What Lego set did you buy today?

Nice haul where about in South FL are you finding these at Walmart - haven't seen much down in the FT Lauderdale/Miami area?
Thanks

I live in Plantation. Some from the davie Walmart, one across the street from the dolphin stadium and stopped at one in Hialeah. I didn't go any Further south. Normally I hit every store from Coral Springs to Florida city. This clearance wave has been a bit "meh" so I havnt hit up many stores.

On 5/25/2017 at 4:13 PM, fossilrock said:

This is one of my favorite sets from 2014... My son and I found it at clearance at walmart for 25 a while back, and it was a must have.  The Fun at the Beach also looks good.

Came out in 2016, not 2014, had my brain freaking out for a moment.

• Like 3

c2f15e88c036b22f9023fce895afab7f.jpg

The Kmart closing nearest me is at 40% off Lego. Stopped there this morning. They still have all the buildables and smaller sets. Going to wait till 50-60% and see what's left. The marvel sets is for personal and some of this is for@donbee

Glad I was able to get so many phantoms! Seeing how well the first one did makes me happy and this one has better mini figs.

Sweet talked the lady into letting me use some of the coupons. Was able to use 3 of them. Not sure final buy in yet (havnt had time) safe to say roughly 45% off.

• Like 6

My son still had $30 in bday money. Used the 20% off SW promo at Target to get the new constractible speeder bike (75532) for $44, then used $15 in TP GCs to get it down to $29, and used discounted GCs from Raise to get the total w tax to be an even $30. I call that 50% off, not bad for a set that doesn't officially release until 6/1 :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lego Templar said:

I live in Plantation. Some from the davie Walmart, one across the street from the dolphin stadium and stopped at one in Hialeah. I didn't go any Further south. Normally I hit every store from Coral Springs to Florida city. This clearance wave has been a bit "meh" so I havnt hit up many stores.

Thanks - I'll give them a shot and see if any of the SW stuff is still around.

19 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

I think Lego Templar might be the reason you're not finding anything in that area lol

Possibly lol ?

I debating on what set to buy next ! 

• Silent Mary - I want to like this set because i enjoyed the other pirate themes but i don't know if I'm quite sold on it yet 
  • Big Ben - this set looks like a great display piece but seems like it could be a very monotonous build.
  • Helicarrier - this set has some great display and playability to it , but is it worth the money ? 
  • Ghostbuster Firehouse - I have heard the interior detail is great but I have read some downsides? 

What everyone's thoughts?  

Edited by straitiff

2 hours ago, straitiff said:

I debating on what set to buy next ! 

• Silent Mary - I want to like this set because i enjoyed the other pirate themes but i don't know if I'm quite sold on it yet 
  • Big Ben - this set looks like a great display piece but seems like it could be a very monotonous build.
  • Helicarrier - this set has some great display and playability to it , but is it worth the money ? 
  • Ghostbuster Firehouse - I have heard the interior detail is great but I have read some downsides? 

What everyone's thoughts?  

All great picks.

Lately every chance I'm near LLDC, I go in to buy the same thing. Today was no different. yellow submarine for $48 plus $4 corncob guy (always smooshing for him or for rocket boy but so far only corncob guys found) to reach $50 and get free r3-m2 droid polybag. May be little early investing in this ideas set but hard to beat that price after selling droid poly.

image.jpg

Edited by Lordoflego
  • Like 6

Lately every chance I'm near LLDC, I go in to buy the same thing. Today was no different. yellow submarine for $48 plus $4 corncob guy (always smooshing for him or for rocket boy but so far only corncob guys found) to reach $50 and get free r3-m2 droid polybag. May be little early investing in this ideas set but hard to beat that price after selling droid poly.

image.thumb.jpg.41ac5ec65fb61df1d5575d5da7fe0902.jpg

I'd do the same if I could.

LLFL had no droids

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpg.41ac5ec65fb61df1d5575d5da7fe0902.jpg

Save me the R3. Can be a peace offering when you move.
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, Lego Templar said:

c2f15e88c036b22f9023fce895afab7f.jpg

The Kmart closing nearest me is at 40% off Lego. Stopped there this morning. They still have all the buildables and smaller sets. Going to wait till 50-60% and see what's left. The marvel sets is for personal and some of this is for@donbee

Glad I was able to get so many phantoms! Seeing how well the first one did makes me happy and this one has better mini figs.

Sweet talked the lady into letting me use some of the coupons. Was able to use 3 of them. Not sure final buy in yet (havnt had time) safe to say roughly 45% off.

That is a very tricky strategy, buying sets cause the old rendition did great in the past....

Found a local store selling some retired sets. Picked up a bunch of Series 1 Microfighters, some Castle sets and two Technic Helicopters from 2012.

