Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

30 minutes ago, Jimking23 said:

I’m trying to unload my Tumblers and I’m working with a tight margin. $6 plus expensive ship doesn’t leave we with much. 

But it does give you cash to invest into something else. At the very least, it frees up some space. Just my $0.02. ? 

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimking23 said:

I’m always amazed when a buyer is broken by 2%. I have a set list for $270. The buyer offers 6 dollars less then my asking price. I explained that because I would have to ship cross country I would need full price. Cue the crickets, haven’t heard back.

Buyer's remorse kicked in...

I'm experiencing that now w/ an offer I made and now the counteroffer difference is $4 on a $50-ish set....but I'm realizing that I didn't "really" want the set even at the reduced price...or at least I want another set more.

I haven't been at it long...but I figured out that if I decline a "reasonable offer (within 5%)" they usually don't come back. I recognize the potential for insult.

• Like 1

If you’re listing obo but can’t factor in a 5% loss over listing price....why are you bothering with obo?

Not specifically directed at you but to anyone in general.

If I list an item as Or Best Offer, I’ve already calculated and accepted the sale at 15% less than my asking price. Makes it simple when those -5% offers come in. Accepted. :)

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

If you’re listing obo but can’t factor in a 5% loss over listing price....why are you bothering with obo?

If I list an item as Or Best Offer, I’ve already calculated and accepted the sale at 15% less than my asking price. Makes it simple when those -5% offers come in. Accepted. :)

some good points.  I'm still figuring this stuff out. Just about $1500 in sales last month. I only do a few listings a week and I still waver on the sell price...sometimes I won't take a penny less and other times I'm flexible...wish i could be more objective but will hopefully get better w/ every sale.

I typically reserve obo for my bulk lot Used sets listings. Often buy-ins are 50-75% off ‘market rate’ with those sets, so you can factor in a pretty large margin and still make out with healthy profit. Sealed sets with specific purchase prices warrant a stricter strategy on listing prices to guarantee good margins. My approach anyway. :)

10 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I use to hate obo. I found that after a week or so EBay would switch my fixed price to best offer with a very low auto decline. I decided to use it to my advantage, I always list fixed price with a best offer very close to my asking price. This stops EBay from messing with my listing, gives me options when shipping is going to be expensive. This is not a issue on small to medium size sets. I always intend to sell at my asking price but, few dollars less wouldn’t stop the sale normally. Saving $20 on shipping is approx 10% of buy in. 

5 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

I noticed the same. When you are working on a listing it defaults to OBO on fixed price listings. I changed it to off and listed them. Next morning I got three offers waiting for me. Went to look at the listings and they were OBO. 

I can confirm the same. If you check your email, eBay should say something along the lines of "Looks like your item isn't selling, we helped make it so your item would sell easier...blah blah blah" or something of the like.

It's annoying af.

I noticed the change this past autumn. I usually don’t sell much during the summer months. When I started listing In late September, early October I ran into it.  You can use it to your advantage. There are many times a counter offer is accepted and everyone is happy.

Edited by Jimking23

Guest TabbyBoy

eBay should stop messing and just leave us to make changes. Another bugbear was GSP being enabled without my permission and I had to ship a set to Russia - luckily it got to the buyer, a lot don't.

eBay... at least have the courtesy to ASK FOR PERMISSION before making unnecessary and dangerous changes, we don't need all your confusing crap!

1 hour ago, mizeur said:

If your listings are getting changed to OBO, were you posting them using the app?

If your listings have been unchanged, are you not using the app?

I always list through the app which later changed my listing. I never list through the website.