Retiring Soon - open speculation

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, chaozz said:

Big sets seem to live on forever, I won't buy them anymore

Treehouse is top contender for sure.

Hagrids Hut, San Francisco, Dubai, Corvette, Baronyx & Bowers Castle still available at amazon really throws a curveball...

You can be right with your entry price, right at picking a winning set, right in trusting the retiring list, and still not make money on the investment because amazon stockpiled 7 bajillion of your set you thought was a sure fire winner for the next 5 years post retirement. 

I really wish there was a way to see how many amazon has in stock for something beyond the limit 20. Keepa is worthless for this particular data point.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Treehouse is top contender for sure.

Hagrids Hut, San Francisco, Dubai, Corvette, Baronyx & Bowers Castle still available at amazon really throws a curveball...

You can be right with your entry price, right at picking a winning set, right in trusting the retiring list, and still not make money on the investment because amazon stockpiled 7 bajillion of your set you thought was a sure fire winner for the next 5 years post retirement. 

I really wish there was a way to see how many amazon has in stock for something beyond the limit 20. Keepa is worthless for this particular data point.

Hagrids Hut, San Francisco, Dubai, on my list EOL end of 2022

other 2 are not

10 hours ago, Beatz said:

About the Hogwarts Castle this was postponed to 2024 if I'm not mistaken...or maybe someone has other news about this? I really appreciate the set and will get it but if it's 2024 then I'll wait a bit....

it should be worth noting that the recent trends for big sets are...if the set is "actually" going to retire...they start becoming scarce 6 to 8 months prior (ie no chance at ANY discounts even if you're able to find one)...sometimes it may be OOS at LEGO Shop at Home even long before that.

I find that, for big sets, if I really want it...the best time is actually 1.5 years or so prior to "actual" retirement if I hope to find any deals.  For the Big Hogwarts...I have noted that on Ebay there are some decent deals (save 50-75 bucks so so). This has happened to me  bunch...where I see a deal on a set I want...but I figure I will have more opportunities (and deals) closer to retirement...and then POOF...radio silence until the set is officially retired.

That said, there is always the chance LEGO Shop at Home may have a BF/holiday promo on some soon to retire big sets.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

In recent memory the last time there was a decent deal on big sets just prior to retirement was carousel. Last year there was a mad scramble for Disney trains. Discounts for big sets on SAH have been rare since covid started with the increased demand. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, coelian said:

In recent memory the last time there was a decent deal on big sets just prior to retirement was carousel. Last year there was a mad scramble for Disney trains. Discounts for big sets on SAH have been rare since covid started with the increased demand. 

Jurassic Park Gate, Disney Trains, and 1989 Batmobile are fresh in my mind as "sudden"...no wonder they are all around x2 RRP already.

(I have to kick myself for not getting an extra Jurassic Gate...I literally had the 2nd box on the counter at the LEGO store and then change my mind thinking it wasn't a popular set)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Jurassic Park Gate, Disney Trains, and 1989 Batmobile are fresh in my mind as "sudden"...no wonder they are all around x2 RRP already.

(I have to kick myself for not getting an extra Jurassic Gate...I literally had the 2nd box on the counter at the LEGO store and then change my mind thinking it wasn't a popular set)

My planning says to buy within 6 months of retirement date with promotions and for all of the above I bought according to that plan at my local lego store.  I just bought a batwing with double vip and a forest gwp.  My store was out of stock so that doesn’t always work so got it while on vacation.  In my opinion it will mirror the above 3 in retirement.

26 minutes ago, starwarsxpress said:

My planning says to buy within 6 months of retirement date with promotions and for all of the above I bought according to that plan at my local lego store.  I just bought a batwing with double vip and a forest gwp.  My store was out of stock so that doesn’t always work so got it while on vacation.  In my opinion it will mirror the above 3 in retirement.

Lol, yeah.  Gotta love those projected retirements!

On 6/29/2022 at 10:13 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Yea those were gone quickly after announcements, there was a small window to get the Disney trains on the Swiss lego SAH after eu went oos but I was busy that morning and was too late.... Had only one for myself.