Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

7 hours ago, Tom J said:

I've just sold an expensive set on eBay (£200) .... the buyer has 0 feedback. I'm very cautious of being stung as I haven't sold any expensive sets on there before to someone with no feedback. What precautions can I take? I listed as other 48 hour courier to keep my options open as it was a large set.  I have a family member who lives 20 minutes down the road and wondering whether to ask him to act as a delivery agent, get a signature and video the encounter and only deliver to the named recipient. Would I be covered eBay wise this way? He has previously worked self employed delivering parcels. Any advice gratefully received. 

Just deliver it fully tracked and insured. I've sold £200 + sets to 0 feedback buyers without any issues (I used Parcelforce).

33 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Take a photo of the sealed boxed and then outer well-packaged parcel before sending it. When I last listed a high value item (A Rolex watch back in 2015), I did insist on a copy of a council tax bill before payment/posting. In the end, the guy met me locally with £2500 cash ? I only used eBay as they paid a lot more than any jeweller or dealer would at the time.

Zero feedback isn't always a concern as a lot of people simply create an account as soon as they see something they want, Xmas is a prime example and a lot of those are weird names like john£Smith123456 as all the best names and words are now unavailable, just like with domain names.

You can sometimes get basic information on people from FaceBook and LinkedIn.

It's a shame that eBay can't crack down on rogue buyers, they put profit before safety like most other greedy companies these days.

What´s the photo going to prove? Unless you have the item valued and inspected by an independent body (who will charge more than the cost of the item) you have no leg to stand on as the photo could be of a different box....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

What´s the photo going to prove? Unless you have the item valued and inspected by an independent body (who will charge more than the cost of the item) you have no leg to stand on as the photo could be of a different box....

it proves tabby was sleeping on the job...

photo.jpg

gonna suck when he wakes up from that nap,  the static is brutal on cat hair

photo2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Just had a stolen identity issue with a City Airport Terminal set that I sold on ebay.  Covered since I did my job but nothing is off limits on there in terms of fraud.  I was leery at $150 and obviously rightly so.  Wouldn't sell anything there of a higher value anymore I don't think.  

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a used Assembly square on ebay to use my ebay bucks certificate  and a 10% ebay bucks promo. The guy shipped the set wrapped in kraft paper, it arrived smashed....

What is the course of action, I Paid 200 for the set and 40 in shipping and this guy could not even fully wrap it with the paper, he taped it.....

Please advice..... 

The before picture is from the ebay listing

and the after.......

IMG_3107[1].JPG

this is the before picture... from the ebay listing....

Assembly Square from ebay.jpg

• Haha 1

Start by reaching out to the seller and asking how they'd like to make it right. I'd probably accept either a full refund with the seller paying return shipping or a refund of shipping + partial refund of the set price instead of filing a SNAD. If they don't make a reasonable offer, escalate to eBay or PayPal for SNAD.

Side note, I wouldn't let them push you off on courier insurance even if they insured the shipment. The fact that it wasn't properly boxed wil probably get a claim denied.

55 minutes ago, boliramirez said:

I bought a used Assembly square on ebay to use my ebay bucks certificate  and a 10% ebay bucks promo. The guy shipped the set wrapped in kraft paper, it arrived smashed....

What is the course of action, I Paid 200 for the set and 40 in shipping and this guy could not even fully wrap it with the paper, he taped it.....

Please advice..... 

The before picture is from the ebay listing

and the after.......

IMG_3107[1].JPG

this is the before picture... from the ebay listing....

Assembly Square from ebay.jpg

I think @brickvoyeur might have some suggestions. :)

Story for reference:
https://community.brickpicker.com/forums/topic/10190-thread-of-packaging-excellence/?page=29&tab=comments#comment-781582

Edited by lodibricks
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, boliramirez said:

I bought a used Assembly square on ebay

Did you really mean to write "used"?

If you bought this for personal build, then the box condition shouldn't matter as long as everything inside is okay.  Maybe the seller will give you a partial credit for being a dumba**.

If you bought it for investment, why are you buying high value current sets below market value from individuals on eBay?  That's a risky way to use your investment dollars.  

• Like 2

Did you really mean to write "used"?
If you bought this for personal build, then the box condition shouldn't matter as long as everything inside is okay.  Maybe the seller will give you a partial credit for being a dumba**.
If you bought it for investment, why are you buying high value current sets below market value from individuals on eBay?  That's a risky way to use your investment dollars.  

