Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

a buyer with zero feedback (account created in 2019) bought something from me via BIN (a $55 toy), to ship to some forwarding agent in Los Angeles - they made the purchase at 5:23 PM and then at 5:25 I got a cancelation request.  I honored the cancellation but now I am wondering if this was some kinda scam or phishing attempt?  Any alarm bells go off with this?  

a buyer with zero feedback (account created in 2019) bought something from me via BIN (a $55 toy), to ship to some forwarding agent in Los Angeles - they made the purchase at 5:23 PM and then at 5:25 I got a cancelation request.  I honored the cancellation but now I am wondering if this was some kinda scam or phishing attempt?  Any alarm bells go off with this?  

Scams don’t cancel right away...

This is likely a guest account operating in Asia using a drop shipper address on the West Coast who bought an item on accident, then canceled.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

Scams don’t cancel right away...

This is likely a guest account operating in Asia using a drop shipper address on the West Coast who bought an item on accident, then canceled.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

I still find it so weird when people cancel an order so fast. It’s not like 1-Clicking on Amazon. You have ample opportunities to review before finalizing an order on eBay.

38 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

I still find it so weird when people cancel an order so fast. It’s not like 1-Clicking on Amazon. You have ample opportunities to review before finalizing an order on eBay.

Why is this unusual. No one reads anymore and ebay enables it. The 1st line in my listing states i am ttaveling amd unable to ship for 1 week. Someone BIN and then cancels when i tell them again on the shipping delay.

I blame ebay. Its the internet and buyers will ALWAYS buy spontaneously....a simple way to read the sellers personal description...instead of having to click or scroll to it would prevent a lot of misunderstandings.

This is the new death-by-a-1000-cuts scam. 100 cancellations to go and that $0.30 PayPal transaction fee will have eaten up all your profit ...

59 minutes ago, Phil B said:
2 hours ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

This is the new death-by-a-1000-cuts scam. 100 cancellations to go and that $0.30 PayPal transaction fee will have eaten up all your profit ...

haha that sounds like a nightmare

2 hours ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

this scammer seems so seller friendly... 

1 hour ago, Phil B said:
3 hours ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

Paypal charges 2.9%+$0.30 per transaction. Currently, if you need to refund a buyer or donor for any reason then Paypal keeps the $0.30, but they refund the 2.9% fee. Under the new terms effective may 7th they will no longer refund the 2.9% fee.

43 minutes ago, river41 said:

Paypal charges 2.9%+$0.30 per transaction. Currently, if you need to refund a buyer or donor for any reason then Paypal keeps the $0.30, but they refund the 2.9% fee. Under the new terms effective may 7th they will no longer refund the 2.9% fee.

Can't wait for eBay managed payments and their $20 chargeback fee. That won't be ripe for abuse at all.

11 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Why is this unusual. No one reads anymore and ebay enables it. The 1st line in my listing states i am ttaveling amd unable to ship for 1 week. Someone BIN and then cancels when i tell them again on the shipping delay.

I blame ebay. Its the internet and buyers will ALWAYS buy spontaneously....a simple way to read the sellers personal description...instead of having to click or scroll to it would prevent a lot of misunderstandings.

Honestly, if I am an average Ebay user, if I see a new item, I'm not sure I would read the description. I most definitely would not expect a 1 week delay in shipping it.

Why don't you cancel your listings and then relist when you can actually ship the items?

Honestly, if I am an average Ebay user, if I see a new item, I'm not sure I would read the description. I most definitely would not expect a 1 week delay in shipping it.
Why don't you cancel your listings and then relist when you can actually ship the items?
I change shipping times as well and push them out when I go on vacation. If someone purchases one of my items I message them to make sure that they are ok with the shipping delay. I do this instead of canceling listings so I don't lose my watchers.

But if on May 7th PayPal is going to start keeping the 2.9% fee on refunds I will probably start canceling listings when I go on future vacations.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Maybe just make all of your listing titles, "LEGO ITEM: NEW? USED? - READ DESCRIPTION." Or, instead of making a buyer have a certain level of feedback to buy from you, you can ask for a literacy level. 

I haven't had any issues with this so far, and I work hard to be concise but accurate in my descriptions, but I'm sure it will happen eventually. 

2 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

I change shipping times as well and push them out when I go on vacation. If someone purchases one of my items I message them to make sure that they are ok with the shipping delay. I do this instead of canceling listings so I don't lose my watchers.

But if on May 7th PayPal is going to start keeping the 2.9% fee on refunds I will probably start canceling listings when I go on future vacations.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

One nice reason to have an eBay store, vacation settings make all that hassle go away.

16 hours ago, river41 said:

So is it time to consider other forms of payments? If so which one is better?

Guest TabbyBoy

I now accept credit cards via Worldpay portal (0.9% fee) and have now disabled PayPal. I also offer bank transfer and buyers get 2.5% off for this (no risk of chargeback). Cash still King for big sets and job lots.

8 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

Was not a new item...so description kinda mandatory read. 

There us no good option here.

Entending shipping dates also assumes buyer will READ. Basically anything outside of norm is subject to a higher camcellation rate. Is what it is.

Updated terms of sale going into each ebay post:

"If you decide to cancel a sale after payment, or elect to return an item, 2.9% of the sale price will be withheld to cover Paypal transaction fees, which are nonrefundable and really, not my *&%%ing problem, but I'm certain you'll see fit to make it my problem, that's why this run-on sentence has been left in 50 pt font, bolded, and colored crimson, so that when you call eBay and complain the underpaid rep from India will be able to easily see that it is indeed unlikely that you were unaware of my policy." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RunMan3 said:

So is it time to consider other forms of payments? If so which one is better?

1 hour ago, lazuli16 said:

Google Pay is going to start being a option this month. I'm not sure what the fees are associated with that option. 

eBay is implementing its own payment processing. Currently rolling out on an invitation-only basis. Google Pay will only be available through there as Apple Pay currently is.