What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

36 minutes ago, Buchimuer said:

They have about 5- 6 of them...Are those scenes sets good for investing?

i will go out on a limb here but...

imo almost ANY star wars LEGO at 50% off MSRP is a buy with a 12-24 month post EOL hold time.  exception being some of the weirder looking Buildable figures like Finn or Obi Wan which will make it to the major markdown and will have little demand.

just based on how even crappier SW sets have been doing, final duel at that price is a score (to me) given its original trilogy material and its a decent looking set with excellent minifigures.

think about how stoked the forums would be if a retailer had a BOGO FREE set on Star Wars lego which is essentially your deal.

the 3 downsides of this specific set:

1) demand is sort of meh.  never sold out.  discounted for a large part of its like to around $55.

2 big to ship

3)  i don't see any flip potential here even at that price because it is being discounted a little at most retailers and so you'd wouldn't even get MSRP and its not even sold out or probably close to EOL so this is buying with an eye to holding 12-24 months post EOL.  parked capital will limit other buying opportunities and might be put to better work.

that being said, the monkey on my back would not let me leave 50% off star wars lego on the shelf because of how well that scenario has played out time and time again and if i came across that set at that price and those TFA sets at that price, i'd go in for the shelf-swipe arm fully extended.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 3

i will go out on a limb here but...

imo almost ANY star wars LEGO at 50% off MSRP is a buy with a 12-24 month post EOL hold time.  exception being some of the weirder looking Buildable figures like Finn or Obi Wan which will make it to the major markdown and will have little demand.

just based on how even crappier SW sets have been doing, final duel at that price is a score (to me) given its original trilogy material and its a decent looking set with excellent minifigures.

the 3 downsides of this set:

1) demand is sort of meh.

2 big to ship

3)  i don't see any flip potential here even at that price because it is being discounted a little at most retailers and so you'd wouldn't even get MSRP and its not even sold out or probably close to EOL so this is buying with an eye to holding 12-24 months post EOL.  parked capital will limit other buying opportunities and might be put to better work.

that being said, the monkey on my back would not let me leave 50% off star wars lego on the shelf because of how well that scenario has played out time and time again and if i came across that set at that price and those TFA sets at that price, i'd go in for the shelf-swipe arm fully extended.

Thanks for sharing! It's really informative.

I got you point. Star Wars sets are cool and popular.

I'm a little afraid of holding multiple "normal" sets as a newbie to this game. Maybe next time I will take them all with me

No idea ... I just want one at that price for my son - gives us Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker  AND emperor Palpatine .....

Yeah. I looked at that set for 5min because of the mini figures. But I got no idea how to deal with the back stage...seams too big to display and not attractive. So I didn't bite.

Just now, Buchimuer said:

Thanks for sharing! It's really informative.

I got you point. Star Wars sets are cool and popular.

I'm a little afraid of holding multiple "normal" sets as a newbie to this game. Maybe next time I will take them all with meemoji3.png

Star wars would be the only theme i would use the 50% off rule for and you have to keep in mind you will be looking at these for probably 2 years until it gets to maybe $120-130 and you can make a reasonable profit for your time, fees and shipping costs.  retiring sooner than December 2016 would be helpful.

You did good leaving the bionicles and city sets but not Star Wars. You should have picked up at least a few for a mid term hold.

Lessons learned. Worth another 2hr drive? Oh I forgot that I took one Imperial Shuttle 75094 with me for $49. I wanted to resist but failed, though I already built mine. Perhaps a good move?

3 minutes ago, Buchimuer said:

Lessons learned. Worth another 2hr drive? Oh I forgot that I took one Imperial Shuttle 75094 with me for $49. I wanted to resist but failed, though I already built mine. Perhaps a good move?

2 hour drive -  no - i wouldn't drive there to find out they are  gone.   better off trying to find more 75094s which will do even better than final duel.  this is starting to veer off into the "what set to buy" thread so over and out...

Edited by cladner

1 hour ago, Buchimuer said:

Just passed these set.... A big miss?

953f7fcd4a080782237c49a9d83b9ba5.jpg41be28724530b3eadb26bdc5d2ad3af4.jpg1ef23d349bd0f9e1f1f061a4acd346ba.jpg

1 hour ago, Buchimuer said:

I'm new to Lego investment...Seems 75103 is not a impressive set. so I didn't buy those. I thought about the 75104, but I really don't know how good is this one. Most of my collections are starships/vehicles...

Was looking for a $74 MF, but there was none

I just grab a $19 snowspeeder for myself.

Could you plz share your reasons for buying them?

You've just made a lot of people in SoCal jealous.