The “why” someone buys something doesn’t matter, nor should it for a SNAD claim when the seller lists the condition as “near perfect” with original box and makes no effort to protect the shipment.

“It is in nearly perfect condition. Comes with all the pieces as well as the instruction books and the original box.”

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

The “why” someone buys something doesn’t matter, nor should it for a SNAD claim when the seller lists the condition as “near perfect” with original box and makes no effort to protect the shipment.

“It is in nearly perfect condition. Comes with all the pieces as well as the instruction books and the original box.”

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Yeah it should not matter.......but...if it's for personal use that's a big box to just have sitting there empty.  I understand yeah you can fold it..store it..and maybe use it for resale down the line, although I think bolirmirez knows the price will not be so much different without the box.  If the box means so much, yeah I'd send the seller my concern with how it arrived, but I wouldn't hold the seller to the coals for a large partial refund if for personal use.  Yes the seller screwed up, but it looks like the seller is brand new too.  Send a message and see what happens.  OP also requested a NEW Assembly Square from me back in April after the TARGET fiasco.  I told him I could ship him one without the box and he was okay with it then.  I got back to him with a quote for 235 including shipping and he never got back to me.

If the set is a personal build, I would get a partial refund that you are comfortable with.  If not, contact the seller and if they don't respond, it is an easy snad case.  Since he packaged it so badly, he will have a hard time getting anywhere near what you paid for it. 

Edited by stackables

It is indeed for personal use , but for me the box is important , (that is why I did not took LegoBro offer) and I waited for a good chance to get one that was in good condition and I even paid 40 bucks on shipping , and this guy cut corners with the box.... 

i am in not rush , and this seemed like a good chance to get one for personal use ...

i guess i will ask for a full refund... the question is I used my eBay bucks to buy it, do I get them back?

This will be my first snad, any tips?

Bought this lot of figs and I was wondering if the Kanan Jarrus is the black hair version?  I didn't have time to message the seller in time to get a better pic.  What does everyone think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23-Lego-Minifigures-Lot-Star-Wars-Lego-Movie-Hobbit-Chima-/283068914469?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=E0AUJHQBQ7rdBL2DYlNr7oNYi8E%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

52 minutes ago, stackables said:

Bought this lot of figs and I was wondering if the Kanan Jarrus is the black hair version?  I didn't have time to message the seller in time to get a better pic.  What does everyone think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23-Lego-Minifigures-Lot-Star-Wars-Lego-Movie-Hobbit-Chima-/283068914469?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=E0AUJHQBQ7rdBL2DYlNr7oNYi8E%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Yep, definitely black.  

I actually checked out this auction this morning but the black hair Kanan didn't register with me.  Would have definitely bid had I noticed that.  Good grab on that lot.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I've got an interesting one brewing here.... 

A couple of weeks back I posted in the Sell Today thread about moving a used Giant Castle Chess set for $995. Everything went smoothly: payment, communication, shipment & tracking etc, everything went off without a hitch. 

The buyer had even contacted me before purchase to request additional photos of the original box from more angles. I did so, he approved what he saw, and the sale went forward. 

2 weeks elapse. I get a message from the buyer. They are complaining about the plastic insert not being present.... Apparently there is a plastic insert, I guess the one that blocks grubby paws from touching the minifigs when it's on the store shelf.... some of you probably remember that all lego boxes had this feature back in the day. It's just a piece of plastic cellophane; in the case of the Castle Chess that cellophane has a bit of embellished designed cardboard around its perimeter. This was missing from my copy when I got it, I never mentioned it in the listing, and no photos showed it being present. He asked for additional photos, and never once was this mentioned. 

Now he's claiming the set 'was listed as complete but this "critical storage piece" is missing' and wants $100 refund.... that's 10% of the sale and quite a bit more % from my profit margin.... for a piece of non-functional trash...  

I already sold the set a good $200 cheaper than the next competitor, and in better condition. 

I'm pretty convinced I want to take it to resolution center, as I'm 100% convinced I sold precisely and exactly what was described in the listing, and at no point before purchase was an inquiry made regarding this missing piece of plastic. 

What grounds do I stand on? Am I a fool for wanting to bring ebay into this? Do I have solid footing to win it?

