Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Okay, not a fruitcake per se, but a fruity situation. I sold some Bionicle promos/paperweights on eBay. I dropped the package at the PO for shipping yesterday, and one of our fine postal employees must have scanned it as delivered because, low and behold, it shows as delivered yesterday before it shows as arriving at the postal sort facility. Brilliant, right?

Anyway, the buyer opened a case because, perhaps, I listed the wrong tracking #. As most of us know, tracking uploads automatically when purchased through eBay/Paypal.

I'd like to know how well I handled this situation. Here was my response to the buyer this morning:

Good morning, and sorry for the tracking issue. The tracking number is correct as it is the one provided automatically by USPS when shipped via eBay, and I used your validated Paypal address (California) when shipping. Ebay gathers this information automatically. It seems that the item was improperly scanned at the post office in Lawrence, KS (where I ship from). If you ll notice the times on tracking list, the Lawrence time is earlier than Kansas City. Items always go to the sort facility in Kansas City from Lawrence, so the times are correct, but the information (that your package was delivered yesterday afternoon) is not. In fact, items from the Lawrence office are not usually scanned until the late afternoon/evening.

I will check with USPS, but your package should be on the way. I am happy to send a full refund if it does not arrive in the typical 2-4 day window for most first class packages. Let me know if this is acceptable or how you would like to proceed otherwise.

Okay, not a fruitcake per se, but a fruity situation. I sold some Bionicle promos/paperweights on eBay. I dropped the package at the PO for shipping yesterday, and one of our fine postal employees must have scanned it as delivered because, low and behold, it shows as delivered yesterday before it shows as arriving at the postal sort facility. Brilliant, right?

Anyway, the buyer opened a case because, perhaps, I listed the wrong tracking #. As most of us know, tracking uploads automatically when purchased through eBay/Paypal.

I'd like to know how well I handled this situation. Here was my response to the buyer this morning:

Good morning, and sorry for the tracking issue. The tracking number is correct as it is the one provided automatically by USPS when shipped via eBay, and I used your validated Paypal address (California) when shipping. Ebay gathers this information automatically. It seems that the item was improperly scanned at the post office in Lawrence, KS (where I ship from). If you ll notice the times on tracking list, the Lawrence time is earlier than Kansas City. Items always go to the sort facility in Kansas City from Lawrence, so the times are correct, but the information (that your package was delivered yesterday afternoon) is not. In fact, items from the Lawrence office are not usually scanned until the late afternoon/evening.

I will check with USPS, but your package should be on the way. I am happy to send a full refund if it does not arrive in the typical 2-4 day window for most first class packages. Let me know if this is acceptable or how you would like to proceed otherwise.

Call eBay.

• Like 1

Someone who kept getting auto rejected best offers for a $28 listing (I think I have it set to reject under $20) asked me if I would take $10 for the item with free shipping. Kicker is, he is from Puerto Rico to boot.

I don't do this for free

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

Someone who kept getting auto rejected best offers for a $28 listing (I think I have it set to reject under $20) asked me if I would take $10 for the item with free shipping. Kicker is, he is from Puerto Rico to boot.

I don't do this for free

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

...but, but, but, he has 6 broken legs.

• Like 2

Got another one of those 'THE PACKAGE WAS OPENED AND PARTS WERE MISSING SO I WANT A REFUND' Lego con's yesterday.  It makes me want to drive to their house and punch them in the face.

I weigh all my sealed boxes, and take a photo of the paypal invoice + weight + box.  Don't tell your buyer you have this, just ask them to weigh your package when they claim missing parts.  Foils this scam pretty well.

Got another one of those 'THE PACKAGE WAS OPENED AND PARTS WERE MISSING SO I WANT A REFUND' Lego con's yesterday.  It makes me want to drive to their house and punch them in the face.

Are you sure the lego set was not opened or missing pieces?

I weigh all my sealed boxes, and take a photo of the paypal invoice + weight + box.  Don't tell your buyer you have this, just ask them to weigh your package when they claim missing parts.  Foils this scam pretty well.

^^^ This will do absolutely no good in an ebay or paypal claim. Buyers will not cooperate in weighing the package if they are scamming or not and this "proof" will ultimately be useless in any ebay claim or case. If a buyer claims there is something wrong; missing pieces etc in ebays eyes there is it dont matter if its completely sealed AFA with a COA and all your weights, videos, special upc numbers and secret tape etc wont mean a thing...

Edited by Brickshopper

^^^ This will do absolutely no good in an ebay or paypal claim. Buyers will not cooperate in weighing the package if they are scamming or not and this "proof" will ultimately be useless in any ebay claim or case. If a buyer claims there is something wrong; missing pieces etc in ebays eyes there is it dont matter if its completely sealed AFA with a COA and all your weights, videos, special upc numbers and secret tape etc wont mean a thing...