• Series 1 Microfighters Star Destroyer 75033: 10€
  • Series 1 Microfighters Clone Turbo Tank 75028: 10€
  • Castle Forest Ambush 70400: 10€
  • Castle Dragon Mountain 70403: 45€
  • Technic Helicopter 9396: 99€

The castle sets are for me, because I need to get my fix until TLG finally ditches Nexo Knights and starts a new castle line :whistle:

I might go back next week and pick up some more stuff. Prices were kinda high (it's a small store), so I'd need to check what sets are worth the effort. The owner told me someone "raided" his shelves a while ago so I'm guessing most of the good stuff is already gone. Would you guys pick up any of these?

• Technic Mobile Crane MKII 42009: 230€
  • Technic Service Truck 42008: 140€
  • Star Wars Scout Fighter 75051: ??€

There were some more technic sets like the Cargo Plane and Container Truck, but I didn't check the prices. I don't think any were old enough to be worth a ton. Finally, they also had some retired, but kinda meh sets like Turtles and Space Police and some REALLY old stuff like 4402 Sea Riders from 2003, but I didn't buy any of those because the prices were still too high.

Although there weren't any amazing deals, it was still really exciting to see all those retired sets way in the back of a small store :)

Makes you wonder what other stores are still out there with a bunch of retired sets collecting dust...

Sounds like you picked the best of what was left. No point in paying over RRP for those other 3 sets.

Those 9396´s can still be found in the wild, here one place has them for a bargain 195 euros right beside the new one which costs 130 with power functions included. Go figure.

I found a 2006 Bionicle last week (didn´t buy). Maybe we should start a thread for shelf warmer finds and see if anyone can get to pre-2000 MISB.

Edited by Val-E

4 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Sounds like you picked the best of what was left. No point in paying over RRP for those other 3 sets.

Those 9396´s can still be found in the wild, here one place has them for a bargain 195 euros right beside the new one which costs 130 with power functions included. Go figure.

That's what I thought. It's really tempting if you see those sets in store and know they are retired. I'll keep track of the price for that MKII crane. Who knows, they might still be there in a year or so.

To be honest, I expected the other Technic sets (namely the Crane and the Service Truck) to be doing much better than 9396 by now because of 42052's price.

6 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

I bought it today for $200 on Craigslist, asking price was $250. Some of it is pretty damn dusty.

Nice deal. Can't go wrong with trains, especially Santa Fe.

Just so happens I was working on motorizing my 4708 Hogwarts Express this weekend. It's a real simple, but charming build.

Unless Mk2 reaches 350 or so, it is not worth it. More money to be made on smaller sets.

9396 is going for 150 on Ebay so you have maybe a 20% profit after fees. You wonder if these shops ever sell anything or are just a front for some other activity - did they have outdated stuff from other lines too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

You wonder if these shops ever sell anything or are just a front for some other activity - did they have outdated stuff from other lines too.

I don't know how these shops can survive in this day and age. It is located in a more rural area, but people still have internet. Their only customers are basically old people who don't know / want to shop online.

He had some newer stuff like fidget spinners (all sold out!) as well, but the shop was really messy with all kinds of old stuff laying around. The prices are really high and I think the store is pretty low maintenance, so he must be able to get by selling a handful of toys every day. The one thing our country does have is a lot of tax advantages for self employed people. I'm not sure if he'd be able to survive in another country.

He did start this whole rant about his business. Obviously there's a lot of competition from "the big guys". Apparently the big chains pretty much ask suppliers for a price. And they get it, or they don't sell the product in stores. He told me Playmobil has to pay per meter of shelve space in stores. Not sure if this is true for Lego as well. He also said something about other brick building brands like BanBao and Sluban. Those guys are getting more and more popular. He refuses to sell it because "it is pure junk", but that's not stopping the big stores from selling it. He also commented on TLG's market position in general and confirmed that they are in trouble because they got too greedy. A lot of stores have leftover SW stock they cannot get rid of while new sets keep coming out. He went to the toy fair in Nuremberg and said he was amazed by the new flood of SW sets when he has trouble selling stuff from TFA. Meanwhile prices are ever increasing. I noticed he didn't have any new Star Wars set after TFA, so he must be pretty pessimistic about the future of Lego Star Wars.

I think it's clear to most people by now that retail is a dying business anyway.

5 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

He did start this whole rant about his business. Obviously there's a lot of competition from "the big guys". Apparently the big chains pretty much ask suppliers for a price. And they get it, or they don't sell the product in stores. He told me Playmobil has to pay per meter of shelve space in stores. Not sure if this is true for Lego as well. He also said something about other brick building brands like BanBao and Sluban. Those guys are getting more and more popular. He refuses to sell it because "it is pure junk", but that's not stopping the big stores from selling it. He also commented on TLG's market position in general and confirmed that they are in trouble because they got too greedy. A lot of stores have leftover SW stock they cannot get rid of while new sets keep coming out. He went to the toy fair in Nuremberg and said he was amazed by the new flood of SW sets when he has trouble selling stuff from TFA. Meanwhile prices are ever increasing. I noticed he didn't have any new Star Wars set after TFA, so he must be pretty pessimistic about the future of Lego Star Wars.

Sounds like maybe I have a long lost Belgian brother à la Austin Powers.