Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

11 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Bricklink torsos run $160.  One seller had for $89, but of course the same left arm was cracked.

Dare you to complain to the seller...

Several of the other figures had cracks (cloud city Han, 1 greedo, hoth leia, 2 yodas)  but the seller did list them as used in very nice condition.  You have to look closely at the arms to see they are cracked.  Figures looked like they were at least cared for; joints are tight and capes are in good condition.  I do believe that older figs were more prone to cracking.  Too bad all the figures were not perfect.  Lot included almost all of the imperial inspection figs too.  

I doubt it is worth complaining about since I will obviously not return them.  A damaged Fett could still fetch probably more than I bought all 35 figs for.  I will probably just trade the figure for another figure at the top of my want list.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stackables said:

Several of the other figures had cracks (cloud city Han, 1 greedo, hoth leia, 2 yodas)  but the seller did list them as used in very nice condition.  You have to look closely at the arms to see they are cracked.  Figures looked like they were at least cared for; joints are tight and capes are in good condition.  I do believe that older figs were more prone to cracking.  Too bad all the figures were not perfect.  Lot included almost all of the imperial inspection figs too.  

I doubt it is worth complaining about since I will obviously not return them.  A damaged Fett could still fetch probably more than I bought all 35 figs for.  I will probably just trade the figure for another figure at the top of my want list.   

When you get a steal of a deal - just leave it alone. The arms on the early Greedo, and Yoda are notorious for cracking (I must have a dozen cracked arm Greedo).

If the cracks are only on the arms, you can carefully switch out the arms for Han, Leia, and Yoda.

6 minutes ago, KShine said:

When you get a steal of a deal - just leave it alone. The arms on the early Greedo, and Yoda are notorious for cracking (I must have a dozen cracked arm Greedo).

If the cracks are only on the arms, you can carefully switch out the arms for Han, Leia, and Yoda.

Yeah I noticed the torso for Han, Leia and Yoda are not too rare.  Greedo would be hard to replace but at least 1 out of the 2 are good.  I actually already have the fig too.  Any estimation on what a cracked arm fett could fetch?  I might be trading it for the sdcc Phoenix without the card.  You think that would be a fair trade?  I also have another cloud city fett that is in much better condition.

36 minutes ago, stackables said:

Yeah I noticed the torso for Han, Leia and Yoda are not too rare.  Greedo would be hard to replace but at least 1 out of the 2 are good.  I actually already have the fig too.  Any estimation on what a cracked arm fett could fetch?  I might be trading it for the sdcc Phoenix without the card.  You think that would be a fair trade?  I also have another cloud city fett that is in much better condition.

The value of rare minifigs that are cracked/damaged is always a bit surprising to me - many people will still pay very high prices for them.

The overall condition of the rest of the minifig can also play a big part in its value - be careful with the cardless Phoenix, as there are some good custom prints.

1 hour ago, zig_brickz said:

Yeah cardless SDCC Phoenix sounds alot to me like guy with a paintbrush Phoenix. Make sure it is legitimate. 

Is the best way to confirm she is authentic is from the Lego Logos on the neck peg and hips?  I will definitely request a lot of pictures.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:37 AM, stackables said:

Is the best way to confirm she is authentic is from the Lego Logos on the neck peg and hips?  I will definitely request a lot of pictures.

That is the best way I can think of. Just make sure the picture of the lego logo is the same minifigure. Also, don't hesitate to tell him to write a particular note in the picture just to make sure he even has it.

I've had a buyer contact me in both Bricklink and eBay trying to find the cheapest possible way to get a lot of 10 Scooby-Doo sets to Australia. The latest is to sell them cheap on ebay to get the global shipping discount and then pay me via friends and family behind the scenes for the difference. I already told him I didn't want to do anything like this, but he won't take no for an answer (and keeps asking for even lower prices). It's not worth my time...

• 2 weeks later...

So, an eBay buyer tells me today that I sent them a wrong set. I ask for a photo and they send it to me of a different set.  After double checking inventory, receipt, as well as actually checking the box weights, I'm pretty sure that they're trying to scam me.  Unfortunately, I specified No Returns Accepted since I figured it was fine.

Now, while it's a small set with less than $15, I'm pretty much trying to be diplomatic as possible.

This was my message after receiving the photos:

"Please return the set you received in its original condition.  Please include a receipt for shipping costs and we will issue you a refund for the additional shipping as well as the cost of your original purchase once we have received the product.

We apologize for this inconvenience."

Has anyone ever managed to get one over scamming buyers like this?

