Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Guest TabbyBoy

Just ignore low-ballers and they'll go away. It also makes them sweat for a couple of days hoping that their offer is accepted only for it to expire.

Over the last week I have had to send messages to several EBay sellers informing them that what they listed as "LEGO PS4 Dimensions Starter Pack w Supergirl" is not actually the version with Supergirl, but rather the Target exclusive "Starter Pack with Lloyd Fun Pack". Some of them were seasoned sellers.

BTW, tons of cheap listings for the Supergirl combo on EBay at the moment, starting at $40. Guess I'm holding mine for a while.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Phil B said:

Over the last week I have had to send messages to several EBay sellers informing them that what they listed as "LEGO PS4 Dimensions Starter Pack w Supergirl" is not actually the version with Supergirl, but rather the Target exclusive "Starter Pack with Lloyd Fun Pack". Some of them were seasoned sellers.

BTW, tons of cheap listings for the Supergirl combo on EBay at the moment, starting at $40. Guess I'm holding mine for a while.

They’re entering UPC and accepting eBays product suggestion without verifying. Which, as we know, can be WILDLY wrong.

Little rant.  Seller has a couple of minifigs for sale and one picture of the back of the figures is really blurry.  I can't make out the condition of the figures and I just want the torsos to replace some figures with cracked arms.  Sent a message asking if they had any better pictures.  Get a reply back "Just what is there, selling cheap". I am sorry, if you can't take an extra picture for an interested party or even take a good picture to begin with, perhaps you shouldn't sell on ebay.

• Like 3

Buyer pays for a minifigure on Saturday afternoon, I ship it Monday morning. Today I get a message from buyer that they are furious about the estimated delivery being changed from 4/27 to 4/28 They need the figure by 4/27 for a wedding cake and they demand that I refund them the shipping now. As far as I can tell, I mailed it at the earliest opportunity, meeting my requirements, I have no control over the post office, It's in their local distribution center, and their expected arrival date hasn't occurred yet. Am I the one who is crazy in thinking that there's no way I should have to refund them anything? I mean, what kind of crazy person demands a refund before they even expect to receive an item?

Who knows why the USPS changes delivery dates, but in my experience they usually update it when it gets to the distribution center, but then deliver on the original estimated day.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Buyer pays for a minifigure on Saturday afternoon, I ship it Monday morning. Today I get a message from buyer that they are furious about the estimated delivery being changed from 4/27 to 4/28 They need the figure by 4/27 for a wedding cake and they demand that I refund them the shipping now. As far as I can tell, I mailed it at the earliest opportunity, meeting my requirements, I have no control over the post office, It's in their local distribution center, and their expected arrival date hasn't occurred yet. Am I the one who is crazy in thinking that there's no way I should have to refund them anything? I mean, what kind of crazy person demands a refund before they even expect to receive an item?

Who knows why the USPS changes delivery dates, but in my experience they usually update it when it gets to the distribution center, but then deliver on the original estimated day.

I've noticed eBay is the culprit when providing buyers with what I'd consider "too optimistic" delivery dates.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jackson said:

I've noticed eBay is the culprit when providing buyers with what I'd consider "too optimistic" delivery dates.

This right here.  I hate EBAY for this, the 10% and charging buyers RETAIL shipping pricing that is inflated so much it is ridiculous.  I don't understand why they can't have a system in place where there are auto-refunds when you check out to give back any over-charging on shipping.  Wouldn't this solve the issue and sellers can't charge a ton more and when i'm trying to sell to California they are not being charged $17 when it only costs me $10 when i check out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Seems a bit premature, especially since there are occasions where an item arrives a day or two before the estimated date. I've offered partial refunds when I've felt like it, but I would not be so inclined if it were demanded, especially without valid reason.

Usually the buyers in those time-sensitive situations message me before or during checkout and there's only so much you can do on a Saturday sale. I don't know how it is in other locations, but my local post office isn't available for dropoffs (beyond what fits in a blue bin, maybe an 8x6x4 max) on Sat or Sun, so you have to hope to catch the mailman delivering Sat afternoon or else it's Monday morning.

