Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

3 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

I concur with this.

On the other hand, I've had people pay full price then send a message saying how much their special needs child is going to enjoy the set. I usually toss in a couple polybags related to the set that was purchased.

this is much more likely to get me to throw in something extra as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this message today. Sorry to make you all jealous with this sweet business proposition I received.

"HI I'd like these for free Cuase im making a review video on YouTube to get Subcribers Thanks. I Will Talk about the Figures and unbox them in a later video Thanks and plz reply"

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, dmc said:

Got this message today. Sorry to make you all jealous with this sweet business proposition I received.

"HI I'd like these for free Cuase im making a review video on YouTube to get Subcribers Thanks. I Will Talk about the Figures and unbox them in a later video Thanks and plz reply"

You should ask for his YouTube channel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, dmc said:

Image result for you win the internet

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dmc said:

Absolutely the best way to ask for help: "You should give ME what I want so I can be successful, me me me me me me... Thx bye !!!"

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Absolutely the best way to ask for help: "You should give ME what I want so I can be successful, me me me me me me... Thx bye !!!"

sadly

Influencers...have become a thing...and here I was hoping that social media was going to be a fad....now I very much fear for my son's generation...read an article that about 50% of Millenials predict being millionaires by mid 30s ...yet financial studies show Millenials are about 30% short of wealth than previous generations.

The simple fact that most folks only show off the "good stuff" is making our kids have a very distorted view of real life. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

sadly

Influencers...have become a thing...and here I was hoping that social media was going to be a fad....now I very much fear for my son's generation...read an article that about 50% of Millenials predict being millionaires by mid 30s ...yet financial studies show Millenials are about 30% short of wealth than previous generations.

The simple fact that most folks only show off the "good stuff" is making our kids have a very distorted view of real life. 

Come into my 6th-grade classroom and ask for a show of hands from the kids who are going to be famous Youtubers...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

This turned into a "stay off my lawn" "kids are stupid" "they will never be as good as us" "I walked uphill in the snow to school" thread pretty quickly.

on the contrary, I think the digital age enables exponential growth in what kids can be capable of...having grown up without the internet or smart phone meant that when I came home from school...I left it all behind (for better or worse); today kids never get a break from "it" so it magnifies the good and the bad...I don't know what it's like to make an embarrassing mistake and then it be shared w/ the whole schoool in seconds

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

sadly

Most will learn the hard way and correct in terms of raising their own kids. It should be a 1-2 generation issue from a conceptual point of view. What the effects will be on the economy when so much of the work force has significantly less education / skill is another matter.

Parents are to blame for failing to control the effects of technology. My ex is terrible - she doesn't understand why our son won't put in 100% effort on anything after she spoiled him for 12 years. DUH!

So I sold an item for $400 on eBay over the weekend and today got an "eBay listings removed - unauthorized user of buyer or bidder account" message.  I'm not sure what I need to do at this point.  I got paid for the item and that money hasn't been pulled back out.  I don't want to ship the item event though my Seller Dashboard is telling me I have 24 hours to do that.  Do I just sit on the sidelines and watch it play out?

6 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

So I sold an item for $400 on eBay over the weekend and today got an "eBay listings removed - unauthorized user of buyer or bidder account" message.  I'm not sure what I need to do at this point.  I got paid for the item and that money hasn't been pulled back out.  I don't want to ship the item event though my Seller Dashboard is telling me I have 24 hours to do that.  Do I just sit on the sidelines and watch it play out?

if you never shipped then just refund.  If you had shipped you'd be fine and covered but seeing you haven't just refund the paypal payment.  It should still pull up in the sold history of my ebay though and you might be able to do the cancel transaction from the drop down menu there as well.  If it took the option away then just manually refund the paypal payment.   They just pull it out of search history when they do that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

if you never shipped then just refund.  If you had shipped you'd be fine and covered but seeing you haven't just refund the paypal payment.  It should still pull up in the sold history of my ebay though and you might be able to do the cancel transaction from the drop down menu there as well.  If it took the option away then just manually refund the paypal payment.   They just pull it out of search history when they do that.

thanks

• Like 1

Had a used set listed BIN, no best offer, but of course I get somebody coming in at 30% off.  I send them offer meeting them in the middle.  I then get a bunch of questions.

