Retiring Soon - open speculation

5 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

It's indeed done. This is probably the most hoarded set ever, me included.

The question is when the remake punches us in the face. 

I personally think, at least in NA, this was one of the best sets and best $ value sets in a long time.  It may be hoarded but there will always be new fans wanting the iconic Saturn V.

Why would you think a remake is coming?

13 minutes ago, lego rules said:

I personally think, at least in NA, this was one of the best sets and best $ value sets in a long time.  It may be hoarded but there will always be new fans wanting the iconic Saturn V.

Why would you think a remake is coming?

I said it 2 times before on this thread:

I think TLG realized the demand was there and $120 is too low for a 2000 piece, 1 meter high, iconic Saturn V. They don't retire their bestseller without no reason, no way. If they price it at 150-180 down the road people will still buy. 

Some say there will be an immediate Creator Expert reissue in January, but why retire it in the first place then? I even heard someone say that a LEGO employee told it to him, I doubt that though. 

Edited by elmaslıefendi
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I even heard someone that a LEGO employee told it to him....

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that.

I personally think there may be a lot of backlash re-releasing an Ideas set which the original designer receives a royalty for and would not for a creator re-release.

1 minute ago, MrToes16 said:

precedent

That is not the precedent.  Sorry.

2 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

It would be funny though.

January 2020:

1575575554686.png

I've only got about 7 S5s, but I'm not sure it's worth me gong deeper than 10 given I think this is a very very real possibility....

In other news, sets are dropping like flies on the NZ/AU LEGO Shop at Home. Gingerbread house GWP is live with bonus Obi-wan and Santa polybags - I swear half their product lines are already out of stock...
Could be good if retiring sets are gone this early!

That being said, the NZ/AU Warehouse has rubbish inventory levels anyway, so maybe it's not a huge deal in the International market...

11 minutes ago, MrSam said:

I've only got about 7 S5s, but I'm not sure it's worth me gong deeper than 10 given I think this is a very very real possibility....

10 isn't that big of a deal. I'm way deeper on these and I regret it, there were some nice safe (and therefore better) Black Friday deals that I couldn't max out. Saturn is a "newbie-hoarder-nobrainer-buy". 

I said it 2 times before on this thread:
I think TLG realized the demand was there and $120 is too low for a 2000 piece, 1 meter high, iconic Saturn V. They don't retire their bestseller without no reason, no way. If they price it at 150-180 down the road people will still buy. 
Some say there will be an immediate Creator Expert reissue in January, but why retire it in the first place then? I even heard someone say that a LEGO employee told it to him, I doubt that though. 

You do realize that Lego retires sets that are incredibly popular all the time without any intent to reissue them, don't you?
  • Like 1

Tbh I was preparing for a 2018 retirement of this set. 85% of my buying was in August-September 2018. 

If I knew it'd run for another year I wouldn't have bought so many.

The original date was actually December 2018 but TLG is sometimes unpredictable even with the official list. 1 1/2 year run would have been insane. This extra year will really hurt this set.

Just now, redcell said:

You do realize that Lego retires sets that are incredibly popular all the time without any intent to reissue them, don't you?

I do. But the Saturn popularity was on another level. 

4 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Tbh I was preparing for a 2018 retirement of this set. 85% of my buying was in August-September 2018. 

If I knew it'd run for another year I wouldn't have bought so many.

The original date was actually December 2018 but TLG is sometimes unpredictable even with the official list. 1 1/2 year run would have been insane. This extra year will really hurt this set.

I do. But the Saturn popularity was on another level. 

I had a sneaky feeling that it wasn't going to retire end of last year. John lewis had that amazing sale on them that was pretty much as good as the lego one just been but without any limits. Very glad I cancelled a big order with them back then, like you said the extra year will kill a lot of the potential this set has.

I bet there's plenty of people on here sat with loads of them, I wonder who has the most (Tabby maybe lol). 

So many people are going to have there cash strapped up in this one for a long time before seeing a good return. Realistically IMO you could probably hope for 150 max for next christmas due to the hoard etc.  That would net you £20 maybe £30 quid if your average buyin was around the 100 mark.  I know that's better than a bank still in terms of interest etc but not that great for a lego set, plus it takes up so much inventory space.

Hope I'm wrong about all this, the lego group defiantly isn't helping matters with the new batches all the time.

1 minute ago, raulaco said:

I bet there's plenty of people on here sat with loads of them, I wonder who has the most (Tabby maybe lol). 

So many people are going to have there cash strapped up in this one for a long time before seeing a good return. Realistically IMO you could probably hope for 150 max for next christmas due to the hoard etc.  That would net you £20 maybe £30 quid if your average buyin was around the 100 mark.  I know that's better than a bank still in terms of interest etc but not that great for a lego set, plus it takes up so much inventory space.

Hope I'm wrong about all this, the lego group defiantly isn't helping matters with the new batches all the time.

Tabby probably warned any- and everyone about these & bought 50.

150 would be OK, that'd give me room to make a nice profit. We'll have to wait & see if it even makes it to 150 till next christmas, there's gonna be so many of these.

2 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Tabby probably warned any- and everyone about these & bought 50.

150 would be OK, that'd give me room to make a nice profit. We'll have to wait & see if it even makes it to 150 till next christmas, there's gonna be so many of these.

I'm sure tabby bought a warehouse full of these from what I remember lol, must be also stuck with a warehouse full of 21312s ( Glad I didn't buy many of those turkeys).

If it does somehow stick around for much longer I will happily off load mine and take a small loss.

There is some positive news though. One of the all time great sets destiny's bounty is showing some real potential, selling like hot cakes at the moment. If the saturn clears stock out like the bounty has been doing then maybe there's hope for all.

One thing I never learned... listen to your kids! Many sets I thought were stinkers came out golden, of which mostly I did not have...
There is truth to that! My kids have opened my eyes to a few sleepers in the past. I will also add wife to that list...my wife has picked out a bunch of winners in the past that I may have overlooked....
  • Like 2