2 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Ugh. Hate those situations. Wait it out and see what happens. If they want to file a claim with eBay, you have everything you need to show that you did everything right. 

On 4/24/2018 at 4:31 PM, stackables said:

Little rant.  Seller has a couple of minifigs for sale and one picture of the back of the figures is really blurry.  I can't make out the condition of the figures and I just want the torsos to replace some figures with cracked arms.  Sent a message asking if they had any better pictures.  Get a reply back "Just what is there, selling cheap". I am sorry, if you can't take an extra picture for an interested party or even take a good picture to begin with, perhaps you shouldn't sell on ebay.

Admittedly Craigslist has a lower bar, but that reminds me of a post I responded to there.

“LEGOS FOR SALE CHEAP ONE BIN $50”

No pictures. I respond to the listing, asking for photos.

Response: “Oh my GOD, they’re LEGOS. I need to get some DINNER. Bye”

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

Admittedly Craigslist has a lower bar, but that reminds me of a post I responded to there.

“LEGOS FOR SALE CHEAP ONE BIN $50”

No pictures. I respond to the listing, asking for photos.

Response: “Oh my GOD, they’re LEGOS. I need to get some DINNER. Bye”

Imagine if they were selling a dresser and the ad said “DRESSER FOR SALE CHEAP 4 DRAWERS $50” without pictures. Would they say the same thing?

13 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Ugh. Hate those situations. Wait it out and see what happens. If they want to file a claim with eBay, you have everything you need to show that you did everything right. 

When I checked on USPS this morning, it said it should be delivered today, actually a day earlier than they had assumed. Ebay still says Saturday. We'll see what happens. If it does arrive today, I wonder if they'll send an apology.

EDIT: I just checked and USPS shows it was delivered. Now to see what they say.

14 hours ago, lodibricks said:

Seems a bit premature, especially since there are occasions where an item arrives a day or two before the estimated date. I've offered partial refunds when I've felt like it, but I would not be so inclined if it were demanded, especially without valid reason.

Usually the buyers in those time-sensitive situations message me before or during checkout and there's only so much you can do on a Saturday sale. I don't know how it is in other locations, but my local post office isn't available for dropoffs (beyond what fits in a blue bin, maybe an 8x6x4 max) on Sat or Sun, so you have to hope to catch the mailman delivering Sat afternoon or else it's Monday morning.

I double checked after reading your message. They never sent any kind of note about needing to make sure it arrived by Friday.

31 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

When I checked on USPS this morning, it said it should be delivered today, actually a day earlier than they had assumed. Ebay still says Saturday. We'll see what happens. If it does arrive today, I wonder if they'll send an apology.

EDIT: I just checked and USPS shows it was delivered. Now to see what they say.

I double checked after reading your message. They never sent any kind of note about needing to make sure it arrived by Friday.

I'm going to guess there will be no note back, and no feedback left for you, either.

Two recent examples to illustrate the fact that it VERY much depends on who you talk to and how you handle things in determination of what results occur with eBay nonsense:

1. Couple days ago I call about a return request (item not matching description) on a Pterandon Capture set. Buyer provided pics that show one end of the box I sent it in looking like a dog tried to eat it, and a seemingly taped up bag of pieces with the original box, stating it was incomplete, only one bag was included. I had responded asking for more info to determine that USPS did in fact ruin this package (or it was somehow torn open with minifigs and dino stolen), and politely explained the insurance claim process, suggesting that it would probably go smoother if he handled it as the recipient, but offering to help from my end as well.

Four days later, the reply I get is "I'm not ok, I want my refund ASAP".

Again I politely replied, asking him to consider that I was not at fault for a package arriving that was obviously not sent in the condition he received it, and that with no substantial value left the item was not worth either of us paying to return. I emphasized that an insurance claim was the only reasonable solution. No reply for 3 more days, so I FOOLISHLY "asked eBay to step in and help" via the automated system. I wrote a short explanation after choosing "Disagree with the buyer's reason for a return" from the drop-down list and... less than a minute later I get the automated response that eBay has asked the buyer to return the item, and if they use the label automatically provided, the return shipping cost will be deducted from my account, and once tracking shows it delivered, the refund will be sent automatically.

EXCUSE ME, WTF???

Which was, in a more polite manner, the jist of my immediate call to eBay customer service. Abbreviating the rest of the details, I argued with three different reps, the first two of which were incapable of going off script, and eventually learned that officially "the system" controls things, not people. Seriously! An escalation manager literally told me there was absolutely no way for anyone at all to step in and change the direction of this case once the automated system (or even an actual human, for that matter) has made a decision.  Wow. Insert Skynet sarcasm here.

My only recourse is to appeal the decision AFTER the return arrives and the refund is sent without my consent. What is that going to accomplish???? I guess if eBay is willing to refund me the $10 for return of a few lousy Lego pieces, that's something. But that will be a battle as well. Of course I was also advised multiple times to pursue the insurance claim with USPS myself, even after I adamantly insisted that I was quite capable of doing so and did not need to be instructed over and over. Most of these reps simply do not listen. It's atrocious, and I let them know that no matter how many times they told me they understand and support me as a seller, those are empty words and lies because I am not being given any respect in terms of the action being taken. I also inquired as to my options to file an official complaint, with an in-house quality control department or some equivalent and was told no such thing exists. I asked if the BBB was my only recourse and was ignored, instead being given more scripted BS about how they are sorry for the problems I am having, blah blah blah. Incredible.

2.  I have had an automated return in process (again JW, this time Indominous Rex) for quite some time from an obvious drop-shipper. Unable to find the package that has supposedly been delivered to me a few days ago, I finally check tracking and see it was sent from Japan back to Massachusetts. So, skipping the automated "grab your ankles" option, I call eBay CS about this case. There is some minor run-around after verifying addresses, in the form of them asking me to reach out to the buyer for proof that the package was resent, since "there is no clear indication" of such. He even suggested the buyer may have hand-carried the item to Japan. I literally said "COME ON, MAN!!" You are telling me a legit buyer orders a Lego set in Missouri (where I sent it), carries it to Japan, decides it is defective, initiates a return from there, and pays god-knows-how-much to "return" it to MASSACHUSETTS??? Plus we both know a drop-shipper is not going to admit what is really going on and willingly eat the cost themselves instead of trying to pass it on to me. I then went on another relatively polite tirade about how eBay does not treat buyers and sellers equally, blah blah blah. After a short silence he says "OK, now I will be closing this case in your favor..."

I've said it many many many times before and I'll say it again. Don't let them get away with this crap. Make it as difficult as you can for them to screw us as sellers. It's the default decision they go to, not the end-all-be-all policy. The first story is a rare "loss" for me (the second or third out of about 8-10 problems in 5 years), but that doesn't mean I will stop standing up for myself. Show your backbones and do the same. Maybe one day things will change for the better, even if only a little bit.

• Like 4

On 4/28/2018 at 2:24 AM, Grynn said:

Two recent examples to illustrate the fact that it VERY much depends on who you talk to and how you handle things in determination of what results occur with eBay nonsense:

1. Couple days ago I call about a return request (item not matching description) on a Pterandon Capture set. Buyer provided pics that show one end of the box I sent it in looking like a dog tried to eat it, and a seemingly taped up bag of pieces with the original box, stating it was incomplete, only one bag was included. I had responded asking for more info to determine that USPS did in fact ruin this package (or it was somehow torn open with minifigs and dino stolen), and politely explained the insurance claim process, suggesting that it would probably go smoother if he handled it as the recipient, but offering to help from my end as well.

Again I politely replied, asking him to consider that I was not at fault for a package arriving that was obviously not sent in the condition he received it, and that with no substantial value left the item was not worth either of us paying to return. I emphasized that an insurance claim was the only reasonable solution. No reply for 3 more days, so I FOOLISHLY "asked eBay to step in and help" via the automated system. I wrote a short explanation after choosing "Disagree with the buyer's reason for a return" from the drop-down list and... less than a minute later I get the automated response that eBay has asked the buyer to return the item, and if they use the label automatically provided, the return shipping cost will be deducted from my account, and once tracking shows it delivered, the refund will be sent automatically.

EXCUSE ME, WTF???

Which was, in a more polite manner, the jist of my immediate call to eBay customer service. Abbreviating the rest of the details, I argued with three different reps, the first two of which were incapable of going off script, and eventually learned that officially "the system" controls things, not people. Seriously! An escalation manager literally told me there was absolutely no way for anyone at all to step in and change the direction of this case once the automated system (or even an actual human, for that matter) has made a decision.  Wow. Insert Skynet sarcasm here.

My only recourse is to appeal the decision AFTER the return arrives and the refund is sent without my consent. What is that going to accomplish???? I guess if eBay is willing to refund me the $10 for return of a few lousy Lego pieces, that's something. But that will be a battle as well. Of course I was also advised multiple times to pursue the insurance claim with USPS myself, even after I adamantly insisted that I was quite capable of doing so and did not need to be instructed over and over. Most of these reps simply do not listen. It's atrocious, and I let them know that no matter how many times they told me they understand and support me as a seller, those are empty words and lies because I am not being given any respect in terms of the action being taken. I also inquired as to my options to file an official complaint, with an in-house quality control department or some equivalent and was told no such thing exists. I asked if the BBB was my only recourse and was ignored, instead being given more scripted BS about how they are sorry for the problems I am having, blah blah blah. Incredible.

When I buy something online and it arrives damaged - I send it straight back Return to Sender.

Making an insurance claim, negotiating a lower price - not interested / not my problem.

When I sell, and the buyer claims it's damage - I tell them to do the same - it's not their problem.

Edited by whoisbiggles
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 5:24 PM, Grynn said:

EXCUSE ME, WTF???

2.  I have had an automated return in process (again JW, this time Indominous Rex) for quite some time from an obvious drop-shipper. Unable to find the package that has supposedly been delivered to me a few days ago, I finally check tracking and see it was sent from Japan back to Massachusetts. So, skipping the automated "grab your ankles" option, I call eBay CS about this case. There is some minor run-around after verifying addresses, in the form of them asking me to reach out to the buyer for proof that the package was resent, since "there is no clear indication" of such. He even suggested the buyer may have hand-carried the item to Japan. I literally said "COME ON, MAN!!" You are telling me a legit buyer orders a Lego set in Missouri (where I sent it), carries it to Japan, decides it is defective, initiates a return from there, and pays god-knows-how-much to "return" it to MASSACHUSETTS??? Plus we both know a drop-shipper is not going to admit what is really going on and willingly eat the cost themselves instead of trying to pass it on to me. I then went on another relatively polite tirade about how eBay does not treat buyers and sellers equally, blah blah blah. After a short silence he says "OK, now I will be closing this case in your favor..."

I've said it many many many times before and I'll say it again. Don't let them get away with this crap. Make it as difficult as you can for them to screw us as sellers. It's the default decision they go to, not the end-all-be-all policy. The first story is a rare "loss" for me (the second or third out of about 8-10 problems in 5 years), but that doesn't mean I will stop standing up for myself. Show your backbones and do the same. Maybe one day things will change for the better, even if only a little bit.

isn't number 1 just the cost of doing business online ? Whether you've been scammed by the buyer or postal company not a lot you can do. If the buyer is genuine put yourself in their shoes. They can't be expected to chase insurance claims with carrier or wait for a refund whilst you do.

26 minutes ago, roxio said:

isn't number 1 just the cost of doing business online ? Whether you've been scammed by the buyer or postal company not a lot you can do. If the buyer is genuine put yourself in their shoes. They can't be expected to chase insurance claims with carrier or wait for a refund whilst you do.

Well, I think it's worth fighting to a certain extent if you sent a minty fresh box and are shown a picture what looked like a dog tried to eat.

I suppose it's easy for my point to get lost among all the words...

I've been in the buyer's shoes many times receiving a set damaged in shipment. If it's packaged properly, I let the seller know but do not pressure them to handle the situation. They did their part, end of story. I think it's debatable what the "proper" course of action is, and have been helped tremendously as well as told to get stuffed, and everything in between, from my own sellers. If the packaging was crap, however, I give them a chance to respond in almost ANY reasonable way, else it's a SNAD case. This has only happened three times over hundreds of purchases.

By the way, USPS policy states NOT to return a damaged package. They want it to be handled as I suggested to the buyer originally, i.e. insurance claim on the receiver's end. Yet I offered to get involved on this buyer's behalf. They ignored all of that and simply demanded a refund.

But the whole point of the story was eBay's horrible lack of customer service. One fork of the tongue continuously reads "I understand and apologize that this happened to you..." while the other continuously speaks "There is nothing I can do, because..."

I'll reiterate the "fruitcake" element quickly:  I attempted to use the online escalation system to get eBay involved after essentially being ignored by the buyer. I selected the "disagree with buyer's reason for return" option. The system immediately and automatically issued a return label for the buyer and set it to be charged to my account upon usage. No human (according to what passes for one employed at eBay CS) is able to intervene, nor even acknowledge the ridiculousness of this occurrence. It's straight up BUSTED.

• Like 1

I've got a minor problem here. Sold my loose but complete HP Castle and the seller just emailed me saying three pieces were missing: croissant and two cherries. I'm almost 100% positive all the pieces were there when I bagged everything up. Now I have to see if I have any spares at home. If I don't, what do you guys suggest I do? Offer a refund? If yes, how much? Bricklink value plus shipping? I guess this is just one of the pitfalls of selling loose sets that are complete and stated so in the description. I hate to say 99.9% complete as that won't get me top dollar, but it would cover me in situations like this. 

On 3/26/2018 at 8:43 PM, TANV said:

So, an eBay buyer tells me today that I sent them a wrong set. I ask for a photo and they send it to me of a different set.  After double checking inventory, receipt, as well as actually checking the box weights, I'm pretty sure that they're trying to scam me.  Unfortunately, I specified No Returns Accepted since I figured it was fine.

Now, while it's a small set with less than $15, I'm pretty much trying to be diplomatic as possible.

This was my message after receiving the photos:

"Please return the set you received in its original condition.  Please include a receipt for shipping costs and we will issue you a refund for the additional shipping as well as the cost of your original purchase once we have received the product.

We apologize for this inconvenience."

Has anyone ever managed to get one over scamming buyers like this?

Well, an update on this situation. The buyer had never bothered to reply and I'm well past the 30 day period from when it was delivered so eBay's Guarantee and Paypal don't bind me!  Hooray!  Now I'm certain that the buyer was trying to get one over on me.

To feedback or not to feedback...that is the question...

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

I've got a minor problem here. Sold my loose but complete HP Castle and the seller just emailed me saying three pieces were missing: croissant and two cherries. I'm almost 100% positive all the pieces were there when I bagged everything up. Now I have to see if I have any spares at home. If I don't, what do you guys suggest I do? Offer a refund? If yes, how much? Bricklink value plus shipping? I guess this is just one of the pitfalls of selling loose sets that are complete and stated so in the description. I hate to say 99.9% complete as that won't get me top dollar, but it would cover me in situations like this. 

If you don't have spares, I would order the pieces from a Bricklink seller for the buyer.  They may not be familiar with the process and doing it for them would be better service in my opinion.  I had a seller do this for me when they sold me a complete set, but they had missed the mark by about a dozen pieces.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oneknightr said:

1 hour ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

If you don't have spares, I would order the pieces from a Bricklink seller for the buyer.  They may not be familiar with the process and doing it for them would be better service in my opinion.  I had a seller do this for me when they sold me a complete set, but they had missed the mark by about a dozen pieces.

I was about to post what @fuzzy_bricks posted.  If you don't have that stuff as spares, I'd just tell them that you will replace the parts for them.  Just order them from Bricklink for the buyer, and have them sent to him direct.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TANV said:

Well, an update on this situation. The buyer had never bothered to reply and I'm well past the 30 day period from when it was delivered so eBay's Guarantee and Paypal don't bind me!  Hooray!  Now I'm certain that the buyer was trying to get one over on me.

To feedback or not to feedback...that is the question...

You're past eBays 30 day Guarantee but Paypal's is 180 days (atleast it is in the UK)