Polybags - general discussion

Any polybaggers around here?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a polybag collector?

• I am a serious polybag collector and must have at least one for my personal collection.
    • I am a casual polybag collector and only buy what I like.
    • I do not collect polybags.
  2. 2. Do you invest in polybags?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

4 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

I saw a large bin of new C-3POs 5002948 at my Toys R Us... figured I'd go there this morning for the TRUST discount and pick up 100 or so. I was hoping I could flip them as a single lot for $575 - $600, make a quick $110 profit, and gain $30 in Rewards.  So I got there bright and early, counted them out one-by-one in my basket... and then I saw the price... $5.99 !? Weren't they $3.99 before? Rats.

Yep. Right around when the promotion ended they were $3.99. Then for some ludicrous reason they jacked up the price up to $5.99. I have no clue why they did that. The C-3PO's at my TRU didn't move at all and now all of a sudden the display is gone and they're nowhere to be found. You've got plenty of Elves polybags though. Yuck.

4 hours ago, Sozial said:

I am not really in this Polybag game, is HULK worth getting?

I'm no expert either, but I'm still picking these up when I find them, and can get a discount. For me, that's usually 7 Hulks + 1 free promo for about $29.00.  I like this set because it's TRU exclusive, it's the Hulk (the Hulk is no "Electro")... and it's an actual "set" - a minifigure and a little car he can ride or SMASH. It's not just to pose in a diorama... it's actually fun to play with.  It'd go great next to a Joker Bumper Car... in fact, I think if Lego would come out with an entire line of Super Hero polys that include a minifigure and his own unique "car" (or motorcycle or whatever).. that would be a big hit... sort of along the lines of microfighters, but smaller.

1 hour ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I went to TRU yesterday, not a single Stormtrooper. Seems like they yanked the signs too. They wouldn't sell me any at any point this week, but I bet someone else found a more accommodating employee.

Re: Stormtrooper... my store ran out a few days ago... then got more in (along with more C-3POs, and more Hulks)... so your store may be getting more soon.

To note, I just spotted 30259 Azari's Magic Fire, 30291 Anacondrai Battle Mech, 30305 Spider-Man Super Jumper, 30303 The Joker Bumper Car, 30202 Smoothie Cart, and 30275 TIE Advanced Prototype all at Wal-Mart in one of their middle-of-the-main-aisle cardboard seasonal bin thingies. Each was priced for $3.99 or $3.97.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

To note, I just spotted 30259 Azari's Magic Fire, 30291 Anacondrai Battle Mech, 30305 Spider-Man Super Jumper, 30303 The Joker Bumper Car, 30202 Smoothie Cart, and 30275 TIE Advanced Prototype all at Wal-Mart in one of their middle-of-the-main-aisle cardboard seasonal bin thingies. Each was priced for $3.99 or $3.97.

I saw those on Tuesday. I for forgot to post it when I got home.

I don't remember it. It was just the general target poly dcpi though. I checked it on the tracker while I was in the store and all the stores around me had 250-500+ , so it must be the same as the space rover, racecar, tie fighters....

Checked the reciept just now... It's 204-00-0291

Edited by Clintonjoseph
  • Like 1

A new blog entry was posted today, with all of the polybags listed in one place:

Polybag Availability Update (January 2015)

Thanks for compiling this list, it's very useful.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but the silver centurion is a being giving as a promo for preordering the LEGO Marvel Avengers game that will be released next month. You get it when you get the game.

56819820d5265_ImageUploadedByBrickpicker

• Like 1

On 12/28/2015 at 0:57 AM, Alpinemaps said:

A new blog entry was posted today, with all of the polybags listed in one place:

Polybag Availability Update (January 2015)

Again, thanks for the update!

FWIW, I have a number of Imperial Shuttles, more Go-Kart Racers, and a metric crap ton of Ice Bear Mech's lingering around several local Targets. Can't imagine this is the only area it's true... fairly available, for certain.

I also found 3 Poe X-Wings I snatched up over the weekend but so far these seem rare.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2015 at 2:16 PM, Grynn said:

FWIW, I have a number of Imperial Shuttles, more Go-Kart Racers, and a metric crap ton of Ice Bear Mech's lingering around several local Targets. Can't imagine this is the only area it's true... fairly available, for certain.

Thanks for mentioning it.  I think it's important that people know that these are still out there in some areas, so they can be on the lookout for them. 

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to LEGO investing in general, but especially polybags. I started buying up boxed sets earlier this year because I had some extra income and would rather have a little fun gambling with it than investing in stocks or a savings account. Those seem fairly simple to me... figure out which sets are going EOL soon, grab what I can, and wait. But polybags seem to be a completely different beast.

For starters, it seems difficult to determine stock levels and availability. Most stores seem to use a generic SKU for all of them. The low price also concerns me a bit, as a 10% ROI on a $150 set after a year is fine with me... but a 10% return on a $4 set after a year is hardly worth the effort. Volume would make up for this, but I don't know the market yet.

My question is... should I bother putting in the effort to figure this stuff out? Would it be worthwhile, or should I just continue to focus on box sets? I would be willing to buy hundreds of these per month, but I feel like finding that many in the first place would be a challenge... and even with my retail connections I'm not entirely sure the local stores would let me buy that many, anyway (they usually want me to leave about half of any given product for regular customers).

Is buying 300-500 polybags a month realistic? Is selling that many realistic? Where can I go to start doing research? I see a few links in the beginning of this thread that sounded interesting but they all go to 404 pages.

Some polys can make you some decent money but the draw for me is that you can move a bunch of product with minimal effort so yeah the profit margin isn't great on most polys but it isn't hard to pack and ship them. Always keep an eye out for stores just dumping polys on a shelf or end cap. Just the other day there was hundreds of stormtrooper sergeant polys just laid on an empty shelf in the lego isle. 2.99 each............easy money!!

• Like 1