Pure speculation on your part.  ANY evidence in your favor will help.  The most important thing as a seller when dealing with an eBay claim is your past reputation, feedback, and sales numbers.  I have had a scam buyer file a claim.  I simply showed eBay pictures of my item when I sold it, a picture of the package, tracking info (which showed "delivered" and they looked at my $100,000+ in eBay sales and dismissed the claim.  In this case, I took photos of my item and package on shipping, and it saved my butt.  Sorry, but anything you can gather to support your side of such a story works in your favor.  It will do AN IMMENSE AMOUNT OF GOOD for your case if and when it arise.  You're welcome to your opinion on this, but its just an opinion.  I've dealt with such a case via eBay, and I won't be without supporting evidence as a seller ever again.

Edited by diablo2112

Pure speculation on your part.  ANY evidence in your favor will help.  The most important thing as a seller when dealing with an eBay claim is your past reputation, feedback, and sales numbers.  I have had a scam buyer file a claim.  I simply showed eBay pictures of my item when I sold it, a picture of the package, tracking info (which showed "delivered" and they looked at my $100,000+ in eBay sales and dismissed the claim.  In this case, I took photos of my item and package on shipping, and it saved my butt.  Sorry, but anything you can gather to support your side of such a story works in your favor.  It will do AN IMMENSE AMOUNT OF GOOD for your case if and when it arise.  You're welcome to your opinion on this, but its just an opinion.  I've dealt with such a case via eBay, and I won't be without supporting evidence as a seller ever again.

I assume you are talking about an item not received claim because if it was an item not described claim or a request for a return because of SNAD then the buyer will win this request almost all the time regardless of what proof you think you have..I do have proof that ebay will force you to accept a return if buyer claims the item is not as described regardless of what "proof" you think you have...A picture prior to shipping an item will do Absolutely NO GOOD in a claim and it is virtually what we all do when we sell an item on ebay upload a picture of the item anyway, the weight of the item prior to shipping will do even less good in a real SNAD case.. As a buyer If i received a box that did not contain the correct items a picture of the outside of the box or weight provided by the seller prior to shipping should not "win" the case for the seller I would expect to be able to return whatever I received as part of the money back guarantee...If any one feels protected against a true scammer on ebay then you are very naive.

Oh and ebay and paypal certainly do not care about your history reputation or feedback numbers in a case as members with 10,000+ feedback with 99.9% positive will still lose to a 0 feedback buyer... if you have done 100,000 plus sales on ebay you should know this.

Edited by Brickshopper

It was a SW microfighter that was not opened.  I don't have any open Lego boxes except for the ones my son plays with.  I have mine in a different area completely that he cannot access (under lock and key twice over).  I do check the boxes before I send it out to make sure it's sealed.  This person had a 93% rating on eBay with about 50 transactions...I should have known.

if you have done 100,000 plus sales on ebay you should know this.

No need for insults.  I have most-certainly sold $100,000+ on eBay since 2007.  Would you care for a screen shot of my seller's dashboard?  We'll just agree to disagree on this issue.  My few extra steps of weighing packages and taking pictures are part of my routine.  I'm setup to do it, and it costs me nothing.   I simply don't see a downside at this point.  C'est la vest.

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 1

I assume you are talking about an item not received claim because if it was an item not described claim or a request for a return because of SNAD then the buyer will win this request almost all the time regardless of what proof you think you have..I do have proof that ebay will force you to accept a return if buyer claims the item is not as described regardless of what "proof" you think you have...A picture prior to shipping an item will do Absolutely NO GOOD in a claim and it is virtually what we all do when we sell an item on ebay upload a picture of the item anyway, the weight of the item prior to shipping will do even less good in a real SNAD case.. As a buyer If i received a box that did not contain the correct items a picture of the outside of the box or weight provided by the seller prior to shipping should not "win" the case for the seller I would expect to be able to return whatever I received as part of the money back guarantee...If any one feels protected against a true scammer on ebay then you are very naive.

Oh and ebay and paypal certainly do not care about your history reputation or feedback numbers in a case as members with 10,000+ feedback with 99.9% positive will still lose to a 0 feedback buyer... if you have done 100,000 plus sales on ebay you should know this.

Amen to this... having experienced once myself selling EV to a Japanese reseller, I learned my lesson.

eBay and Paypal's seller protection is a joke, simply creating the delusion that they care but in fact they don't give a damn about it once buyers file 'not as described'. I had my pictures sent in. They still ruled that the seller could return the item and I had to pay for the INTERNATIONAL shipping on a 6-lb set without the buyer giving any proof of 'item not as described', simply took his words. FedEx rate is over $200 so it implied that I should just give the set to that scammer for free! Well, luckily I found the Japanese postal office rate cheaper... and didn't lose too much money afterwards.

