21050 - Architecture Studio

TheOrcKing

I still don't get it. The can see the draw at $120 on sale, and maybe $150 with a freebie. But who are these people shelling out 250 for a box of white bricks and a book? All I can think of is corporate gifts are architectural or construction engineering companies. Or perhaps a required item in some college design study classes.

The book looks really nice...but are there any special white elements? I didn't notice any in my cursory look at the box. I only bought one for $12x at Barnes and noble. I had a couple ordered when Amzn was selling out at 165 with tax...but cancelled at last minute, and decided to try b+****** instead and grab 4 on sale. Unfortunately they only had one left

You are absolutely right - but we have to remember that people don't think like that - they think "official set".

Think about this - you bricklink a set with all new blocks. You market it to someone over an original set with all used blocks. They will still want the used one most times. Why? Its hard to think about a set as a collection of bricks.

I am this way - I literally cringe when people talk about taking a bunch of sets and poring them together. Just bugs me. The people that think like this - however dumb it is - don't want to go to bricklink and buy all these special pieces and find the book. they want it in box, etc. all there and original.

Completely agree with your point, I think this is why though. Same reason crappy sets like Gandalf Arrives will still do well. People will spend 20$ on it because its easier than finding all the peices to build it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the scoop on the Architecture Studio early retirement if you all don't already know, I'm usually the last to know anything. Lego contracted with a publisher to print X number of books not anticipating the demand for the set.

I'm not sure why ,but the publisher is no longer willing to print any additional books, so the early retirement.

I have the scoop on the Architecture Studio early retirement if you all don't already know, I'm usually the last to know anything. Lego contracted with a publisher to print X number of books not anticipating the demand for the set.

I'm not sure why ,but the publisher is no longer willing to print any additional books, so the early retirement.

I guess it is early retirement for the Architecture Studio.

Did you guys see anywhere how would BrickLink order look like, price-wise? I do have unopened 21050, but given the way the prices are, I won't be opening that one.

I read an article saying that to get then all monochrome you would have to pay around 180. That didn't even count the multiple shipping costs From different sellers.

Some insane prices on ebay for this. I'm not a sentimental investor by any means, but a little regret starting to seep in for selling these at 250 each before X-mas, despite almost doubling my investment.  Still think it's going to be coming back, but wow, looking like this will be the best investment of 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't true... I have the book sitting in front of me, no publisher or company labeled in the book except for contributers with designs, and of course The Lego Group. I don't know who told you about the publisher printing a certain number of books, but that is false.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they won't retire the set, which would suck.

I put out a request for information about this set.  I will let everyone know what I find out, obviously the information could be wrong, but it's still nice to know.

I should have used my online name "Reese Eller" (I don't take credit for coming up with that, someone here did)

This isn't true... I have the book sitting in front of me, no publisher or company labeled in the book except for contributers with designs, and of course The Lego Group. I don't know who told you about the publisher printing a certain number of books, but that is false.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they won't retire the set, which would suck.

I used to work in textbook publishing so it's entirely plausible and probable that LEGO is having issues getting the book reprinted. Obviously, getting the bricks and packaging shouldn't be an issue. However, LEGO isn't a book publisher nor do they own a printing press. If they never planned on needing additional print runs, then setting up another "new" print run with a printer is going to take time, months, just getting the book materials back together and dealing with scheduling and distribution issues with a printer. The quality and size of the book (essentially a textbook) means it's going to be complicated. And there could be issues with the authors/contributors regarding royalties and permissions, etc for a reprint.

Lego obviously got caught completely by surprise by its popularity and is probably determining if it's worth their time and effort to get the book reprinted which is why they haven't officially retired it yet.

I used to work in textbook publishing so it's entirely plausible and probable that LEGO is having issues getting the book reprinted. Obviously, getting the bricks and packaging shouldn't be an issue. However, LEGO isn't a book publisher nor do they own a printing press. If they never planned on needing additional print runs, then setting up another "new" print run with a printer is going to take time, months, just getting the book materials back together and dealing with scheduling and distribution issues with a printer. The quality and size of the book (essentially a textbook) means it's going to be complicated. And there could be issues with the authors/contributors regarding royalties and permissions, etc for a reprint.

Lego obviously got caught completely by surprise by its popularity and is probably determining if it's worth their time and effort to get the book reprinted which is why they haven't officially retired it yet.

So, are you guys planning to sit on the ones you still have? I am getting real itchy to sell say at 400. I just don't see why would anyone want it at 500+, given what this set is... If it is mostly a great gift for an architect in one's family, then it is becoming a very expensive gift...

The point grackleflint makes on rights of the images is a good one. Even if they line up a printing press for another run, the rights involved with this stuff can be a nightmare to sort through, speaking from experience on the digital side. 

I think a ceiling around $500 or so is probably accurate, although it could slip higher. Probably will start seeing more "self-made" kits when it gets that high, with illegal color reprints of the book since that could be pretty profitable, especially overseas.