Retiring Soon - open speculation

35 minutes ago, cocobay71 said:

How come there are no indications in the UK some of the sets on this list are going retired? Carousel is just HTF on Lego GB..

The LEGO LEGO Shop at Home website is notoriously unreliable regarding the "retiring soon" tag. Don't use it for your investment strategies. :P 

• Thanks 1

Well, we shouldn't care too much about it.

For example the BB8 (75187) was unfindable for weeks on shop at home europe and suddenly reappeared to be fired out on a heavy discount.

So the PR tag could easily come back, too.

Or may be they just prepare to discount the restaurant on black friday - that would be a big surprise. But who knows, e.g. in the past we've seen the cinema 10232 discounted before leaving the store, too.

Remember, for the most part, the "Retiring Soon" tag is a sales gimmick used to get customers to buy something - typically slow sellers/overstocked sets/sets they need to move because they want to be done with the line, whatever.

Most sets retire without that tag. It's not like LEGO is under any sort of obligation to mark stuff a certain way. They do it to move product.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

Remember, for the most part, the "Retiring Soon" tag is a sales gimmick used to get customers to buy something - typically slow sellers/overstocked sets/sets they need to move because they want to be done with the line, whatever.

Most sets retire without that tag. It's not like LEGO is under any sort of obligation to mark stuff a certain way. They do it to move product.

Are you implying that they don't tag sets "retiring soon" to help resellers know what to buy? Surely you can't be serious... ;)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Migration said:

Are you implying that they don't tag sets "retiring soon" to help resellers know what to buy? Surely you can't be serious... ;)

Don't call me Shirley, I'm a collector and Lego OWES me. 

They owe me retiring tags on all the sets that are retiring.  They owe it to me to retire sets in the order they released.  They owe it to me to retire sets and never bring them back even with a different number and a slightly different piece count.  I am a collector and I demand such things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Migration said:

they do help resellers - to know NOT to buy the turds first  with the retiring soon tag.  sort of the inverse of last kid getting picked for x-ball team.

i'm guessing they slapped the tag on PR - it started selling like hotcakes to clueless post petshop newbs thinking they have a chance making money with some VIP points or nonsenese discounts  and TLG want to have enough stock on black friday/ cybermonday to be able to claim they offered it on sale.  i wouldn't be surprised if we get a fake call 2 check coming up to really juice up demand and keep the small stash available for the grand holiday sales extravaganza.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Don't call me Shirley, I'm a collector and Lego OWES me. 

They owe me retiring tags on all the sets that are retiring.  They owe it to me to retire sets in the order they released.  They owe it to me to retire sets and never bring them back even with a different number and a slightly different piece count.  I am a collector and I demand such things.

If they brand it as a collector item they should handle it that way. I understand the demand you just made fun of.

I'm not a collector, but I would be pissed too if LEGO released an identical clone of an expensive set.

Do it, LEGO, but just admit it's not collecting anymore.

If they brand it as a collector item they should handle it that way. I understand the demand you just made fun of.
I'm not a collector, but I would be pissed too if LEGO released an identical clone of an expensive set.
Do it, LEGO, but just admit it's not collecting anymore.

You mean like the Death Star or Taj Mahal or that frozen castle or that winter set or...
Dude. Stop talking and read back through some of the forums. You might learn something.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/19/2019 at 7:12 AM, Achilles said:

PR has been around for 5 years. We have all had more than ample time to buy it, lol. You would think LEGO would keep the tag on it if they had a bunch of them to sell, or god forbid they have a sale on them. But it would be hard to imagine that there are piles of these sets still in warehouses. However, the big 3 still have them listed at around original asking price and don't have the low stock tag on them, so who knows what will happen. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

whats call to check mean?

been trying to get these for weeks. cant find any at a decent price anywhere.

I haven't done it often, but the couple of times I've called on "call to check" items, I was able to buy 1-2. If you're only looking for one, can't hurt to call.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

us brits don't get money off.

Out means out!

Asda, Tesco, Smyths and Argos have had some stellar deals over the last few years but now that the UK is very much 1.15 islands on their own and without Tesco Direct and TRU, it´s normal that deals are not what they were.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brad W said:

PR has been around for 5 years. We have all had more than ample time to buy it, lol. You would think LEGO would keep the tag on it if they had a bunch of them to sell, or god forbid they have a sale on them. But it would be hard to imagine that there are piles of these sets still in warehouses. However, the big 3 still have them listed at around original asking price and don't have the low stock tag on them, so who knows what will happen. 

Pet Shop was around for I believe 5 years and LEGO had them on sale for Black Friday before it retired. So we may see the same with PR.

Prices on eBay here in Germany have never been under retail price because PR is a LEGO exclusive here.

All the other modulars were/are available at the biggest retailer here, nobody pays full price.

Not with PR. It is the only one they don't have, no clue why, but it raises the price.

Some people already pay 160-170 on eBay even though it's still available at LEGO Shop at Home for 150 + VIP points...

Edited by elmaslıefendi

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Out means out!

Asda, Tesco, Smyths and Argos have had some stellar deals over the last few years but now that the UK is very much 1.15 islands on their own and without Tesco Direct and TRU, it´s normal that deals are not what they were.

exactly. john lewis and smyth's now the only places other than lego to get any decent sets. and most you get is 20% off.

amazon uk is the same nothing decent ever on sale.