The reasons have already been given.  But, basically, yes, you're most likely not going to go wrong with SW at 50% off. It's a risk I'm willing to take, even on the Snowspeeder.  I would have picked up those Morro Dragons as well.  I don't even invest in Minecraft, and I probably would have picked those up too.

35 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

The reasons have already been given.  But, basically, yes, you're most likely not going to go wrong with SW at 50% off. It's a risk I'm willing to take, even on the Snowspeeder.  I would have picked up those Morro Dragons as well.  I don't even invest in Minecraft, and I probably would have picked those up too.

Haha. I was living in SoCal for the last 4yrs. Now I'm in the middle of nowhere. Missing the year long good weather and sunshine .

Edited by Buchimuer

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:
1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

A returned and badly taped IAC is the only SW set I have found below RRP at a WM in SoCal (it was 25% off - didn't pick it up because obviously it had been pilfered and retaped).  I'm sure the only reason I found it was because anybody else who saw it knows it was looted (are the minifigs really worth stealing?)

http://imgur.com/gallery/xjPBUAZ

Also found some 60080 Spaceports and the boxes look pristine.  Ring up as $129.98 when I scan them - $89.99 is starting to look real good now :tommy:

Edited by colossus

6 hours ago, colossus said:

A returned and badly taped IAC is the only SW set I have found below RRP at a WM in SoCal (it was 25% off - didn't pick it up because obviously it had been pilfered and retaped).  I'm sure the only reason I found it was because anybody else who saw it knows it was looted (are the minifigs really worth stealing?)

http://imgur.com/gallery/xjPBUAZ

Also found some 60080 Spaceports and the boxes look pristine.  Ring up as $129.98 when I scan them - $89.99 is starting to look real good now :tommy:

It's got a spider though!

10 hours ago, Miavia7 said:

So do I need to jump on set 75106 for 60 bucks? I think I need to buy all of them but I'm new to this reselling

I'd compare it to the Malevolence. It will probably be a bit more than retail in a couple years. You probably won't lose money at 50% off. Remember selling something of that size means shipping something of that size. The size and weight means it will cost a small chunk of change to move it.

• Like 1

So last night when I was buying the Bionicle set (stop laughing) for my son I also found a Quinjet for $60 ($80 RRP).  I think that's the lowest discount I'll find any set here in SoCal and there was only 1 so I went to check out.  Waited 10 min in line but I was patient and my boy was happy he was going to get to build his Bionicle and a Quinjet.  The cashier rings up the Quinjet and has to remove the security spider. She walks over to some area where they hide the spider removal tool, then as she's walking back to register 10 where I' standing she's tossing the box in the air like a toy and she trips.  Just like you see those NFL videos where the guy gets cocky at the 10 yard line.  Well she was small but still planted her 120 lbs body weight (I'm guessing) right on the Quinjet.

I have been to 21 WMs in the last 2 weeks.  I have not found a single set that hasn't been resealed that is on clearance except for this Quinjet and (2) Bionicle sets and she wrecked it. She just wrecked it. SMH...why!

Needless to say I didn't buy it.  If anybody wants a pancaked Quinjet for $60 in SoCal PM me.

• Like 1

Walking through Walmart tonight and saw a ton of LEGO boxes stacked in the center isle waiting to be stocked.  Started looking at what sets they were and it appears the new wave of sets have arrived.  I saw 3-5 boxes marked "Do not put on shelves until 3/1".  Obviously I didn't buy any of them as they were still in the LEGO shipping boxes.  Going to check very early in the morning to see what hit the shelves.

Sets I saw:

76047 - Black Panther Pursuit (3/1 shelf date)

76050 - Crossbones' Hazard Heist (3/1)

76051 - Super Hero Airport (3/1)

76053 - Gotham City Cycle Chase

76063 - The Flash vs. Captain Cold

21123 - MC Iron Gollem

21124 - MC End Portal

21125 - Minecraft Jungle Treehouse

21126 - The Wither

75133 - Rebels Alliance

10721 - Iron Man vs Loki

10722 - Snake Showdown

70601 - Sky Shark

That's so crazy because I was at the store the other day and I came across the Lego Minecraft Iron Gollum Set 21123. I can't find it available any where online so I said heck I might as well post it on ebay. So I did. Looks like its the only one for sale online. 

I see 2 now...

6 hours ago, stuco191 said:

That's so crazy because I was at the store the other day and I came across the Lego Minecraft Iron Gollum Set 21123. I can't find it available any where online so I said heck I might as well post it on ebay. So I did. Looks like its the only one for sale online. 

1 hour ago, dcdfan said:

I see 2 now...

I just did a little run (Meijer, 2xWalmart) and ALL of them had the new Minecraft sets out on shelves, including Iron Golem. Heck, even Walgreens had an Iron Golem on the shelf for $20.99.