At the end I was pretty frustrated and angry talking to the case rep, who is ridiculously harsh. I told him so eBay's seller protection means nothing even the buyer took away some stuff and he simply said, 'every business has to take risk'...... there you go. And I replied 'yeah, we took risk, but you don't.'

lol

Edited by cissi

My condolences on all these bad seller experiences on eBay.  The very few buyer-related problems I've had have been easily settled, the few times eBay got involved, they ruled in my (the seller's) favor.  I've never had a case where eBay forced me to give a refund or accept a return.  I guess it depends on the individual case.  I have had my share of scam buyers; nearly all of the time, they go away once they see I've done my homework and have additional documentation.   This is an element of doing extra steps (liking weighing packages and taking pictures) that hasn't been discussed: it DOES act as a deterrent to some (potential) scam buyers.  Once they find you've got this info, they go away.

On the contrary, I've opened a small number of cases against sellers with problems. Last October,  I purchased an expensive camera gimbal system, and found out 2 weeks later that it was missing a key part.  I contacted the seller, he admitted the part was missing, said he would send it.  It never got sent.  I contacted eBay, the seller then claimed it was shipped.  I provided emails from the seller to eBay, didn't matter.  They closed the case, and said I had no recourse.   Pretty much every interaction I've had with eBay in disputes have been resolved in the SELLERS favor.  Maybe my situations aren't the norm.  YMMV.

Edited by diablo2112

Some folks seem to know exactly how eBay, Lego, and the rest of the world works, despite the contrary experiences of others. My ex-wife was like this.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to keep in mind that for the most part, you are dealing with other PEOPLE in this business. Like eBay CS reps. Case in point:

I spoke with one weeks ago, very distinctive voice (difficult to understand) and personality. Despite being somewhat formal, this person helped in removing a shipping defect from my selling account and told me, at the time, that another could be removed (low "item as described" rating) if I could get confirmation from the buyer that it was entered by mistake - which I suggested, considering that the buyer had left enthusiastic positive feedback.

A while after I got the (friendly and helpful) buyer to reply that it had indeed been an error they weren't aware of, and the item was "perfect in every way", I called back. A different CS rep looked at it and told me the defect would be removed.  After two weeks, it wasn't.

So I called again and talked to the original eBay CS rep (in this story) again. Guess what? I was told, quite firmly, that there was no possible way to remove that low rating, because it was tied to the buyer's feedback, blah blah blah... I could tell I was simply being stonewalled. I didn't bother pointing out the conversation from weeks prior, I simply asked for a manager because I did not feel like I was being assisted as a customer. This person attempted to argue with me, quite strongly, for several minutes, professionally, but very stubbornly. I had to ask about four times for a supervisor, was put on hold, then quite a while later, told they were too busy and I could expect a call back. They refused to give me a time frame. I shrugged it off for the time being.

The NEXT morning, I get a call from a supervisor. I was busy at work and told them I didn't have time to talk but could try to call back in about 15 minutes. Paraphrasing, I was told, "I just wanted to quickly let you know that the defect you called about has been removed from your account, and please let us know if there is anything else you need. Thank you for using eBay."

I also told a story earlier in this thread where I dealt with negative feedback left because the buyer decided AFTER their son opened a polybag that it was too small for the price. Despite being told over and over that honest feedback can not be removed, you certainly won't find it on my profile.

Be persistent when you know you are right. Be as polite and professional as possible. Don't assume you know everything, or that everything you are told is correct.

That said, I do agree that eBay is set up to hose the seller when buyers behave poorly in general. But it certainly is not the 100% all or nothing dead to rights swear on my grandmother's grave scenario that some here make it out to be.

• Like 3

Be persistent when you know you are right. Be as polite and professional as possible. Don't assume you know everything, or that everything you are told is correct.

That said, I do agree that eBay is set up to hose the seller when buyers behave poorly in general. But it certainly is not the 100% all or nothing dead to rights swear on my grandmother's grave scenario that some here make it out to be.

I think with your experience we all agree that the eBay CS reps aren't really 'sync'd'. I haven't dealt with any cases before that one I mentioned so I was a bit afraid at my end. I simply called in, wanted to check in at my every step of the way, was told many many different things over 10+ phone calls. At the end, the case-appeal agent simply did not want to acknowledge the different stories I was INSTRUCTED TO DO by other eBay reps (implying those were all wrong or inconsistent) and insisted his decision was right... So I didn't want to waste more of my time, hung up, and call back again to a different department and got my fees back. lol

it was a rofl sort-of-triumph moment for me.