I actually sent two wrong sets out last November.  One winning bid got the 75105 and the other got a 75919.  Not a cheap mistake.  Lol!  I told the one that ended up with the 75105 to keep it and put a 75919 in the mail right away, and ended up getting the other 75919 from the guy who didn't want it or even the 75105 I was supposed to send him.  I ended up cutting him a deal on two 75913's, which is what he really wanted in the first place.  So it ended up ok. I was out a 75105 but all the postage and hassle would have negated a good chunk of that anyways.  I think I got good feedback from both.

I wouldn't assume this customer is trying to scam you.  I find it odd to scam somebody over $15.  I would've told them to keep the set and refunded the money.   

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized it is much easier to replace cracked arms then entire torso for my Cloud City lot.  I think just about all the Cloud City figs except Lando had cracked arms.  Fett will be impossible to replace but Leia, Luke and Han should be simple. 

The trade for the SDCC Phoenix fell through.  The guy ended up "trading" it to someone else.  That is after he told me he couldn't take pictures of the figure since his battery in his phone died.  Crazy timing.

9 hours ago, stackables said:

I just realized it is much easier to replace cracked arms then entire torso for my Cloud City lot.  I think just about all the Cloud City figs except Lando had cracked arms.  Fett will be impossible to replace but Leia, Luke and Han should be simple. 

If so many of the arms were cracked, you might want to carefully check the torsos for stress cracks (as it sounds as if the minifigs might have become brittle - from cold/hot climate conditions).

1 hour ago, KShine said:

If so many of the arms were cracked, you might want to carefully check the torsos for stress cracks (as it sounds as if the minifigs might have become brittle - from cold/hot climate conditions).

Not seeing any torso cracks.  Lando looks new and the rest just have small cracks that I had to use a magnify glass to see the cracks. I had an older Lando that I got in a lot a while ago and just noticed that he had some cracking on his arm too.  Didn't know it was that common.  Anyone got a lot of arms for sale? ha

2 hours ago, stackables said:

Not seeing any torso cracks.  Lando looks new and the rest just have small cracks that I had to use a magnify glass to see the cracks. I had an older Lando that I got in a lot a while ago and just noticed that he had some cracking on his arm too.  Didn't know it was that common.  Anyone got a lot of arms for sale? ha

Reminds me of the 1980 episode of M*A*S*H called Dreams (Season 8, Episode 22) with the floating arms ("Anyone got a lot of arms for sale? ha") :

Still freaks me out to this day...

image.png.d2280773fb6cece552ac906862448062.png

Quick question, not sure if this is in the right thread. Just sold a set and the email I got from PayPal doesn't have "Confirmed" next to the buyer's address like all my other sales but the Seller Protection says "Eligible". I reached out to the buyer to confirm and am waiting to hear back but do you guys see any issues shipping to the address? It's a $100 set, so nothing uber expensive. 

Edit: The name in the PayPal has Chinese characters (and English as well) and the address pulls up an area that doesn't have a streetview (it's in Florida).

Edited by oneknightr

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

Quick question, not sure if this is in the right thread. Just sold a set and the email I got from PayPal doesn't have "Confirmed" next to the buyer's address like all my other sales but the Seller Protection says "Eligible". I reached out to the buyer to confirm and am waiting to hear back but do you guys see any issues shipping to the address? It's a $100 set, so nothing uber expensive. 

Edit: The name in the PayPal has Chinese characters (and English as well) and the address pulls up an area that doesn't have a streetview (it's in Florida).

Buyer probably used a forwarding service.  Is the address followed by some kind of number / alphanumeric string too long for a normal apartment number?

5 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Buyer probably used a forwarding service.  Is the address followed by some kind of number / alphanumeric string too long for a normal apartment number?

That makes sense. It says STE 098-735. Initially, I thought it was a suite number but a reference number looks more likely. Thanks.

Argh ... Got a low-ball offer on a Best Offer listing last week, to which I countered taking $5 off my price. Counter offer expired yesterday, so this morning the same buyer repeats the same lowball offer they made earlier ..... really?

It’s actually a common tactic, at least what I’ve found. Buyer harasses seller with the same lowball offer, hoping to wear them down. Doesn’t usually work, but when it does they win and we lose. I block them if it happens more than once or twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Argh ... Got a low-ball offer on a Best Offer listing last week, to which I countered taking $5 off my price. Counter offer expired yesterday, so this morning the same buyer repeats the same lowball offer they made earlier ..... really?

Lol.....had that happen before.  Same buyer kept sending the same stupid low, as in 50%+ off low.  Finally I countered above my listing price and he stopped.

Edited by NIevo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

It’s actually a common tactic, at least what I’ve found. Buyer harasses seller with the same lowball offer, hoping to wear them down. Doesn’t usually work, but when it does they win and we lose. I block them if it happens more than once or twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Yep ... I didn't have an auto decline set up before, as I was trying to test the waters with my listing. Thanks to this j@ck@ss, I now have one in place.

latest?cb=20120417030026

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1