What I do when I have singles that don't make sense selling one at a time is I bundle these with other sets. So Ninjago Cowler Dragon with any other Ninjago set. Friends Popstar with Friends (or even elves, princess, etc). One thing is you get extra exposure for people looking for that particular item in your single listing. Yes your price will be higher so listing by lowest price won't put you at the top but I have still had success.

• Like 1