Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I'll top it.

I list most everything I have and set things I don't want to sell yet at a high price.

Someone with a reputable record just bought a 10188 DS from me for $999.99.  Hasn't paid yet probably won't, $100 in fees I'll have to pay before this gets resolved and credited back... Good times

• Like 1

Just sold a lot of 45 used baseplates on Ebay. I have a 3 day handling period. I usually ship the next day anyway. Instead of messaging me first the guy buys it and then tells me he needs it by Thursday. He paid for the economy shipping. I predict a future issue coming.

​I've had a recent case like this.  I sold a used Mindstorms v2 via eBay buy-it-now, instant payment.  It was pre-packed.  As I'm driving to UPS to ship the item (about 20 minutes after auction close and payment), the buyer replies to my shipping email and says he needs it within 48 hours, could I re-do all the shipping?   I literally turned around half-way to the shipping center, cancelled the UPS Ground service, and re-purchased UPS 2nd Day air.  Additional cost was about $40.  I shipped the item while at the same time sending an email to the buyer for the new amount.  He quickly paid.  Now, here's the bummer.  I didn't get ANY feedback from the guy, despite my e-mails showing the changes, as well as pics of the new shipment and labels, and generally being 100% responsive and quick to his requests.  Cie la Vest.  At least, I accomodated the buyer and knew I wouldn't get negative feedback.   

I'd ship the baseplates 2nd day air and bill the buyer for the difference.  As a seller, do what you can to accomodate buyer requests.  In won't hurt you, and you may be surprised what future business it could bring.

Edited by diablo2112

I'll top it.

I list most everything I have and set things I don't want to sell yet at a high price.

Someone with a reputable record just bought a 10188 DS from me for $999.99.  Hasn't paid yet probably won't, $100 in fees I'll have to pay before this gets resolved and credited back... Good times

​You don't setup your buy-it-now auctions with instant payment required?  For me, that's the biggest advantage of buy-it-now, weeds out all the Lookey-Loo's.  Frankly, instant payment buy-it-now is the only reason I've stayed on eBay.  Non-payment for auctions was reaching 50% for me, totally out of control.

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 2

Here's a new one for me: nearly 1000 transactions as a seller on eBay over the last 10 years, and this is the first time a buyer immediately disputed his Paypal transaction. I've sent a message via eBay stating I noticed the Paypal transaction was in dispute and asked if he'd like to cancel the order. He is an international buyer and I only ship through the GSP, so I'm thinking, perhaps, that was a "oh shite" moment for him after he clicked "buy".

Should I take other steps? Wait for a response? Cancel the eBay order?

I appreciate any feedback this community cares to share.

I bought something from a seller the other.  Here was his positive feedback:

"Thanks for this transaction! The shipping was a little expensive."

Yeah.  Not my fault you decided to send it priority mail instead of the economy mail that you listed in your auction (and that I paid for).  I'll contact eBay and get them to remove that.  I don't want people confusing a purchase with my selling - I usually do free shipping anyway.  Now I know why people have separate buying and selling accounts.

Please read this message I just received and tell me if I'm wrong, but I took that almost as a threat and as if it's his world and not a public site to sell.  As if he's intentionally trying to screw me over if I don't comply.  I found it very offputting and I didn't appreciate it.  

"So how low do you want to go on your lot of 10. I am the other seller and will continue to lower my cost below yours. I have tons of wiggle room, Or we can match at a certain price if you would like then we can just let the customer decide on who they want to purchase from. Also I have loads of stock." 

won't disclose seller.  I sure hope he's not on this site, that would be a shame to act that way. 

Please read this message I just received and tell me if I'm wrong, but I took that almost as a threat and as if it's his world and not a public site to sell.  As if he's intentionally trying to screw me over if I don't comply.  I found it very offputting and I didn't appreciate it.  

"So how low do you want to go on your lot of 10. I am the other seller and will continue to lower my cost below yours. I have tons of wiggle room, Or we can match at a certain price if you would like then we can just let the customer decide on who they want to purchase from. Also I have loads of stock." 

won't disclose seller.  I sure hope he's not on this site, that would be a shame to act that way. 

​Wow. That's ballsy.

This is price manipulation . Report them and they should be shut down or something to that effect 

• Like 6

Report that. I would also block the seller.

Thanks guys, I wrote a very detailed message back showing my displeasure, explaining it and he apologized multiple times in his reply just now.  He said he re-read it and saw how it came off completely wrong.  He has perfect feedback and would hate to get him banned, I do like communication so I'm trying to discuss with him his behavior first and hopefully he learns from that.  Think that is fair? 

Thanks guys, I wrote a very detailed message back showing my displeasure, explaining it and he apologized multiple times in his reply just now.  He said he re-read it and saw how it came off completely wrong.  He has perfect feedback and would hate to get him banned, I do like communication so I'm trying to discuss with him his behavior first and hopefully he learns from that.  Think that is fair? 

I personally don't tolerate price manipulation ...  But that's just me . 

He probably tried to initimidate u and when it didn't work, he is trying to save face . 

• Like 2

I don't think it's a bad idea though to block him. Never know if he buys something from me or I forget his name and I buy something from him.  I clicked on his ebay name but I don't see the option to block user.  where do I find this option? 

I personally don't tolerate price manipulation ...  But that's just me . 

He probably tried to initimidate u and when it didn't work, he is trying to save face . 

​Totally understandable and wouldn't blame you if you reported.  I feel like people make mistakes, maybe he does do that often and I'll never know but I happen to be one person that didn't fall for that crap and quite possible he is either saving face or genuinely feels stupid and bad for it.  

First time it's happened to me ever so was kinda shocking.  

Thanks for the replies! 

I assume he would def know I reported him though and karma can come back to bite me in spite, as he could easily start messing with me down the road.  It opens up a can of worms I don't like.  I can move on either way and no harm was done to me in the end.  I think if he came back in the 2nd message and was like "too bad, i'm doing what I have to do", or something rude again, sure I'd report away!  Like I said, he has perfect feedback on several hundred reviews so it's not someone who's new or has multiple negatives. He made a mistake and I think he honestly feels really bad. 

But yeah, either way, I would like to at least block him if i can figure out how to do that. 

I assume he would def know I reported him though and karma can come back to bite me in spite, as he could easily start messing with me down the road.  It opens up a can of worms I don't like.  I can move on either way and no harm was done to me in the end.  I think if he came back in the 2nd message and was like "too bad, i'm doing what I have to do", or something rude again, sure I'd report away!  Like I said, he has perfect feedback on several hundred reviews so it's not someone who's new or has multiple negatives. He made a mistake and I think he honestly feels really bad. 

But yeah, either way, I would like to at least block him if i can figure out how to do that. 

​I wouldn't report it (since in this case, the seller would know you were the reason) - Trust me, there are some truly scary crazy people out there.

As far as the block - you can go to the bottom of most any page, go to Site Map, then under Sell Seller Activities you will see the block bidder/buyer list.

• Like 1

haha yep I saw that.  It's all good, it's ebay.  It's bound to happen.  At least there aren't 20-30 sellers, there's only like 3-4 of us.  Do whatever you have to do my man.  We will still come out winners regardless on these. 

Edited by DenJ91
spelling
  • Like 1

Big no-no.  eBay insta-ban.   Personally, I'd report it.  This behavior hurts nearly everyone here.  Yeah, he made a mistake.  There are consequences to one's actions.  Believe me, he's done this before.  If he gets away with it time and again, he'll just continue.  I'd report it, and let eBay handle it from here.

• Like 3