Looking for advice. 

Edited by Zelgazra

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

Ok I've got an interesting one brewing here.... 

A couple of weeks back I posted in the Sell Today thread about moving a used Giant Castle Chess set for $995. Everything went smoothly: payment, communication, shipment & tracking etc, everything went off without a hitch. 

The buyer had even contacted me before purchase to request additional photos of the original box from more angles. I did so, he approved what he saw, and the sale went forward. 

2 weeks elapse. I get a message from the buyer. They are complaining about the plastic insert not being present.... Apparently there is a plastic insert, I guess the one that blocks grubby paws from touching the minifigs when it's on the store shelf.... some of you probably remember that all lego boxes had this feature back in the day. It's just a piece of plastic cellophane; in the case of the Castle Chess that cellophane has a bit of embellished designed cardboard around its perimeter. This was missing from my copy when I got it, I never mentioned it in the listing, and no photos showed it being present. He asked for additional photos, and never once was this mentioned. 

Now he's claiming the set 'was listed as complete but this "critical storage piece" is missing' and wants $100 refund.... that's 10% of the sale and quite a bit more % from my profit margin.... for a piece of non-functional trash...  

I already sold the set a good $200 cheaper than the next competitor, and in better condition. 

I'm pretty convinced I want to take it to resolution center, as I'm 100% convinced I sold precisely and exactly what was described in the listing, and at no point before purchase was an inquiry made regarding this missing piece of plastic. 

What grounds do I stand on? Am I a fool for wanting to bring ebay into this? Do I have solid footing to win it?

Looking for advice. 

Unfortunately, without having specifically pointed out the defect, you're at the mercy of the customer service gods here. How lucky are you feeling?

I'd probably figure out how much of a haircut I could afford then send a polite message thanking them for getting in touch with you about their dissatisfaction with the purchase, saying you did your best to represent the set in the listing. As a courtesy to satisfy their concerns you'll offer either a return for full refund (your call on +/- shipping cost) or keep the set for a partial refund that's 50% of your own acceptable max haircut.

My thinking is that while going to ebay has the potential to let you keep all your money, there's also more risk. Yeah, if the buyer accepts your offer you're out a bit of money but less than the buyer asked for and ebay might grant. And if the buyer doesn't accept, then at least you might have loaded the dice a bit in your favor.

Edited by mizeur
  • Like 1

I agree with the above. Although you might be rightly pissed off avout being played (the buyer could have asked when it didn´t appear in the pics and before completing the sale) you would be at the mercy of ebay customer service and how they interpret complete. Knowing they usually side with the buyer,  you´d have to call several times and kick up a stink and maybe just maybe someone might cover the difference but it´s more likely to end in a snad and you would lose the whole amount.

Meeting them half way would save face for all concerned.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I'd go back to the buyer with a counter offer (closer to them than you) and simply cave in if refused. A bad reputation on eBay can kill a business as they have us by the short and curlies. Buyers win 99% of the time, so just take what money you can and move on. Always have another channel for selling as you never know when you'll need to rely on it. It only takes one arsehoIe to take you down.

The really awkward part about this sale, is the set wasn’t mine. I sold it on commission for a colleague at work. So the refund would be coming from my commissioned portion, at it would be well more than half my earnings. It would obviously get really messy if eBay sides full SNAD.... (how could they though, really.....ffffff eBay!). Ugh. Appreciate the insight guys. What an unfortunate pickle.

I guess however it shakes down, I can hold on to the silver lining that I got to build this extremely rare beauty at zero purchase cost. If only that felt like enough.... hehe.

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

The really awkward part about this sale, is the set wasn’t mine. I sold it on commission for a colleague at work. So the refund would be coming from my commissioned portion, at it would be well more than half my earnings. It would obviously get really messy if eBay sides full SNAD.... (how could they though, really.....ffffff eBay!). Ugh. Appreciate the insight guys. What an unfortunate pickle.

I guess however it shakes down, I can hold on to the silver lining that I got to build this extremely rare beauty at zero purchase cost. If only that felt like enough.... hehe.

BTW was it a paypal transaction and who received payment - you or your colleague?

If I ever help someone out by selling something using my account, I insist that final payment is made to them and that they do the shipping too, precisely to avoid this type of nightmare.

Edited by Val-E