Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

The set has not been used as I'm still debating sending it back under the sellers return policy. The money isn't a huge issue, to me it's the principle of paying for shipping when the seller didn't use good business practices and ensuring future customers aren't subjected to the same.

I have never left negative feedback on any of my 200 or so eBay purchases because I'm generally not a vindictive person. Often I will just send a friendly message to tell try and educate the seller for future transactions (although they probably could care less)

There's a big difference between vindictive and leaving feedback a seller deserves.

If they were communicating and apologetic and as someone mentioned above refunding your priority postage, that would be one thing - I'd recommend leaving a positive or nothing in that case.

But this is a seller who is apparently not interested in customer service and is going to have to be brought to be interested in their communication, packaging, and shipping speed, and the best way to help them ;) is by leaving a negative at this point (or after you've tried one more time to communicate).

The reason eBay works as well as it does (with it's flaws, granted) is the buyers can leave actual deserved feedback. This is one of those times.

The only two options, really, are to return for a full refund, or keep the item.

Either way I strongly suggest leaving negative feedback.

With the communication you described, this seller has had enough chances. Others need to know what to expect.

Being honest is more important than being nice!

Get your shipping cost back too, you pay for 3 day service and it sounds like that is not what you received. If they claim USPS took that long that's their issue with USPS and they can try and go after them for a refund.

The seller says the USPS returned the item to her the first time she shipped due to poor packaging. She said she would put it in the mail on 30 Mar for a repeat attempt but didn't actually take it to the post office until 07 APR.

I had this happen too recently

I don't take returns but opened a not as described

Settled a partial refund, but he was a scammer

You can use toolhaus.org to check feedback they left and patterns of negatives

Then I block them, there is a website that has a blacklist of people to block

Maybe we need a brickpicker version

Just a piece of constructive criticism that may help others as well. You do take returns.if a buyer wants to return something they will, and it does not matter what your personal policy is. Ebay trumps that. A good anology would be how fed law trumps state law. You are selling yourself short on any type of discount by not offering at minimum a 14 day return policy.
  • Like 2

Leave negative feedback, just be honest.

"Paid for priority shipping. Arrived 22 days later. Poor communication why"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

Agree with this, 100%, though if the item was as described and otherwise ok, I'd make the feedback neutral.

Anyone else block sellers you've left a neutral/negative for to prevent them from buying from you and retaliating?

Agree with this, 100%, though if the item was as described and otherwise ok, I'd make the feedback neutral.

Anyone else block sellers you've left a neutral/negative for to prevent them from buying from you and retaliating?

Sometimes, but they can just buy with spouse account. I have been tempted to do that to someone here who was a complete jerk, they would have had no clue. Decided against the karma, but still blocked them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

Hey guys,

First off, this is my very first post on the forums, so hello to all and please go easy on me. I'm in a bit of a predicament and don't know where to look on the forums for an answer. Here it goes:

I am wanting to sell my sealed Taj Mahal 10189 set. I've had an eBay account for close to 10 years now, however I have never actually listed anything to sell; I have always been the buyer. So I follow the steps to sell the set and when I go to list it, I can't. Why? Because as a new seller I am limited to selling a maximum amount of $1000CAD worth of goods a month. 

What can I do? Are there alternatives to eBay, or could someone point me to the right thread to post my item for sale? Thanks.

Hey guys,

First off, this is my very first post on the forums, so hello to all and please go easy on me. I'm in a bit of a predicament and don't know where to look on the forums for an answer. Here it goes:

I am wanting to sell my sealed Taj Mahal 10189 set. I've had an eBay account for close to 10 years now, however I have never actually listed anything to sell; I have always been the buyer. So I follow the steps to sell the set and when I go to list it, I can't. Why? Because as a new seller I am limited to selling a maximum amount of $1000CAD worth of goods a month. 

What can I do? Are there alternatives to eBay, or could someone point me to the right thread to post my item for sale? Thanks.

Welcome! You can sell it here on the Brick Classifieds.

Hey guys,

You can also try selling a few small items on eBay and getting some selling experience, then list your Taj. Or just call ebay and ask them to raise your limit.

Hey guys,

I would establish a reputation with whatever marketplace you want to sell at first, before offloading 10189. Bricklink is the biggest alternative, then there's Brickowl and the most recent Brick Classifieds. Well, of course, there's Amazon. I suppose you could try Fulfilled By Amazon (although, I wouldn't recommend it for one set of this caliber).

Edited by minicoopers11

First off, wow guys! Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the very helpful info! I have put my Taj Mahal up for sale on Brick Classifieds. I am not a collector, and this is the only set I have so unfortunately I have nothing smaller to sell at the moment to boast my reputation as a seller. I'm just a guy who loves Lego. Bought the set with the full intention of building it but life got in the way. Now I'm a student in university for the next 5 years so I figured why not sell it to a serious collector or enthusiast. If anyone is interested in it, feel free to message me. More importantly, if there are more tips, tricks, and info about the world of Lego collecting, I would really love to hear it. Thanks everyone once again and I look forward to slowly becoming a member of this wonderful community!

Man I bought another lego set off ebay and again it wasn't packaged well!!!  They put it in a cardboard box this time at least but the box was the same size vertically and horizontally as the lego box with no padding and the box arrived squished in both directions.  From now on whenever I buy something I'm going to put in the comments to please package the lego box with padding so it doesn't arrive damaged!  

• Like 1

Yet another eBay fruitcake.  I sold a Craigslist lot at NR, full auction with the text at the bottom of this post. It includes 12 pictures which showed the as-sold condition of the kits (yes, they need cleaning).   It sold to an overseas buyer via GSP.  I got a note via eBay today saying I needed to provide a partial refund since the kits were "dirty" and a few were missing parts.  I repeated what the ad said, below.  He wrote back saying I had to give a partial refund.  I stated I would not do so, but would accept a return of the item for a full refund.  I will not be extorted.  I think my offer of a full refund is more than fair.  Much more, see the text.  He simple wrote for a third time, demanding partial refund.  I haven't written back.  If he does, I'll simply ask that he open a case with eBay and let them resolve it.   Just venting here.  Thanks.

---------

auction text:

"This is an estate purchase, and includes a massive amount of Star Wars kits and minifigs.  Many rare.  Most kits have instructions, see pictures.  Kits are very dusty, and will require cleaning.  I'll carefully bag each kit to keep parts separate, but otherwise this lot is sold as-is.  I've taken detailed pics so you can see the complete contents of this lot.  The seller said he had over $2000 invested in Lego kits; many of these minifigs sell for $8/ea; there's over 130 in this lot.

Not shown in pictures, theres also a small tub of extra parts, and this might include anything that might be missing in the kits.  The one non-Star Wars kit is the Troll Warship, and it appears to be complete with dragon, trolls, and sails in good condition.  Please looks at the pictures carefully, this lot is sold as-is and you'll receive everything in the pics.  I'm listing this as a 7-day auction with no reserve.  High bidder takes it all.  

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 2

Yet another eBay fruitcake.  I sold a Craigslist lot at NR, full auction with the text at the bottom of this post. It includes 12 pictures which showed the as-sold condition of the kits (yes, they need cleaning).   It sold to an overseas buyer via GSP.  I got a note via eBay today saying I needed to provide a partial refund since the kits were "dirty" and a few were missing parts.  I repeated what the ad said, below.  He wrote back saying I had to give a partial refund.  I stated I would not do so, but would accept a return of the item for a full refund.  I will not be extorted.  I think my offer of a full refund is more than fair.  Much more, see the text.  He simple wrote for a third time, demanding partial refund.  I haven't written back.  If he does, I'll simply ask that he open a case with eBay and let them resolve it.   Just venting here.  Thanks.

---------

auction text:

"This is an estate purchase, and includes a massive amount of Star Wars kits and minifigs.  Many rare.  Most kits have instructions, see pictures.  Kits are very dusty, and will require cleaning.  I'll carefully bag each kit to keep parts separate, but otherwise this lot is sold as-is.  I've taken detailed pics so you can see the complete contents of this lot.  The seller said he had over $2000 invested in Lego kits; many of these minifigs sell for $8/ea; there's over 130 in this lot.

Not shown in pictures, theres also a small tub of extra parts, and this might include anything that might be missing in the kits.  The one non-Star Wars kit is the Troll Warship, and it appears to be complete with dragon, trolls, and sails in good condition.  Please looks at the pictures carefully, this lot is sold as-is and you'll receive everything in the pics.  I'm listing this as a 7-day auction with no reserve.  High bidder takes it all.  

​I would report him to ebay. He probably knew what he was gonna do the minute he paid you.

• Like 2

---------

auction text:

​I don't know how well it will go since thrice in your text you alluded to "complete contents", "include anything that might be missing" and "appears to be complete", an overseas buyer may have a language barrier & have taken your text literally.  Ebay will likely initially be on their side since they are the buyer.  "dusty" and "dirty" doesn't necessarily mean the same thing to everyone - dust can easily be blown off while gunked-up & grungy dirty is quite different so you've left allot to interpretation that depends on the experience of the buyer, if they are low FB or not familiar with Lego purchase descriptions it's entirely plausible they expected better that what you alluded too, "will require cleaning" - well how much cleaning? a little light dusting or thorough scrubbing... your text is vague but yet seems quite promotional... it should be assumed most buyers only lightly read the descriptions & key in on the buzz words - it's always to their detriment & they should always know better but that's just the way it is,  it's always best to be as precise in your descriptions as possible & under promise & over deliver.  

Unfortunately it's likely ebay will take the buyer's perception of what they received or how they interpreted the text over yours, but Best of luck in the outcome anyway, hope some amicable can be worked out without any FB trauma.

Man I bought another lego set off ebay and again it wasn't packaged well!!!  They put it in a cardboard box this time at least but the box was the same size vertically and horizontally as the lego box with no padding and the box arrived squished in both directions.  From now on whenever I buy something I'm going to put in the comments to please package the lego box with padding so it doesn't arrive damaged!  

​I've had buyers request good packaging for items I sell on eBay, not just LEGO but other items as well. I, however, already pack things really well. After receiving boxes as you have described all damaged from regular retailers (wal mart, toys r us and amazon) I have decided that for customer satisfaction I will always package the items well. What I don't get is that packing boxes like that doesn't meet the insurance claim requirements to file for shipping damages with the major shippers (FedEx, UPS).