Prospective buyer:  Is the set genuine Lego.  Including the minifigs.

Me: Yes.  You can see Lego branding on the minifigs.

Prospective buyer: Do you have the box?

Me: No.

Prospective buyer: You verified it is 100% complete?

Me: I built it and ordered the missing pieces form Bricklink.  I then took it apart in separate bags that match the instructions.

Prospective buyer: Are the pieces from Bricklink genuine?

Me: Yes.

I should have blocked this guy at this point, but later that evening he bought the set and took until the next morning to pay for it and then sends this wonderful message.

Buyer:  I would like for you to kindly do me a favor and built this for me (^_^) and ship it in 1 complete piece inside big plastic bag and then tied it so when some pieces become loose they’ll stay inside the big bag(like clear trash bag maybe..lol) you can then put inside boxes with bubble wrap securely wraps around it inside boxes. I hope this possible, let me know thanks.

Me: Unfortunately, I can't do this.  The listing stated that is would ship disassembled and the reduced price did not factor in additional time to build or the additional cost to ship.  I can cancel the transaction, just let me know.

Buyer:  It's ok, I'll have to build it myself.  Please ship ASAP.

Ugh.  I should know better than to engage with buyers that have a ton of questions, but I've had some great transactions that started this way and they have lulled my defenses against buyers like this.  Isn't the point of Lego to build the thing.  I know others have received this request, but I didn't expect this after all the back and forth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately I I ask some of the same questions.I have bought numerous sets that have mega blocks or some other lego.There gave been pieces missing even though they state 100% complete.

I do this so there is some evidence that was asked in case of a problem and eBay can look back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tasiatunes said:

Unfortunately I I ask some of the same questions.I have bought numerous sets that have mega blocks or some other lego.There gave been pieces missing even though they state 100% complete.

I do this so there is some evidence that was asked in case of a problem and eBay can look back.

Legitimate questions, which most of this exchange was, aren’t an issue. I wouldn’t even minded if he asked me to build the thing prior to buying it, I still wouldn’t have, but to be so worried about it being genuine and not want to build it is a fruitcake move. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Legitimate questions, which most of this exchange was, aren’t an issue. I wouldn’t even minded if he asked me to build the thing prior to buying it, I still wouldn’t have, but to be so worried about it being genuine and not want to build it is a fruitcake move. 

I agree the conversation as shown = FRUITCAKE

I will say if the set comes made then it's an assurance of completeness...worse feeling in the world is to be a few hours into a build w/ that feeling in the gut that some important pieces are missing...every piece search gets a bit more frantic and sense of impending doom.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

10 hours ago, lodibricks said:

This stuff makes me relieved I've only sold new/sealed sets...and then I remembered the fruitcake that asked me to open the sealed box and take pics. haha

IDK...that's actually for the seller's protection (altho very fruitcakey thing to request, 4shure).  We've all heard stories of fake sealed boxes carrying bogus content...as a seller...what recourse will you have if the buyer claims after breaking seals the content was not right?  Can the seller be sure they themselves were not duped (shy of a direct purchase from LEGO) all other sources are "suspect".  Weighing addresses the worse offenders, but many scales may not catch the differential of missing minifigs.

• 2 weeks later...

The fruitcake here is obviously Paypal's new refund policy  .... Sold a set for $180 ... buyer contacts me immediately after paying with a cancellation request stating "I used the wrong credit card; if you cancel I will reorder". 

I wrote back that I can cancel, but will have to sell it to him at a higher price because Paypal is going to keep $8.22 out of the refund thanks to this new policy.

First time I got hit with this .. luckily this was a Best Offer, so I have wiggle room, but this is going to be a big pain in the butt for large items.

The fruitcake here is obviously Paypal's new refund policy  .... Sold a set for $180 ... buyer contacts me immediately after paying with a cancellation request stating "I used the wrong credit card; if you cancel I will reorder". 
I wrote back that I can cancel, but will have to sell it to him at a higher price because Paypal is going to keep $8.22 out of the refund thanks to this new policy.
First time I got hit with this .. luckily this was a Best Offer, so I have wiggle room, but this is going to be a big pain in the butt for large items.

I think you won’t have to deal with it for long. eBay is moving to their own payment system in the next few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum