Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

You're past eBays 30 day Guarantee but Paypal's is 180 days (atleast it is in the UK)

If you are charged for a transaction that you didn't make, let us know within 60 days, and we've got you covered.

Purchase Protection covers all eligible purchases where PayPal is used, as well as payments made through our website. To take advantage of Purchase Protection, we require, among other things, that PayPal accounts be kept in good standing and ask that a dispute be filed within 180 days of your purchase or payment

(From PayPal US). So 60 days for unauthorized claims, 180 days for other claims (their example: you ordered a DVD but received a book).

Here is a weird one, I was authorized a return on a Lego set, notified that I would receive a label by 5/8.  Never received the label, never shipped anything, but when I look at the status it says the label was printed and the item was shipped on 5/8. Now it's in transit via FedEx with several location scans over the past couple days.  I'm not sure what was shipped or who shipped it, but this is strange.

24 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Here is a weird one, I was authorized a return on a Lego set, notified that I would receive a label by 5/8.  Never received the label, never shipped anything, but when I look at the status it says the label was printed and the item was shipped on 5/8. Now it's in transit via FedEx with several location scans over the past couple days.  I'm not sure what was shipped or who shipped it, but this is strange.

Did the would be returned item also disappear?

1 minute ago, exciter1 said:

Hasn't yet, whatever shipped appears to still be in transit. The set I received is still sitting by the door.

I live in Ohio, but the first scan was in New Jersey.

Maybe the seller entered a bad return tracking number?

• 1 month later...

So who eats the shipping for snad cases?  I got a comic that didn't come in the condition describe so I asked the seller for a partial refund or a return.  He said to just return it so I asked for him to pay the return shipping.  He said he wouldn't so I opened a snad case.  Of course ebay sided with me and I printed the return label.  I was wondering if ebay covers that or does the seller have to cover it.

14 hours ago, stackables said:

So who eats the shipping for snad cases?  I got a comic that didn't come in the condition describe so I asked the seller for a partial refund or a return.  He said to just return it so I asked for him to pay the return shipping.  He said he wouldn't so I opened a snad case.  Of course ebay sided with me and I printed the return label.  I was wondering if ebay covers that or does the seller have to cover it.

Comes out of the sellers pockets (in the UK)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stackables said:

Is ebay removing listings after they are sold?  I was watching a couple items that were sold.  When I click on the link to that item, I am taken to another similar item.  Not the original. Anyone else experiencing this?

A few folks were complaining about this on YouTube so I don't think you are the only one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stackables said:

Is ebay removing listings after they are sold?  I was watching a couple items that were sold.  When I click on the link to that item, I am taken to another similar item.  Not the original. Anyone else experiencing this?

In the note that says the listing is over, the word listing is hyperlinked and will take you to it.  It's a pain in the butt, but you can still get to that listing if you want to.  I don't like that it takes you to a similar listing, but you can find the original.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw this today when I was checking on tracking for one of my recent ebay purchases, Should I be concerned?

We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter.

I saw this today when I was checking on tracking for one of my recent ebay purchases, Should I be concerned?
We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter.
I had this recently (posted about it). Likely a scammer whose account got pulled. I bet it was a new and sealed exclusive offered for slightly below RRP (My purchase was a London Bus).

I called EBay and had them refund me. I doubt you will get what you ordered.

9 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I had this recently (posted about it). Likely a scammer whose account got pulled. I bet it was a new and sealed exclusive offered for slightly below RRP (My purchase was a London Bus).

I called EBay and had them refund me. I doubt you will get what you ordered.

It was the Han Christian Andersen Promo and probably the cheapest at Buy it Now when I purchased it, I guess I'll see what shows up in the mail in a couple days and go from there.

I've just sold an expensive set on eBay (£200) .... the buyer has 0 feedback. I'm very cautious of being stung as I haven't sold any expensive sets on there before to someone with no feedback. What precautions can I take? I listed as other 48 hour courier to keep my options open as it was a large set.  I have a family member who lives 20 minutes down the road and wondering whether to ask him to act as a delivery agent, get a signature and video the encounter and only deliver to the named recipient. Would I be covered eBay wise this way? He has previously worked self employed delivering parcels. Any advice gratefully received. 

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Tom J said:

I've just sold an expensive set on eBay (£200) .... the buyer has 0 feedback. I'm very cautious of being stung as I haven't sold any expensive sets on there before to someone with no feedback. What precautions can I take? I listed as other 48 hour courier to keep my options open as it was a large set.  I have a family member who lives 20 minutes down the road and wondering whether to ask him to act as a delivery agent, get a signature and video the encounter and only deliver to the named recipient. Would I be covered eBay wise this way? He has previously worked self employed delivering parcels. Any advice gratefully received. 

I'd not think twice and ask that family member to pick up cash when delivering the item. Also buy them a drink to save on PayPal fees ?

eBay would cover you if the item is tracked with a signature and proof of posting. However, they can't help you if the buyer says that the box was full of knock-off bricks. Personally, I'd avoid eBay for  >£100 LEGO sets.

4 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'd not think twice and ask that family member to pick up cash when delivering the item. Also buy them a drink to save on PayPal fees ?

eBay would cover you if the item is tracked with a signature and proof of posting. However, they can't help you if the buyer says that the box was full of knock-off bricks. Personally, I'd avoid eBay for  >£100 LEGO sets.

They've already paid on PayPal. I've sent them a message saying that some couriers ask for photographic ID of the person named on parcel. I'll see what response I get. Is there any way I can check who is resident at an address? It's a 350k house in a nice area it's just the feedback that is worrying me and the fact their username is a random jumble of letters

On 7/9/2018 at 10:22 AM, zaphoid said:

It was the Han Christian Andersen Promo and probably the cheapest at Buy it Now when I purchased it, I guess I'll see what shows up in the mail in a couple days and go from there.

I got my item, it looks like someone sat on the box but it was still sealed, I wanted it for a person build so I will keep it.

Guest TabbyBoy
5 hours ago, Tom J said:

They've already paid on PayPal. I've sent them a message saying that some couriers ask for photographic ID of the person named on parcel. I'll see what response I get. Is there any way I can check who is resident at an address? It's a 350k house in a nice area it's just the feedback that is worrying me and the fact their username is a random jumble of letters

Take a photo of the sealed boxed and then outer well-packaged parcel before sending it. When I last listed a high value item (A Rolex watch back in 2015), I did insist on a copy of a council tax bill before payment/posting. In the end, the guy met me locally with £2500 cash ? I only used eBay as they paid a lot more than any jeweller or dealer would at the time.

Zero feedback isn't always a concern as a lot of people simply create an account as soon as they see something they want, Xmas is a prime example and a lot of those are weird names like john£Smith123456 as all the best names and words are now unavailable, just like with domain names.

You can sometimes get basic information on people from FaceBook and LinkedIn.

It's a shame that eBay can't crack down on rogue buyers, they put profit before safety like most other greedy companies these days.