Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I have been buying and selling on ebay since 1999.  I have had my share of scammers.  I have learned that ebay does side with the buyers most of the time but as a seller, you have to protect yourself too.  Taking exact pictures of the item, pictures of the package before it was sent, a picture of the weight of an item if it was sealed, etc all help to deter although does not prevent scammers.  As a small timer, I only have like two to three items for sale on ebay at one time, I can put the extra effort into it. 

Not really a bad experience coz the buyer has been communicating... but somewhat feels like a fruitcake case to me.

Buyer purchased through GSP. The item was shipped out a week ago from me and has arrived at the shipping center and currently eBay is handling it. The buyer for some interesting yet unknown reason wanted to escalate/open a case not against me but just to check how the package is being processed by eBay. I had to take time explaining what I think the process is to him and said that I didn't even think it should get to his country yet given the time frame unless he paid for expedited shipping to eBay. A week to foreign countires? USPS sometimes doesn't even deliver that soon in US! What is so interesting is that the buyer has close to 800 positive feedbacks and you would have expected those buyers know better. Well... maybe not 100% of time. lol

Quick question about eBay selling.  Is it allowed (by eBay policy) to offer inducements for prompt payment at auction end?  Something like, "I will include a sealed set XXX to the winner if payment is made within 24 hours of auction end....".   I have a large Lego lot auction ending tomorrow, and I'd be more than happy to include a sweetener to motivate the winner to make payment.  

Don't think so, I offer a random free polybag if auction closes over X amount, or if people buy more than one listing w free shipping I'll throw in a polybag

BTW hit up target day after easter and scoop them up a at 50% off so you have a stash for deals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

This note is for sellers... I just received a minifig in a manila envelope. It was at least sent with first class package shipping, but no padding, no nothing. Just a minifig with her tool in an envelope. Paint was scraped from the face and head piece and the envelope looked like it was rammed through a sorting machine.

When I ship minifigs, I always include a small craft-sized plastic zip bag and padded mailer. I thought this was standard. Please take care of your customers so they will become repeat customers. I know cutting corners to save money seems like a good idea, but it's worth a few extra pennies/order for padded mailers.

• Like 4

This note is for sellers... I just received a minifig in a manila envelope. It was at least sent with first class package shipping, but no padding, no nothing. Just a minifig with her tool in an envelope. Paint was scraped from the face and head piece and the envelope looked like it was rammed through a sorting machine.

When I ship minifigs, I always include a small craft-sized plastic zip bag and padded mailer. I thought this was standard. Please take care of your customers so they will become repeat customers. I know cutting corners to save money seems like a good idea, but it's worth a few extra pennies/order for padded mailers.

Yeah, like an idiot I sent a Simpsons Milhouse minifigure like that loose in a regular envelope and guess what? It was delivered to the buyer with a small hole in the envelope with Milhouse's head missing. I don't know what I was thinking when I did that. I learned my lesson from that for sure. I'll never do that again.

---lowest price buy it now----

Hey, will you take $13? ($19.99 plus shipping). My son only saved up $13, I can pay for shipping. Thanks

Seems legit?.....buyer has 5700+ feedback, buy him the damn set with your own money!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

"Thank you for the offer, but this is our best price at this time."

My standard response. ;)

• Like 2

What's so bad about it ?  I was expecting to see pictures of VW Camper on porcelain throne, but that counter looked cleaner than the microwaves at work

OMG! Canadians!!!

One buyer contacted me saying not receiving her package yet. I thought the package was delayed and made some phone calls to USPS. But then I checked the dates... as of today only 8 business days has passed. She did not pay for an expedited service so what's the hurry? Even USPS International Priority Mail takes 6-10 business days and no guaranteed time frame for the first-class mail. She only got 3 feedback and claimed she has bought stuff from US many times and never took this long. Oh well, maybe so, just not on eBay. She said she's giving it till this Friday, OMG, in 2 days? So she thinks the notorious USPS is god now? Yeah, this one is a minifig so I just mailed it myself without GSP.

OMG! Canadians!!!

OMG! Canadians!!!

One buyer contacted me saying not receiving her package yet. I thought the package was delayed and made some phone calls to USPS. But then I checked the dates... as of today only 8 business days has passed. She did not pay for an expedited service so what's the hurry? Even USPS International Priority Mail takes 6-10 business days and no guaranteed time frame for the first-class mail. She only got 3 feedback and claimed she has bought stuff from US many times and never took this long. Oh well, maybe so, just not on eBay. She said she's giving it till this Friday, OMG, in 2 days? So she thinks the notorious USPS is god now? Yeah, this one is a minifig so I just mailed it myself without GSP.

OMG! Canadians!!!

USPS' reputation is well known in Canada as well ;)

Also, this is another reason to conduct all of your business at your local TRU parking lot.

Edited by redghostx
  • Like 2